Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie OSCAR Interpretation
Newbie OSCAR Interpretation

Hi, All

I'm new to the apnea, CPAP, OSCAR world and struggling to come up to speed. My OSCAR charts show lots of CA's, many of which have the signature on the attached screenshot. It looks to my simple mind like a period of normal breathing, then a deep sigh, followed by a pause before resuming normal breathing. Is that really abnormal? I recently heard a neurologist describe how a periodic deep sigh is a normal pattern of even awake breathing. I greatly appreciate this very caring and helpful community.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie OSCAR Interpretation
Welcome to the forum.
First let's fix it so you are actually using EPR all the time which will help with hypopneas, flow limits, RERAS.

Set Min pressure=7
The example you cited I believe is an arousal, a sigh if you wish, followed by you holding your breath while "tossing" and as such not a true central apnea. The breathing following gives hints of central flow limits, not enough to worry about and not enough to call it either an apnea nor a hypopneas.

Because you have a few central Apneas
Set EPR=2, fulltime.
This may help with the centrals and will better support the obstructive events as noted above.

Then repost and re-evaluate.

Always post a full night's view, not zoomed so we have the context of the full night, almost zoomed images of any area you want comment on, if we see the need for additional charts we will ask. For example please post a redacted copy of your initial diagnostic study. It will provide detail on centrals without CPAP and can impact therapy choices. A full copy including charts and tables in addition to the summary.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the suggestion. I set the min pressure to 7 and EPR to 3. Lots of leaks to deal with. I cranked the mask pretty tight and still couldn't control them. Will keep trying. Here is the full night OSCAR. I note that the CA's during minimal leak periods seem to have the same pattern as before.

Post Reply Post Reply
The zoomed-in view does indeed show a sigh, followed by a pause before you draw your next breath. The breath with a greater flow-rate amplitude washes out some CO2. CO2 is what tells your body when to breath. Once it builds back up, you resume breathing.

You seem to have had generally positive results from using the settings Gideon recommended. It's especially good to see that you didn't have more CAs with EPR in play during the whole night. I see that you still have a ramp pressure of 4. I recommend that you turn the ramp off, or at least set the ramp pressure to 7.

What mask do you use? Your profile says you're using a nasal pillow mask, but your machine is set for a full-face mask. If you could provide the maker and the model name that would help.

When you post your next chart, could you include these graphs:

Events
Flow rate
Pressure (not mask pressure)
Leaks
Flow limitations
Snores.

You can fit them all in by grabbing the gray bars that separate the graphs and pushing them up a bit.
Post Reply Post Reply
The tight mask makes leaks worse
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree with Stacey - tight mask makes leaks worse. It seems counter-intuitive, one would think it would be natural to tighten the straps to minimize/eliminate leaks. But is is the exact opposite. Cranking down the straps distorts the shape of the seal, resulting in leaks. Suggest trying the straps as loose as possible without creating leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data interpretation - Luna G3 Big Ultima Energy 3 103 04-14-2024, 06:27 PM
Last Post: johnathanb76
  Oscar Data Interpretation UPDATED Johand77 1 130 04-10-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR data interpretation Johand77 8 222 04-10-2024, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Johand77
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 125 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 205 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 187 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 510 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.