Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DME tried to give me used equipment
DME tried to give me used equipment
This is a note of EXTREME appreciation. I went to pick up my CPAP et al. from the DME and I needed every little morsel of DME advice y'all gave me.

The unit is a Resmed Airsense Autoset 10 for Her.

I walk in to the room, and the CPAP is sitting on the desk. It looks a little shop-worn to me. Just an itsy bitsy bit. Could have been from the lighting.

The salesperson showed me a few things and got the hose out of its sealed bag. I made sure I watched her open it, since now I was suspicious.

When I had a chance, I looked down at the power cord. It had no kinks where it had been folded in the factory. It had specks in the lengthwise fold between the wires.

So, I asked the salesperson to show me on the unit what the usage hours were. I said the CPAP was out on the desk when I walked in, and I hadn't seen her get it out of the box. (There was no box in evidence in the room, either). So I just needed to verify that it was new equipment, since my insurance company was paying for new equipment.

She said, "I took it out of the box just before you came in. It was new."

I asked her to show me on the user panel what the user hours are. She point at usage, noted the zero. Ha! She pointed to MY user hours, which indeed should have been zero.

I told her I needed the machine's user hours.

She said, "No one has asked me to do that before" Secret wink from me to ApneaBoard.  Big Grin

So I showed her, thinking to myself: "they said to press this one and this, oh yes, dang that didn't work, oh, you have to do that for a few seconds, and then where....got it!"  Laugh-a-lot

544 hours.

I said, "My insurance company is paying for new equipment."

"Let me check with my supervisor." Righty-ho.

She returns and says, "We're a rental company. You're just renting"  Laugh-a-lot

Moi: "My insurance company is paying for new equipment, and besides, after the rental period is over, it'll be mine. How would you like to handle this?"

She: "This is the only one we have in stock."

Moi: "It's used. My insurance company is paying for new equipment."

She: "Well, you can take this one and use it while we order you a new unit."

Moi: "How long will it take to get the new unit?"

She: "A week." (Ya'll know she could have overnighted it if she had wanted to.)

Moi, hyper-alert at this point: "I'd like that in writing. That there'll be an exchange in one week for a new unit."

She: "Absolutely. No problem. We'd be happy to put it in writing."

She starts to write stuff at her desk. She seems to be writing a whole essay, and I can hear her crossing a whole lot of stuff out.  Too-funny

She bolts from the room.

The other person in the room (maybe a trainee) decides that would be a good moment to try on masks. She decides to measure my nose with a plastic thingy, making no effort whatever to Purell it before she places it right under the nostrils. She hung the thing back on the wall, likewise with no attention to cleanliness. [Pity the next person: it's flu season.]

By now, I'm thinking I'm not sure I want to try on masks attached to used equipment, since disinfection doesn't seem to be their strong suit.

I had a little list in mind (I have a wonky jaw, so my top priority is where the headgear goes across my face.) for masks, including priorities. They had never had anyone come in requesting a specific model.  Oh-jeez

The trainee could only find one that was close-ish: a Resmed N10.

I watched her get it out of a brand new bag.

I probably could have got the N10 to work. Heck, I realized I could breathe more easily with a CPAP than I can when I'm fully awake. It was like breathing nirvana. Plus, my mouth shuts very nicely when I have fresh air running through my nostrils.

[One of the hardest things about the N10, by the way, was that I couldn't take it apart: my fingers are too stiff. Luckily, from my prior prep work, I knew to make sure I could do that.]

In the meantime, the salesperson returns to the room with a pristine box. Yeppers, a brand new Resmed A10A for Her. It was "in the back".  Laugh-a-lot She assembled it and showed me that it had 0 usage hours.

Back to the masks. I thought I'd just go with the N10, but at the last minute decided to try on another model for comparison's sake. They don't have most anything, no Dreamwear cushion, no Swift FX Nano...

Scrape my brains: "P10?" [for my part, this was blind faith in y'all, 'cos I know you're P10 fanatics] She didn't know what that was..... Oh-jeez

The trainee came back with an F&P something or other, but since I didn't know anything about it, I didn't want to go there.

Finally, the salesperson told the trainee what a P10 is and where to find it.  Unsure But that it was a pillow and I would be unlikely to like it.

