Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DST and CPAP? Does the clock change?
DST and CPAP? Does the clock change?
Tomorrow will be my first time having a CPAP machine when the time change happens. Are most of the current machines set to adjust to daylight savings time or do I need to change the internal clock? I don't see a setting that mere mortals can use to change the time so I would have to look in the clinician manual. (Fortunately it's available to members of ApneaBoard! Cool )

I realize an hour off isn't a critical thing but I like to have my data as accurate as possible when I view it in the SleepyHead program.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DST and CPAP? Does the clock change?
we'll see what happens tonite. the way i understand it the internal clock on cpap's are set to GMT, never change, and sleepy head and the others use your computer's clock to display results based on plus or minus from gmt. so in short if your computer clock changes the display times will change accordingly. now don't ask me about what happens with the spring forward fall back hours.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
My S9 clock doesn't adjust to daylight savings time.
I haven't adjust the time since got it over a year ago, really it makes no difference to me.
As CPAP day start mid-day (12) Does it matter if doing the change before or after 12.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2012, 02:10 PM)zonk Wrote: My S9 clock doesn't adjust to daylight savings time.
I haven't adjust the time since got it over a year ago, really it makes no difference to me.
As CPAP day start mid-day (12) Does it matter if doing the change before or after 12.

respironics doesn't have a clock that can be seen or a way to change it.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
So what happen did the time automatically adjusted to daylight savings ?
Post Reply Post Reply
The ResMed S9 AutoSet does NOT automatically change the time to DST.
Using the ResMed Mirage SoftGel Nasal Mask with a chinstrap

I do not use either the Ramp nor the EPR Comfort features

Have been on CPAP since December 1998

This is my 3rd machine

I use the ResMed ResScan Software (Version 3.16)
Post Reply Post Reply
I couldn't find any clock set on my machine, even with the clinician's manual. However, Sleepy Head software seems to have adjusted for DST. I'm not 100% sure but my wake up time on Sunday in the SleepyHead data is accurate for DST. The nap I took earlier on Saturday showed up as starting an hour later.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a ResMed S9 Autoset and use both ResScan and Sleepyhead software. My usage hours were off by an hour as far as start and stop times last night with both software and the clock did not change on my machine. Sleepyhead said I went to sleep last night at 9:41 PM and woke up this morning at 4:02 AM. ResScan said that I went to sleep last night at 9:41 PM and woke up this morning at 4:03 AM. In truth, I went to sleep at 10:41 PM and woke up at 5:03 AM. Interestingly, the summary graphs with both software show the same range of usage and same total usage hours. But on the detailed daily graphs, ResScan has a gap with no data showing up between 2:00 and 3:00 AM. Sleepyhead shows continuous data throughout the evening.

What I've read before in another forum is that with ResMed machines, you have to manually change your machine's clock if you want your graphs to show the correct start and stop times. If that's not important to you, then you can just leave it alone. Your graphs won't reflect the correct DST start and stop times but the data will still be good as far as total usage hours and the various data averages. One important thing that I read though is that if you change the clock time on your machine, there are 2 time "windows" when you should perform the time change otherwise you can mess up some of the machine's data calculations. The first window is one hour after you turn off the machine blower in the morning and 12:00 noon. The second window is after 1:00 PM and before you turn on the machine's blower that afternoon or evening. If you accidentally turn the machine's blower on, you should wait at least one hour before changing the time because the S9 continues to record data for up to an hour after you turn the machine off. I changed my time when I got home from work tonight before turning on the blower on the machine. Hopefully, my start and stop times this evening will record correctly. I followed the same procedure in the fall when "falling back" and everything worked out fine. Oh-jeez

One thing to note is that I believe that these procedures were for the ResMed S9 machines. I'm not sure if the same or similar steps are required for other ResMed or other brands of machines.Huh
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
My graph start and stop tines are now reading correctly on DST since I reset my machine's clock last night. I believe this is an issue unique to the S9. Also, from what I have been told, the spring forward time adjustment isn't as critical as the fall back adjustment since you're not resetting the clock into an earlier time period that might already contain some data.
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2012, 09:29 PM)b360155 Wrote: I have a ResMed S9 Autoset and use both ResScan and Sleepyhead software. My usage hours were off by an hour as far as start and stop times last night with both software and the clock did not change on my machine. Sleepyhead said I went to sleep last night at 9:41 PM and woke up this morning at 4:02 AM. ResScan said that I went to sleep last night at 9:41 PM and woke up this morning at 4:03 AM. In truth, I went to sleep at 10:41 PM and woke up at 5:03 AM. Interestingly, the summary graphs with both software show the same range of usage and same total usage hours. But on the detailed daily graphs, ResScan has a gap with no data showing up between 2:00 and 3:00 AM. Sleepyhead shows continuous data throughout the evening.

What I've read before in another forum is that with ResMed machines, you have to manually change your machine's clock if you want your graphs to show the correct start and stop times. If that's not important to you, then you can just leave it alone. Your graphs won't reflect the correct DST start and stop times but the data will still be good as far as total usage hours and the various data averages. One important thing that I read though is that if you change the clock time on your machine, there are 2 time "windows" when you should perform the time change otherwise you can mess up some of the machine's data calculations. The first window is one hour after you turn off the machine blower in the morning and 12:00 noon. The second window is after 1:00 PM and before you turn on the machine's blower that afternoon or evening.

I have an S9 Autoset, and use the same software programs. For the 11th (Sat night), ResScan shows I slept a total of 5h14m, from shortly before 1 am to shortly after 6 am. It also shows a gap, with no information on the daily graphs, for the period from (roughly) 2am to 3am. SleepyHead shows on the graphs the same sleep time from around 1am to around 6am, but reflects a total time of 10h28m - exactly twice the actual period. It also does not have any gaps in the data. Late Sat evening I set my S9 clock forward 1 hour, before beginning any therapy (or starting the blower).

My take is that neither program is entirely reliable at least twice a year during DST changes. However, SleepyHead does at least provide the data, while ResScan skips it. Depending on events, that could be important.

Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,416 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,701 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 101 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop
  Syncing Airsense 10 clock IAXEM 0 106 03-06-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 316 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 323 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.