Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DME supplier only replaces parts for mask bought from them (Medicare/Insurance)
RE: DME supplier only replaces parts for mask bought from them (Medicare/Insurance)
Sorry for the rant above...  Unsure 

Like probably everyone else with newly diagnosed sleep apnea, it's been confusing and frustrating and something I plain old just would rather not be dealing with.  I'm lucky to have had excellent, caring medical care over the years and have been blindsided by the new experience with this particular DME supplier.  I'm sure the individuals have done their best, and the whole Covid situation sure hasn't helped.

Again, I am so grateful this forum exists.  Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DME supplier only replaces parts for mask bought from them (Medicare/Insurance)
plakky,
No problem with the "rant", we all do it.  And dealing with DME's can be an eye opener.  

I would like to clarify my response to you, as I was addressing your original question in your thread title... "DME only replaces parts for mask bought from them (Medicare/Insurance)

A DME will have on file the mask that you got through them.  So when it's time to order your monthly supply or say replacement nasal piece (which is usually monthly), they are going to question you wanting a part from a totally different mask that you didn't purchase from them.  

Now with that said, you can tell your DME you want to try a different mask when it's time for replacement (3 months), and they should have no issue with that.  Then that mask would be on file for replacement parts.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...t_Schedule

Also, be aware that folk on Medicare don't all have the exact coverage.  Some can get everything totally free, and some like myself have a 20% copay on supplies.  This all depends on your supplemental coverage.  

In order to have piece of mind, call the number on your insurance card, and ask questions above your coverage. I've never let a DME tell me what my coverage is... it's up to you to find out before dealing with them.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OpalRose, lots of helpful information there, so thank you so much for your reply. I do have 100% coverage with my supplemental insurance, so that's one bright spot in all of this!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been supplied with various masks for the last couple of years.  Medicare apparently pays for one mask and two cushions every 90 days.  I have got cushions for masks that I didn't get through the DME and have got a mask and cushions for two different masks at the same time (one mask and two different cushions also different from each other).  I don't believe that Medicare requires any particular mask or that any particular supplies must be supplied to be covered.  There is always a possibility that your doctor wrote a very narrow prescription, in which case that would limit what they can give you.  Most doctors just prescribe "a suitable mask" or some such broad wording.  Check your prescription, to be sure.  If you don't have a copy of the prescription, either the DME or doctor's office  should provide a copy on request.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for this information - it's ideally how I'd hoped my DME supplier would handle resupply. My doctor had to send my second prescription to them three times before they acknowledged receiving it - and he wrote "patient preference" for the mask.

Based on the wide variety of experiences in the replies above, it seems the DME's all have different policies on how/what they will provide for resupply despite what seems to be a very clear Medicare policy and schedule. I will be making some phone calls well before my next replacement date to find out exactly what I am entitled to.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to respond to my questions.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,529 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Angry Former CPAP supplier over charging Bwanajohn51 2 170 03-16-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 156 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [CPAP] Just bought a second hand bilevel, hoping for some help with titration? JohnnyLarueBathrobe 8 282 03-01-2024, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 206 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 275 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.