Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DON'T use maskswith magnetic fastener with ICD/Pacemaker
DON'T use maskswith magnetic fastener with ICD/Pacemaker
I am about to get a Implantable Cardioconverter Defibrillator (ICD) in about a week. That sucker will shock me if it doesn't like my heart rate, preventing a fatal heart attack! It also does not like magnetic fields within 6" of the device. That specifically includes magnetic fasteners on a cpcp mask. I use a Resmed Air Soft F20, that I really like,  but it has the magnetic catches. Where do I go from here? Surely this is NOT something unknown to manufacturers of our equipment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DON'T use maskswith magnetic fastener with ICD/Pacemaker
First, Good Luck!, in your upcoming surgery.

Now, about the mask; You may wish to try the F&P Vitera or Simplus FFM. The Vitera is the newest of the 2 designs. Neither use magnets.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife has a pacemaker therefore I will never get a magnetic closure mask.

What most people don't know is that magnets are used to periodicallytest these units.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for posting the warning. I knew about it because my cardio doc was talking pacemaker awhile back when I was using a Wisp mask with magnets. It could be converted back to the snap fastener however. No I use the F20--hopefully will stay away from a pacemaker for awhile. You might check with your DME or Resmed to see if they have a solution.
Post Reply Post Reply
The way insurance is played out, I need to wait for the new prescription before trying out any masks.  I had gotten two new Airfit F20 masks at my first of two nights of studies.  I cut the magnets out of one of them and pop riveted it back together. That means the strap has to be released to get it off, but  now I'm looking at 6 days before surgery, and 3 weeks till the second study. I didn't like the piece going to my forehead with the Quattro the first sleep study  I had in 2014 at all. I'm hearing from  providers the F30 is a much better mask than the Dreamwear FFM. I don't know yet, cause I can't try them out yet, without expense to me. The magnets will have to be removed if no other solution is offered.
Post Reply Post Reply
What about removing the magnetic catches and then sewing on a piece of velcro instead -- with the smooth side against your face. That would eliminate all metal.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Velcro is a great idea! The Doc who installed my ICD today suggested I not use one with the magnetic catches until he tests the one I have for strength in a couple of weeks. I'm still 3 weeks out before my next sleep study. I will take my "Frankenstein" model with me then,  depending on what he says.
Post Reply Post Reply
I spoke with my EP's nurse and she gave me the Abbott phone number who manufactured my device. I gave him the serial number and he said "Do not use the masks with magnets, only those with Velcro."  He says that they get a lot of questions on that subject. So, there it is, officially from the maker of my ICD.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know about in the US but in the UK, it's stated clearly not to use magnetic fasteners with a pacemaker so no, it's definitely known about.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Curing CSA by upgrading to CRT pacemaker? Per Laursen 1 178 03-02-2024, 11:44 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  CPAP and pacemaker KC8RXQ 1 800 04-05-2022, 03:06 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Cpap and pacemaker difibrillator Nnemoyer 2 657 03-18-2021, 07:32 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  ResMed F10 magnetic clips jbrill65 1 1,205 06-23-2019, 10:03 AM
Last Post: yrnkrn
  Magnetic closure masks - Warning Gideon 9 5,483 02-20-2019, 02:35 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  [CPAP] can pacemaker users use CPAP machine wt92555 10 9,013 10-02-2016, 07:16 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
Surprised [Treatment] Experiences with phrenic nerve (diaphram) pacemaker fstellab 9 4,252 01-05-2015, 11:37 AM
Last Post: fstellab

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.