Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Daily using S9 oximeter
Daily using S9 oximeter
I started using the S9 oximeter and have questions not answered in manual and wondering about advice given by Resmed Technical Support. The manual states to disconnect power from machine before attaching or removing the adapter and components. Resmed states I don't need to. With my disabilities it is difficult to disconnect power. When I leave everything connected the red light in the finger probe stays on - is that fine? Can I remove the finger probe from the X-pod without disconnecting power?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Daily using S9 oximeter
I do not have the equipment you are using. The idea of taking stuff off of you, but leaving the power on is fine. But the idea of taking and unplugging pieces from each other with the power on _can_be_OK - *IF* nothing goes wrong. Meaning, the reason it is suggested to remove power before connecting or disconnecting is in case you do something wrong, or inadvertently touch a ground connection to a power connection by mistake. If you make no mistakes, there is no harm.

Does this make sense?

Can you explain what you are wanting to do a bit more please?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2013, 06:19 PM)Aletta Wrote: I started using the S9 oximeter and have questions not answered in manual and wondering about advice given by Resmed Technical Support. The manual states to disconnect power from machine before attaching or removing the adapter and components. Resmed states I don't need to. With my disabilities it is difficult to disconnect power. When I leave everything connected the red light in the finger probe stays on - is that fine? Can I remove the finger probe from the X-pod without disconnecting power?

Hi Aletta,

Not sure, but I would think keeping the finger probe powered up all the time may shorten its life.

Perhaps you can add a "power strip" with an on/off switch which would be easy to turn on/off.

But before I turn off the power strip I would always be sure to first turn off the machine the normal way, by holding down its power button for about 5 seconds.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2013, 12:32 PM)Peter_C Wrote: I do not have the equipment you are using. The idea of taking stuff off of you, but leaving the power on is fine. But the idea of taking and unplugging pieces from each other with the power on _can_be_OK - *IF* nothing goes wrong. Meaning, the reason it is suggested to remove power before connecting or disconnecting is in case you do something wrong, or inadvertently touch a ground connection to a power connection by mistake. If you make no mistakes, there is no harm.

Does this make sense?

Can you explain what you are wanting to do a bit more please?

Thank you for taking the time to reply Peter. My concern is leaving the finger probe connected 24 hrs. per day. As Vaughn states - it might shorten it's life
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2013, 10:44 PM)vsheline Wrote:
(11-04-2013, 06:19 PM)Aletta Wrote: I started using the S9 oximeter and have questions not answered in manual and wondering about advice given by Resmed Technical Support. The manual states to disconnect power from machine before attaching or removing the adapter and components. Resmed states I don't need to. With my disabilities it is difficult to disconnect power. When I leave everything connected the red light in the finger probe stays on - is that fine? Can I remove the finger probe from the X-pod without disconnecting power?

Hi Aletta,

Not sure, but I would think keeping the finger probe powered up all the time may shorten its life.

Perhaps you can add a "power strip" with an on/off switch which would be easy to turn on/off.

But before I turn off the power strip I would always be sure to first turn off the machine the normal way, by holding down its power button for about 5 seconds.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Thank you too for spending the time Vaughn. I was told not to connect the machine to power using a power strip but that would make things easier! If I turn off the machine holding down the start button, I wonder if I should still disconnect the power or could I disconnect the x-pod from the Resmed adapter? I asked NONIN but they told me to follow Resmed's instructions - even though my question concerns the NONIN finger sensor
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-08-2013, 05:11 PM)Aletta Wrote:
(11-07-2013, 10:44 PM)vsheline Wrote:

Hi Aletta,

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Thank you too for spending the time Vaughn. I was told not to connect the machine to power using a power strip but that would make things easier! If I turn off the machine holding down the start button, I wonder if I should still disconnect the power or could I disconnect the x-pod from the Resmed adapter? I asked NONIN but they told me to follow Resmed's instructions - even though my question concerns the NONIN finger sensor

