Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DREAMSTATION WHISTLE
DREAMSTATION WHISTLE
Hello   
I am new to this forum.  I thought I would post the issue I have with a Respironics Dreamstation machine.    I recently was changed from a CPAP to a BiPAP machine and they gave me the DreamStation.   It took a little getting used to the Bipap but now that I have used it for a few weeks, I would never go back to a CPAP.   I find it much easier and more comfortable to use and I sleep much better.  
Thats the good part.  
Ever since I got this machine I have had one issue with it.    In the middle of the night it will develop a whistle when it goes onto "HIGH" pressure, (inhaling).   After taking it back a couple of times and not finding the problem, (we switched out the humidifier tank, checked the seals, filters, etc),   I finally took a piece of electrical tape and wrapped it around the hose connection where it connects to the tank.    The problem disappeared.  I will be taking it back again to see if we can get this taken care of.     AND I will post my findings after we get this problem taken care of.    This machine is less than 2 months old. 
Thanks for reading and I hope this helps others.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DREAMSTATION WHISTLE
Welcome to the forum. That is useful information. I suspect if you can repair the whistle with tape on the outlet, this should be something repairable. There is a replaceable seal on the inside of the humidifier, and the way that contacts the outlet tube may need adjustment or replacement. When you replaced the humidifier tank, did you also replace the flip-lid seal?

[Image: 1seallid.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This unit was only about 3 weeks old when I took it back the first time.   Of course, in their office we could not duplicate the problem, (figures).  At that time they replaced the entire humidifer unit.  They told me that if it continued that they would also replace the hose.     The problem was still their so I taped it.     I am calling them today to give them the update and to schedule a time to pick up a new hose.
This is a very nice machine and my sleep has greatly improved because of it.    BUT,  I am not convinced that a new hose will fix the problem either.   The connection is not very tight.   When it was leaking and whistling, I could very gently move the hose connection and change the pitch of the whistle and even make it stop.
Hopefully they will have an answer for this.    A new machine should not have to have a piece of tape on it to  work properly.

Thanks for having this forum.

Sincerely Gene
Post Reply Post Reply
It could be that the non-heated hose would provide a tighter fit.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi aa1xd,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I hope you are able to get your machine problems resolved.
Good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Certainly worth a try.    Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there,

My husband has a similar problem with his new Dreamstation whistling.  Were you able to have your problem resolved and is so what did the trick?

Thanks!

I'm not the "sleeper" but I am his messenger
Wave
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you had a read through this thread?

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...rent-brand

If your machine is new then persevere with getting it replaced, you should be provided with one that works properly.

I have a Dreamstation, bought it after being on one as part of my trial period.. absolutely love mine, it works great.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2017, 05:13 AM)Ockrocket Wrote: Have you had a read through this thread?

If your machine is new then persevere with getting it replaced, you should be provided with one that works properly.

I have a Dreamstation, bought it after being on one as part of my trial period.. absolutely love mine, it works great.

Yes, I have looked at the thread you referenced to, but I was curious about how a specific poster "aa1xd" had made out with their problem.  In retrospect I guess I should have placed their comment in a quote and then asked them specifically the question. (still new to this forum) to clarify my inquiry.

I'm glad that you have had only success with your new Dreamstation. Its something that we all want, in the end.

I'm not the "sleeper" but I am his messenger
Wave
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2017, 05:13 AM)Ockrocket Wrote: Have you had a read through this thread?

I was the original poster in that thread and the whistling issue on my units was very annoying as well. However, after getting a FOURTH unit - the 4th that was another brand new from the factory - I have not had any issues with whistling, at least not yet. Hopefully I won't. 

On my last machine it was found to be most repetitive when the extra fine filter was in place. When I removed it, the noise was much less prevalent but still there to some degree. For me, taking the humidifier completely off every machine I had each time made no difference - the source of the whistle was always the machine itself. 

Good luck and keep on your DME until it gets resolved!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask - Whistle on exhalation slane52186 4 558 10-01-2023, 01:33 PM
Last Post: slane52186
  F&P Vitera Full Face Mask Whistle berkshire17 20 4,696 11-23-2022, 04:18 PM
Last Post: berkshire17
  Dreamstation 1 to Dreamstation 2 - hardly any water use Lazagna 4 1,713 10-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  [CPAP] Dreamstation 2 vs. Dreamstation 1 Pressure FOMO 2 1,534 09-18-2022, 07:59 PM
Last Post: FOMO
  DreamWear nasal Cushion air vent makes a high pitch whistle noise watertrails 9 2,539 04-24-2022, 02:14 PM
Last Post: watertrails
  [CPAP] Philips Dreamstation & Dreamstation Go Different AHI? Thedudefino 2 1,304 05-31-2021, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Thedudefino
  [CPAP] Is it normal to hear a subtle whistle when the machine is working? juanjo 24 7,741 05-27-2020, 06:44 PM
Last Post: UncollapseMeThroat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.