Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DME suppliers
DME suppliers
Never had to deal with one until I got my CPAP machine. Heard some horror stores though in regards to how bad they can be. 

Anyways, I've been dealing with ROTECH out of Florida. So far, they've been great. I called them a couple of days ago about the lease on my CPAP machine. The gal I spoke to, explained to me in easy to understand terms, how the lease worked and how my insurance coverage inner-acted. She even told me the exact date that my machine would be paid for in full. 

They have an office or subsidiary here locally. Only dealt with them when I went in to get my machine back on Sept. 10th. They seemed to be competent and good at what they do. No problems or issues with them. 

I received some supplies today in the mail. A new Climateline hose, a new face mask / hose elbow, and two new AirFit F20 pillows. I'm doing good as far as spare equipment goes. 

Not sure if this is an example of the industry standard, but I felt that they (ROTECH) should be recognized for the very good job they've been doing for me.  Well-done
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DME suppliers
Glad you've found a DME that serves you well.  A couple of the larger chains in the U.S. (Apria & Lincare) have a somewhat less desirable reputation, overall. Although if you are polite and stick to your guns, you can eventually get what you want. Just realize that most DMEs lie and misrepresent on a regular basis.

That said, many times it depends upon the local office of the supplier in question.  If they have good, reasonable and helpful staff, you're set.  But sometimes they don't and you'll be frustrated to no end.  In the end, they are all in business to make money, so keep that in mind.  Their primary goal is to maximize profit, not necessarily be overly helpful to the patient.  The quicker they can get you out of their office or off the phone, the better it is for their bottom line.  For brick-and-mortar DMEs, the patient is seen more of as a "necessary inconvenience", and the insurance companies are more of their customer than you are, since those types of DMEs get paid via insurance.

That's why many folks here like dealing with online DMEs (those who don't accept insurance), because with those companies, you are the customer (you pay them directly), and they have no relationship at all with an insurance company.

CPAP manufacturers see the DMEs as "their customer".
Brick and mortar DMEs see the insurance company as "their customer".
Online DMEs see you the patient as "their customer".

Just keep that in mind when dealing with any of these entities.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I think that I was very lucky to have received the CPAP machine that I did. I didn't request any one brand or model. Didn't know enough about them to even consider a certain brand or model. I just accepted what I was given. 

I am learning quickly enough though, thanks in part to this forum and it's fine members. Knowledge is empowerment.  Great-info
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess I have too much Scottish blood in me but I just couldn't bear buying my machine from the local Brick and Mortar stores because they priced the machine at exactly the upper limit of what our insurance would pay. Sure, I wouldn't have to pay anything out of pocket but the whole plan does, and that comes back in our rates. I would be willing to pay some extra, but not 3X the price (additional $1600!) of an on-line store for the same thing!

So, I know you can't refer to on line suppliers directly, so I won't. When sourcing a machine for myself about 4 years ago and then for my wife just recently, I looked at the list here on the board and then did a search. I'm in Canada and ended up getting a machine from one store and the appropriate mask from another. Is there a way to request that these two Canadian stores be put on the suppliers list- I got pretty good service from them.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2018, 12:05 PM)fozsleep Wrote: I guess I have too much Scottish blood in me but I just couldn't bear buying my machine from the local Brick and Mortar stores because they priced the machine at exactly the upper limit of what our insurance would pay.  Sure, I wouldn't have to pay anything out of pocket but the whole plan does, and that comes back in our rates.  I would be willing to pay some extra, but not 3X the price (additional $1600!) of an on-line store for the same thing!  

So, I know you can't refer to on line suppliers directly, so I won't. When sourcing a machine for myself about 4 years ago and then for my wife just recently, I looked at the list here on the board and then did a search.  I'm in Canada and ended up getting a machine from one store and the appropriate mask from another.  Is there a way to request that these two Canadian stores be put on the suppliers list- I got pretty good service from them.

While the site rules prohibit posting links, you can name the stores as long as you don't include the .com, .ca and other parts of a URL. New stores are added to the Supplier list based on nomination by the Advisory Members, and voting in a poll. The Advisory Member forum is only visible to the members of that group. We will take any suggestions made in the forum and propose it for addition. You can name the stores, describe them and identify their location and even phone number, we just can't allow links in order to keep Apnea Board's noncommercial educational status that enables the forum to distribute the clinical manuals.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's great you had a nice experience with a DME!

I do feel like a good DME can be a unicorn. The bad ones are much easier to find.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2018, 12:50 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(12-23-2018, 12:05 PM)fozsleep Wrote: I guess I have too much Scottish blood in me but I just couldn't bear buying my machine from the local Brick and Mortar stores because they priced the machine at exactly the upper limit of what our insurance would pay.  Sure, I wouldn't have to pay anything out of pocket but the whole plan does, and that comes back in our rates.  I would be willing to pay some extra, but not 3X the price (additional $1600!) of an on-line store for the same thing!  

So, I know you can't refer to on line suppliers directly, so I won't. When sourcing a machine for myself about 4 years ago and then for my wife just recently, I looked at the list here on the board and then did a search.  I'm in Canada and ended up getting a machine from one store and the appropriate mask from another.  Is there a way to request that these two Canadian stores be put on the suppliers list- I got pretty good service from them.

While the site rules prohibit posting links, you can name the stores as long as you don't include the .com, .ca and other parts of a URL. New stores are added to the Supplier list based on nomination by the Advisory Members, and voting in a poll. The Advisory Member forum is only visible to the members of that group. We will take any suggestions made in the forum and propose it for addition. You can name the stores, describe them and identify their location and even phone number, we just can't allow links in order to keep Apnea Board's noncommercial educational status that enables the forum to distribute the clinical manuals.

Right Thanks.  I got my CPAP machine, a Resmed Autotset for Her from PapSmart, located in Vaughan Ontario Canada.  The machine was very reasonably priced and delivery as very fast.  They originally sent the Airsense 10 and not the 'For Her" model, so I requested a change.  They sent the proper model out immediately and I simply returned the wrong unit no problem.  

I used them again when I ordered my wife's machine.  They had a pre-Christmas sale on so it was even less money.  They were responsive to e-mails and chat sessions.

Unfortunately they didn't have the Dreamstation Full face mask that my wife needed, so I ordered that one through another Canadian supplier, CanadaCpapSupply  .  The process there was also pretty easy, and I also got a 12V adapter to try out when we are camping.

Both suppliers were recognized by our Med insurance with no problems.  I'm sure the plan and other members are happy I saved about $3,200 between the two machines. Having this board and the SleepyHead program made the decision easy to not just go with the local Brick and Mortar shops.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I'll start a nomination thread to add to the supplier list, and let you know how it goes. We have heard of PapSmart before from other forum members.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recommendations for national suppliers? HenryBowman 2 391 01-04-2024, 09:51 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Airsense 10 with modem safe from suppliers? HappySailor 3 767 07-02-2023, 12:54 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  do all listed suppliers accept insurance for accessories, masks, etc hELpMePls2023 4 575 01-22-2023, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Resmed AirView registration by online suppliers? orand 10 3,698 03-22-2021, 01:20 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Best U.S. suppliers for masks? newmar 10 1,350 03-01-2021, 11:58 PM
Last Post: newmar
  [Equipment] Any CPAP Suppliers Who Don't Bill Deductible? msmith404040 0 626 02-12-2021, 01:20 PM
Last Post: msmith404040
  Do any of our suppliers offer an at home sleep study? dlucibello 2 897 05-13-2020, 03:32 PM
Last Post: jaswilliams

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.