Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DRY MOUTH, UNABLE TO USE BIPAP
DRY MOUTH, UNABLE TO USE BIPAP
Was diagnosed with mild OSA (AHI: 12). Got a BIPAP machine and cannot adapt to it. I am using a full face mask. Have no problems getting asleep and sleeping but awake because extreme mouth dryness which is because of a deviated septum/inability to breathe clearly through nasal passages. I notice that sometimes the humidifier tank is half empty and other times, fully empty.

I have tried all sorts of nasal sprays, etc. to no avail. I plan on getting surgery to correct the deviated septum this year. My ENT doc and I feel that once I can breathe clearer through my nose, I may not even need a CPAP/BIPAP and will do a follow-up sleep study. I do notice I sleep soundly (because I dream) when my nasal passages are clear.

In the meantime, what can I do? Dental appliance?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DRY MOUTH, UNABLE TO USE BIPAP
Hi MCS2014,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm sorry you are having a rough start with your therapy right now but Don't give up. CPAP therapy can take some time to get used to.
Hang in there for answers to your questions. God luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2014, 09:57 PM)MCS2014 Wrote: Was diagnosed with mild OSA (AHI: 12). Got a BIPAP machine and cannot adapt to it. I am using a full face mask. Have no problems getting asleep and sleeping but awake because extreme mouth dryness which is because of a deviated septum/inability to breathe clearly through nasal passages. I notice that sometimes the humidifier tank is half empty and other times, fully empty.

I have tried all sorts of nasal sprays, etc. to no avail. I plan on getting surgery to correct the deviated septum this year. My ENT doc and I feel that once I can breathe clearer through my nose, I may not even need a CPAP/BIPAP and will do a follow-up sleep study. I do notice I sleep soundly (because I dream) when my nasal passages are clear.

Have the nasal sprays you have used been over the counter or prescription ones? I have good results with patanase. You might try adjusting your settings on your humidifier (do you have a heated hose?). You could try a nasal mask that doesn't cover up your mouth (FFM's can cause dry mouth especially if you are a mouth breather). Also, Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash are specifically designed for dry mouth. They are expensive but they do work. Also, you can elevate your head and that might help you a little bit, maybe not with the dry mouth but with your breathing. I have a pillow that I put on the bottom from east to west and another pillow on top of that one from north to south. I am throwing out suggestions for you to try. I don't know if they will work or not but it is worth a try.

Surgery may help you breathe better but I don't know if it will solve the OSA as that is due to a collapse or partial collapse of the airway but anything is possible. Hope some of these suggestions help. I am sure others will have some ideas for you.

Is BIPAP your only machine you have been on? Just wondering why they put you on BIPAP. Do you have a way to find out what your pressure settings are? You could check to see if SleepyHead is compatible with your machine so you can look at your data and see what is going on while you are sleeping. You can find the information in the private files on this forum. It could give some ideas as to why you are having a hard time.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2014, 10:25 PM)me50 Wrote:
(03-02-2014, 09:57 PM)MCS2014 Wrote: Was diagnosed with mild OSA (AHI: 12). Got a BIPAP machine and cannot adapt to it. I am using a full face mask. Have no problems getting asleep and sleeping but awake because extreme mouth dryness which is because of a deviated septum/inability to breathe clearly through nasal passages. I notice that sometimes the humidifier tank is half empty and other times, fully empty.

Have the nasal sprays you have used been over the counter or prescription ones? I have good results with patanase. You might try adjusting your settings on your humidifier (do you have a heated hose?). You could try a nasal mask that doesn't cover up your mouth (FFM's can cause dry mouth especially if you are a mouth breather). Also, Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash are specifically designed for dry mouth. They are expensive but they do work. Also, you can elevate your head and that might help you a little bit, maybe not with the dry mouth but with your breathing. I have a pillow that I put on the bottom from east to west and another pillow on top of that one from north to south. I am throwing out suggestions for you to try. I don't know if they will work or not but it is worth a try.

Patanase did little to help, caused the runs and raised my BP. Going to try Oramoist strips. Biotene no go. The only nasal meds that worked are the OTC ones that cause me rebound congestion within 24 hrs. Have not tried just a nasal mask, but since I can't breath through my nose too well, wouldn't that defeat the purpose? It's getting to the point, I'm just better off getting the nasal surgery done and calling it a day.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also have a deviated septum. I use nasal pillows and a chinstrap and it's enough for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 12 855 9 hours ago
Last Post: SeePak
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 113 04-17-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Hurdsy
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 114 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 638 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 200 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 364 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 999 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.