Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Daily seal cleaning
Daily seal cleaning
What do you use to clean your mask's seal every morning when you take it off? I have oily skin and I have ben told it's important to do, even though I wash my face every night.

I have been using so-called "sensitive" baby wipes at my RT's suggestion, but I've just read the very fine print and I see they contain lanolin. This may be why I'm having so much trouble getting a good seal at night.

I suppose ideally I should remove the seal every day and hand wash it but wow, that seems like a lot of trouble with my Mirage Quattro. Having said that, if you do remove your seal and hand wash it daily, what kind of soap do you use?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Daily seal cleaning
Any cheap dishwashing liquid I can find that doesn't have lotions and stuff in it to protect hands. Right now I'm using Dawn Ultra Original - have used others in the past. I use mask wipes sometimes - the cheap ones from supplier number 4. They work pretty good and are handy for when you don't want to take the cushion out of the mask. I'm not sure how well the cushion will hold up using these every day because they have witch hazel in them. Other, more expensive, mask wipes don't contain witch hazel. If you look for them in the make-up isle, you can find alcohol free make-up removing wipes that work well - but they are usually the same price as the expensive mask wipes.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you follow the letter of the user manual, then daily handwashing is the only way to clean it. You're taking some risk of compromising your therapy with any other / alternative cleaning method, but that's not to say that some (like wipes) aren't effective. Personally, I wash my nasal pillows with soap & water daily and I wash my face at night.

I use the mask wipes (from Supplier #1) to get the oils off of the headgear silicone parts which I only wash once a week. Those parts don't affect the seal.

http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/document...er_eng.pdf

Quote:Cleaning the Mask in the Home

Notes:
• The mask and headgear can only be cleaned by handwashing.
• The headgear may be washed without removing the headgear clips.

WARNING
• Do not use aromatic-based solutions or scented oils (eg, eucalyptus or essential oils), bleach, alcohol or products that smell strongly (eg, citrus) to clean any of the mask co mponents. Residual vapours from these solutions can be inhaled if not rinsed thoroughly. They may also damage the mask, causing cracks.
• Do not iron the headgear as the material is heat sensitive and will be damaged.

Daily/After Each Use
To optimize the mask seal, facial oils should be removed from the cushion before use.
Handwash the mask by gently rubbing in warm (86°F / 30°C) water using mild soap or diluted dishwashing detergent.
Do not twist the valve during cleaning as this may damage or tear the valve membrane or hinge. Take care when handling the valve.
If the vent requires cleaning use a soft bristle brush.
Rinse all components well with drinking quality water and allow them to air dry out of dire ct sunlight. Do not soak the mask
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2013, 02:05 PM)old dude Wrote: What do you use to clean your mask's seal every morning when you take it off?
I wash the cushion in the shower every morning, washing (removing facial oil) after use optimize mask seal

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2013, 04:18 PM)zonk Wrote:
(08-07-2013, 02:05 PM)old dude Wrote: What do you use to clean your mask's seal every morning when you take it off?
I wash the cushion in the shower every morning, washing (removing facial oil) after use optimize mask seal

So, regardless of how you wash it, it's pretty much necessary to disassemble the cushion from the mask and wash it every day, correct?
Post Reply Post Reply
old dude, I also use the Mirage Quattro, as with everything CPAP, people have different opinions, I use my own mask liners that I make and wash all my equipment twice a week. The liners absorb the sweat and grease from my face and help with leaks, if I need to I wash the liners. With the washing of the Mirage Quattro, yes you do have to pull it apart to get into the tight spots. Again, all I do is chuck everything, hose, humidifer, mask etc in the bathroom basin, after I have shaved, fill it with warm water and I buy a liquid soap for CPAP cleaning (it's basically liquid soap) and leave it soak while I have my shower then rinse and let everything dry on a towel during the day. When I get home from work, I dry everything and put it all back together. I have had all my equipment for over 2 years now as in Australia we pretty much have to pay for everything ourselves so have to make things last. I am probably due for a new cushion now but are waiting for the Quattro Air to come on the market here. I say everyone has their own opinion because they do and probably everyone is right, it's just a personal preference.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the F & P Forma full face mask. The grey foam cushion is the weak link in the system. The manual says not to soak it, as it is like a sponge. But it is the only part that wears out. As it cracks, then splits. If this part didn't wear out, the mask would last for a long time. The big bummer is you cannot just buy this part. You have to buy the set. Good for F & P, bad for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Every day I wipe my mask with a non-scented, alcohol free baby wipe.
Once a week I wash everything in warm water with a little baby shampoo.
Has worked great for me.

Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I am sold on dawns ability to remove oils I use it everywhere. Shower cleaning ,barbq cleaning, engine cleaning but most of all it makes my cpap squeaky clean .
I wash my oily face before I turn in(not in dawn) but by morning its very oily . I was washing the mask everyday until I found washable mask liners or you can make your own out of t-shirts. I buy mine from pad a cheek as I don't sew and she does a great job. The liner keeps my mask dry , keeps the oil off the mask -lasts for 4 days or so until I hand wash it . It is so soft and gets that silicone rubber feel off my face. It seems to slow the leaks way down .
The dermatologist says I'm lucky to have oily skin rather than dry as it protects the skin but sometimes I wonder.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-08-2013, 08:13 PM)knightlite Wrote: I am sold on dawns ability to remove oils I use it everywhere. Shower cleaning ,barbq cleaning, engine cleaning but most of all it makes my cpap squeaky clean .
I wash my oily face before I turn in(not in dawn) but by morning its very oily . I was washing the mask everyday until I found washable mask liners or you can make your own out of t-shirts. I buy mine from pad a cheek as I don't sew and she does a great job. The liner keeps my mask dry , keeps the oil off the mask -lasts for 4 days or so until I hand wash it . It is so soft and gets that silicone rubber feel off my face. It seems to slow the leaks way down .
The dermatologist says I'm lucky to have oily skin rather than dry as it protects the skin but sometimes I wonder.

Could I ask what type of Dawn you use? I know not to use anything marked "concentrated" but all I can find is marked "Ultra". Is that OK? Can't seem to find just plain old Dawn anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 222 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,796 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  New User - Mask Seal Error WJ5596 6 334 02-12-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: WJ5596
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 343 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 607 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.