I pretty much slung that P10 on, experienced another batch of breathing nirvana until I tried to talk, and decided it was so "easy breezy beautiful" whatever, I would make it work.  I could be in for a rude shock, but I knew I could get my advisory committee at ApneaBoard to guide me through leak perfection.

I also double-checked that my fingers can disassemble the mask for cleaning.

The salesperson leaves the room AGAIN. She neglected to close the door to the hallway completely. I hear a VERY loud voice.

"Just get her to SIGN. Get her to sign." How did I know she meant me? Dielaughing

All this made me read every detail in that paperwork before I signed...I questioned everything I wasn't sure about. I verified the supplies schedule, the compliance schedule (I actually think what they told me is incorrect, so I asked for the correct one in writing.), the type of filter, the SD card.....

All I wanted to do was get out of there at this point.....I practically RAN to the car. Sloshed Purell hither and yon to get rid of cooties and a bad experience. Zoomed out of there.

Gads, these people could have saved themselves a whole lot of CPAP by doing this right in the first place.

I can't even imagine trying to deal with all this without thorough preparation from y'all. I needed every little morsel I gathered from here.  Thanks

Now I just have to make the mask work, but you'll help, correct?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DME tried to give me used equipment
Good work and nice equipment choices.  We'll be glad to help.

Also, please note the Tip" jar on the way out. Big Grin
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are now forever known by them as "Their Worst Nightmare".  Good job.  We take far too much for granted when dealing with these kinds of people.

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:She decides to measure my nose with a plastic thingy, making no effort whatever to Purell it before she places it right under the nostrils. She hung the thing back on the wall, likewise with no attention to cleanliness. [Pity the next person: it's flu season.]

OMG... O.M.G! I haven't even finished reading the whole thing, but you've got me in stitches. But that?! Pardon me while I puke.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congratulations to you!  like

You rock.

I  pity the next person who orders that machine.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Told ya so!   Laugh-a-lot
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Now I check the bag with my mask in it, seeing as the DME told me the P10 for Her size small was "your size". I was thinking maybe that's all they had in stock (or the person right before me rejected it and I was a suitable candidate), and maybe I was rash in heading to the exit in a rush to de-cootie myself.

I needn't have worried, exactly.  They gave me a package that seems to come with XS S and M. Good thing. Now I just have to de-cootie the mask that they put their non-Purelled hands all over. Plus the extra schnozzer plugs that someone might have played BDSM with for all I know. This project could take a few hours...

As I look at the mask bag again, I'm thinking it may not have been opened in front of me; it could have been open already and just unzipped. Man, I'm a masochist: this could take a few days...

Pity the person who gets the N10 mask I didn't take. It probably went right back on the shelf. It's flu season.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dissassembly and cootie removal instructions per ResMed.
Commercial Link Removed, instead search cpapman website for manual, or see link at top of page for manuals.
https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...er_eng.pdf

Good job with DME!

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi HalfAsleep,
CONGRATULATIONS!
on getting your new machine.
Good job on making them jump through hoops for a change.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-28-2017, 05:36 PM)Margali Wrote: Dissassembly and cootie removal instructions per ResMed.
Commercial Link Removed, instead search cpapman website for manual or see link at top of page for manuals.
https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...er_eng.pdf

Good job with DME!

Thanks. I had no trouble disassembling the P10 once I didn't try too hard. I seriously couldn't detach the next-to-skin piece on the N10.

Now I'll deal with the sterilization. I seem to be procrastinating.

I probably should have insisted that the DME keep stuff clean, but decided in the moment to pick my battles. So many folks who have CPAP must be immune-frail, not to mention disease-laden from being at the nearby major hospital. It's mind-boggling how cavalier they were with basic cleanliness. There was no Purell in sight.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Best place to buy cpap equipment in Dubai or UAE Foxhunt 6 546 02-14-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Macka
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 376 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] Successful equipment modification tcurran 8 553 01-05-2024, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  hammer44 - ASV Therapy Equipment Question hammer44 11 602 01-01-2024, 01:47 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Can someone give an opinion on these results ? Gregsleep 11 819 09-20-2023, 11:18 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Can anyone give me a quick rundown on the ResMed 'For Her' settings? Robert89 2 505 09-16-2023, 11:04 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] CPAP Equipment Selection mgonthier 1 333 09-13-2023, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.