Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Learning to use OSCAR. Would appreciate suggestions
Learning to use OSCAR. Would appreciate suggestions
Hello folks!

First of all, I wanted to thank so many of you that give advice here. I have learned a lot from all of you. 

I have been using an Airsense 10 for almost 3 years for severe OSA (started with AHI 46). I have tried more masks than I remember and have finally settled with the Resmed F30i. That shape appears to work well with my face. However, during the past weeks, I switched from the F30i to the Dreamwear (broken F30i and could not get one, and given that the Dreamwear has a similar shape) and I have been struggling with it. I am unsure what has changed but my quality of sleep went down significantly.

Since then, I have tried to learn how to use OSCAR, but I'm failing to understand how and what to modify to improve my sleep therapy. I have attached the screenshots of last night. My AHI is still down (a little higher than usual, though), but my quality of sleep is worse than it was a couple of weeks ago. I have my settings on 10-14 cm H2O and 25 C for the heated tube. Nothing else has changed. I would appreciate guidance on how and what to adjust. 

Thank you very much! 
Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Learning to use OSCAR. Would appreciate suggestions
Hi and welcome. Smile

I just wanted to double-check the pressure, because that chart says 10-20?

Do you have data from when you were using the other mask?

It's entirely possible that it's simply that this mask isn't as comfy and you're sleeping less well.

It does look like you had a small positional issue, where you had the cluster of OAs right before the pressure ramped up and you woke up. Was that what woke you? Or were you awake for a while before you stopped the machine?

I also notice that you have a fair few leak "spikes" - while this isn't really a problem therapy-wise, it can also be enough to disturb you too, which might leave you feeling less well-rested potentially.

It would be interesting to see where exactly your numbers are raised - do you always have those centrals or are they new, for example? Which kind of events are now more common to have raised your values, basically. If you have the older data too, with your usual mask, that might give us some idea of what's changed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Fiorm, and welcome.

Thanks for posting your charts. I see you posted 3 charts for one night: that way you will use up your allocated data quickly, it's also a lot of work.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization is a must read. Read about the what charts to include and the magic F12 button.
When you line everything up on one chart we can more easily see what's what.

Remember to right click the Chart label and hit the Pin button. That way things will stay where you want them.

If you get rid of the pie chart we can see all the things we need to see under the Machine Settings etc.

If you on a windows machine with a mouse with scroll button: click in left pane at Machine settings, hold down the Control key and scroll the scroll button to help fit everything, esp if you are on a small sreeen or laptop.

Keep posting, the experts will chip in soon enough!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2021, 02:20 AM)Ratchick Wrote: Hi and welcome. Smile

I just wanted to double-check the pressure, because that chart says 10-20?

Do you have data from when you were using the other mask?

It's entirely possible that it's simply that this mask isn't as comfy and you're sleeping less well.

It does look like you had a small positional issue, where you had the cluster of OAs right before the pressure ramped up and you woke up. Was that what woke you? Or were you awake for a while before you stopped the machine?

I also notice that you have a fair few leak "spikes" - while this isn't really a problem therapy-wise, it can also be enough to disturb you too, which might leave you feeling less well-rested potentially.

It would be interesting to see where exactly your numbers are raised - do you always have those centrals or are they new, for example? Which kind of events are now more common to have raised your values, basically. If you have the older data too, with your usual mask, that might give us some idea of what's changed.

Thank you!

You are absolutely right. I changed the pressures for that night to 10-20, to try and see if it made a difference. Thank you for catching that. 

The mask I believe is less comfy, but I am quickly getting used to it. However, I am continuing to struggle with this. 

Regarding the leak spikes, I agree with you, they are an issue. This is what is most bothering me from the Dreamwear, which I did not experience with the F30i. But I'm learning how to use the mask correctly and I believe this is improving. 

Interestingly, after reading the forum for a while, yesterday I decided to lower my pressures to a minimum of 8. I believe it helped to some degree. Definitely less aerophagia, so that's good. 

What do you mean about raised numbers? To be honest, I am just starting with OSCAR so there is a lot I still don't understand. 

Thank you again for your input!

(09-15-2021, 03:16 AM)SevereApnea Wrote: Hi Fiorm, and welcome.

Thanks for posting your charts. I see you posted 3 charts for one night: that way you will use up your allocated data quickly, it's also a lot of work.

is a must read. Read about the what charts to include and the magic F12 button.
When you line everything up on one chart we can more easily see what's what.

Remember to right click the Chart label and hit the Pin button. That way things will stay where you want them.

If you get rid of the pie chart we can see all the things we need to see under the Machine Settings etc.

If you on a windows machine with a mouse with scroll button: click in left pane at Machine settings, hold down the Control key and scroll the scroll button to help fit everything, esp if you are on a small sreeen or laptop.

Keep posting, the experts will chip in soon enough!

Thanks! This is a very good link and info, I will follow those instructions from now on. 
Appreciate it!
Post Reply Post Reply
You mentioned that your AHI was higher than usual in your initial post. I was wondering what part of the AHI has led to that increase (i.e. is it CAs, OAs or Hypopneas).

Hopefully, those leaks will ease off as you get more used to the mask - it can take a while to figure it out and get a good, comfortable fit.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,922 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 248 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Help - Initial Titration Suggestions gli890 2 304 02-17-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Dreamstation 2 feels like it isn't treating my apnea (any suggestions)? Sunday3 4 287 02-05-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Decent - but we all deserve better than that! Suggestions please. CPAPveteran 9 586 12-28-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Chin Strap Suggestions Jose Castro 9 819 12-17-2023, 08:09 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Flow Rate Interpretation and PAP Mode / Pressure Settings Suggestions ABC1234 3 605 10-16-2023, 07:34 PM
Last Post: ABC1234

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.