Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DRY MOUTH WAKING ME
DRY MOUTH WAKING ME
Bouts of dry mouth are occurring more frequently and interrupting my sleep cycle. I am unable to determine if the dry mouth is due to breathing through the mouth or if it's the air pressure coming up from my rear sinuses into my mouth. My ResMed shows zero mask leaks. I am using a chinstrap. Mouth taping does not work for me at all.

Thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DRY MOUTH WAKING ME
Two things... you mouth/jaw is dropping open at night and air is rushing out.

Dry mouth can also occur from not enough humidity.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-08-2022, 01:02 AM)MCS2014 Wrote: I am unable to determine if the dry mouth is due to breathing through the mouth or if it's the air pressure coming up from my rear sinuses into my mouth.

If you have obstructive sleep apnea and are wearing a nasal mask, you can't be breathing through your mouth. Air behind your mouth must stay there to maintain the pressure splint need for you to be able to breathe through your nose.

I'd need to see some leak rate graphs. Likely, switching to a full face mask will fix your problem.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-08-2022, 04:02 PM)Sleepster Wrote: If you have obstructive sleep apnea and are wearing a nasal mask, you can't be breathing through your mouth. Air behind your mouth must stay there to maintain the pressure splint need for you to be able to breathe through your nose.

I'd need to see some leak rate graphs. Likely, switching to a full face mask will fix your problem.
I cannot tolerate a full face mask which is why I am using a nasal mask.

[Image: JMFcAXF.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
Dry mouth could be related to different conditions, including simple ageing.  There is also Sjogren's syndrome which is a medical condition.  I am 77, use a CPAP and I put one or two xylitol unflavoured "mints" between my lower teeth and my cheek when I go to bed and the moisturising effect lasts most or all of the night.  Reapply if I wake up and if needed.  Not expensive and no side effects or complications.  Lasts longer than sprays or gels for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just tape you mouth shut with a hole small enough to still breathe thru your mouth thru if you need too. That fixed my dry mouth and waking up from choking too.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-08-2022, 11:38 PM)jeffames226 Wrote: Just tape you mouth shut with a hole small enough to still breathe thru your mouth thru if you need too.  That fixed my dry mouth and waking up from choking too.

Tried that several times, doesn't work for me at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
Where do you get gels, sprays and/or mouth tape?
Post Reply Post Reply
Almost anywhere...Amazon, Walmart, etc. Any Pharmacy.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2024, 09:58 AM)jdmedic Wrote: Where do you get gels, sprays and/or mouth tape?

Any drug store. I recommend Lansinoh salve. Find it in the baby aisle. It's marketed as a salve for nursing mothers, but it works well for nasal pillows masks (the kind that fit inside your nostrils). I don't recommend taping, so I don't have a recommendation for that.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 5 106 2 hours ago
Last Post: Valtor
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 33 10 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 374 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 289 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.