Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DMEs again: RT job description or duties
DMEs again: RT job description or duties
The other day, while web-searching for something else, I found a set of instructions for changing the pressure on the Sullivan/Resmed S6 CPAP machine (which wasn't all that long ago on the timeline; we're at Resmed generation 10 now), so I glanced at that just from curiosity, and I was surprised to find that even at that late date, the adjustments had to be done by a technician using a manometer and probably wearing a white lab coat in a clean-room environment (OK, just kidding about that last part).

So it made me speculate (and that's all this is) that maybe one reason there's a general problem these days with DMEs being unhelpful to the sleep-apnea patients is that the personnel who dispense & maintain the CPAP hardware at those unfriendly neighborhood retail venues don't have much to do now, compared to olden times.  Back when it was skilled labor, presumably the RT was a necessary & respected (???) member of the medical team (again I'm just guessing), even though there wasn't much actual therapy involved.  But now the RT is, in most cases, only a supply sergeant dispensing equipment from a stock room and occasionally pushing buttons on the machines to adjust the pressures, and there's no therapy involved.  A sad come-down from a once high & mighty position?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DMEs again: RT job description or duties
I'm not so sure.  Back when bricks were real bricks, and there wasn't much to choose from, RT's had to find creative ways to help people to breathe through their several and varied respiratory disorders and diseases.  Now, not only is the science behind apnea control more sophisticated, but so are the diagnostics, analyses, and treatments.  Seems to me some RTs are really still earning their keep.

In my case, a small n of merely 1, my RT receive the prescription for a trial, and it was she who had to monitor my early treatment, adjusting the machine remotely as was needed.  She provided the instruction and explanations to me, and offered to cover what the short interview (via Skype) with the sleep doctor didn't gel or get revealed.  I feel she was highly instrumental in my recovery and ongoing maintenance.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think people confuse RT's with Nurses and Doctors which they are not. They don't make decisions on treatment. They follow the directions given them.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2018, 02:09 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: I think people confuse RT's with Nurses and Doctors which they are not. They don't make decisions on treatment. They follow the directions given them.

I don't know if my own RT is also a nurse, but found out last week that my father's RT, at another DME, is.  It was she who expressed great concern for me as a 'taper'.  She said that her experience as a nurse leads her to fear for me in the long term.  It's the aging skin.  She says it generally gets paper-thin with age and that repeatedly removing tape from over the mouth could end up in skin tears.  For me, the user of an anti-clotting agent, this would not be a salutary development.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question DMEs in the PNW (Story & Question) SquishySquishCat 9 756 01-28-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Recommended DMEs? Apria is awful tierdal 12 1,819 12-03-2021, 02:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question CPAP newbie, trying to avoid DMEs entirely. Need advice on what I'm doing. harrisrobin 10 1,503 11-10-2020, 01:21 AM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  DMEs Deborah K. 2 839 07-02-2020, 02:06 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Question about dealing with DMEs 17WRX 10 1,521 10-25-2019, 05:37 PM
Last Post: Bubba45
  Tucson, AZ: Good Doctors and DMEs for Apnea? 17WRX 8 1,976 10-13-2019, 03:50 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Idea [News] DMEs to begin delivering CPAPs for your pet ApneaNews 26 5,438 04-03-2016, 03:36 PM
Last Post: FrankNichols

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.