Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DME to provide NEW PAP machine?
Question 
DME to provide NEW PAP machine?
I have read so far both sides of this conversation and still confused. I understand the DME gets back used machines but I personally want a NEW one if I'm going to have to depend on it for 5+ years.  I am finally about to get a prescription for either a Bi-PAP or ASV and need to understand my rights for medicare insurance.
I have used an APAP (unofficially) prior to the sleep study so I know the prescribed unit will be utilized.  Do I have the right to demand the DME supply me with a NEW machine?  From what I have gathered, medicare RENTS that unit for 13 months and my supplemental pays 20% of that rent.  With a Doctor's certification that the unit was beneficial to the condition, after the 13 months I then own THAT unit.  Correct?
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DME to provide NEW PAP machine?
Think of it as Rent to Own. You want a NEW unit.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2017, 11:43 AM)bonjour Wrote: Think of it as Rent to Own.  You want a NEW unit.

Right, I WANT a new unit, but do I have a right to DEMAND a new unit?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2017, 11:32 AM)zzzZorro Wrote: I have read so far both sides of this conversation and still confused. I understand the DME gets back used machines but I personally want a NEW one if I'm going to have to depend on it for 5+ years.  I am finally about to get a prescription for either a Bi-PAP or ASV and need to understand my rights for medicare insurance.
I have used an APAP (unofficially) prior to the sleep study so I know the prescribed unit will be utilized.  Do I have the right to demand the DME supply me with a NEW machine?  From what I have gathered, medicare RENTS that unit for 13 months and my supplemental pays 20% of that rent.  With a Doctor's certification that the unit was beneficial to the condition, after the 13 months I then own THAT unit.  Correct?
Thanks

You are entirely right in your reasoning and the specifications.

Medicare gets you a NEW machine.

Look carefully at the equipment. Is it "shop-worn"? Scuffed? Does the power cord have that kinky "newly unwrapped" look? Are there dust particles in unlikely places?

Find out from this board (I'm only familiar with my own machine) how to tell on the spot whether the machine is used. It has an "odometer" (usage hours) that the DME can't change. Write down the instructions if they're hard to remember.

Watch to see that hose, masks, anything is opened in front of you.

Don't sign for anything without verifying you have it in your sack of equipment.

Have the doctor write the exact prescription for the exact model you want with no substitutions. It should spell out everything, including hose type, humidifier, "mask of choice".... Get a copy of the prescription. Folks at this forum can tell you what machine you should angle for. Then negotiate this with your doctor.

Read up on the two or more threads written in the last 2 weeks on DME/Medicare fraud.

Ask for support and further instrux here.

Good luck from an "almost ripped-off senior citizen" who wised up with the help of the ApneaBoard.
Post Reply Post Reply
Of course you have the right! They can't make you take a used one. You have the right to walk out and go somewhere else!
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
You will be paying Full Price either way. IMHO absolutely you have the right to get a new unit. Check the RUN hours, not the treatment hours.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good point, You have the right to use any DME your insurance allows.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2017, 12:27 PM)zzzZorro Wrote:
(10-10-2017, 11:43 AM)bonjour Wrote: Think of it as Rent to Own.  You want a NEW unit.

Right, I WANT a new unit, but do I have a right to DEMAND a new unit?

YES. 

And you are encouraged to get demanding.  Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Gentlemen, EXACTLY what I was looking for Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2017, 12:57 PM)zzzZorro Wrote: Thanks Gentlemen, EXACTLY what I was looking for Grin

Great....

But may I put in a plea for less gender-specificity?  Wink
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,042 Yesterday, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,850 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,339 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Any help you can provide JazzyJess 8 1,132 12-19-2020, 08:24 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Do oxygen concentrators provide the same benefits as hyperbaric oxygen chambers? WWu777 3 1,479 09-27-2020, 08:45 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [CPAP] 'mild' apnea but increasing. Can anybody provide tips? Willem1978 17 2,176 09-17-2020, 12:42 PM
Last Post: Willem1978
  Can someone provide insight? joannebc 32 3,535 02-08-2020, 08:48 PM
Last Post: Geer1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.