Sorry - I wanted to add that I will turn the power off - disconnect the x-pod - turn the power on again to allow the machine to cool off then at night turn power off - connecdt x-pod - turn power on. Isn't that too much on and off?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Aletta,
It is always safe to disconnect the x-pod from the machine when the power is removed from the machine. That way there is now static discharge to damage low voltage components. If you are not comfortable with using a power strip, have you tried removing the 12 volt power supply plug from the back of the machine instead of unplugging the power supply from the wall outlet? If this is easier for you to do, it will perform the same function.
Post Reply Post Reply
It (in my mind) comes down to a couple of points. Is the on/off switch electrical, or mechanical? When you cycle the power off, then back on - I assume the fan motor is switching off and on, off and on?

Here's my thinking? Mechanical stuff has more wear based on use - I.E. possible wearing out the switch??? (not so with an electronic switch).

The light on the probe - most likely will wear out much sooner by switching on and off, than by leaving constantly on forever. Various lights burn out due to cycling, rather than number of hours in the 'on' position.

This is based on opinion more than on fact - but, I would make my own choices based on the above to be honest.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-08-2013, 05:17 PM)ChileBurnze Wrote: Hi Aletta,
It is always safe to disconnect the x-pod from the machine when the power is removed from the machine. That way there is now static discharge to damage low voltage components. If you are not comfortable with using a power strip, have you tried removing the 12 volt power supply plug from the back of the machine instead of unplugging the power supply from the wall outlet? If this is easier for you to do, it will perform the same function.

Thank you ChileBurnze - I have trouble re-connecting the button at the back of the machine (disconnection also difficult with arthritic fingers) but my concern with that is that it always makes a crunching (?) sound - as if shortening it - maybe because I can't line up the pins and holes? When disnonnecting from the "brick" my humidifier flashes. Again the question is so much on and off -
(11-08-2013, 05:22 PM)Peter_C Wrote: It (in my mind) comes down to a couple of points. Is the on/off switch electrical, or mechanical? When you cycle the power off, then back on - I assume the fan motor is switching off and on, off and on?

Here's my thinking? Mechanical stuff has more wear based on use - I.E. possible wearing out the switch??? (not so with an electronic switch).

The light on the probe - most likely will wear out much sooner by switching on and off, than by leaving constantly on forever. Various lights burn out due to cycling, rather than number of hours in the 'on' position.

This is based on opinion more than on fact - but, I would make my own choices based on the above to be honest.

Thank you Peter
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-08-2013, 05:16 PM)Aletta Wrote: I wanted to add that I will turn the power off - disconnect the x-pod - turn the power on again to allow the machine to cool off then at night turn power off - connecdt x-pod - turn power on. Isn't that too much on and off?

Keep in mind that when you turn the power back on to allow the machine to cool off (actually, I think it is the water in the tub which needs to cool off, so the vapors will not cause as much condensation in the machine and hose), the machine will not go into its cooling cycle unless you first turn On the machine again, start the warm-up cycle, and then either:

1) let the warm-up cycle to run its course (20 minutes warming followed by 20 minutes cooling)

2) or turn On therapy for a few seconds and then turn Off therapy and the cool-down period will begin.

I don't think there is any harm in so much turning on and off, but I do think it would be too much trouble for me to do it that way. And I would not recommend anyone disconnect the power daily by unplugging from the machine the power cord coming from the power brick. I used to do that, and the connector in the machine started becoming loose and hard to connect correctly.

Instead, what I do is immediately take out the water tub as soon as I stop therapy. I turn Off the machine (with long push on power button), wait 10 to 15 seconds, and then turn Off the heavy duty power strip. I put a small towel over the tub to keep dust off of the tub during the day.

Without the water tub in it, the machine stays dry without without needing the cool-down cycle. In my opinion, it may be better for machine and hose to remove the tub, because there is no water tub to maintain high humidity in the machine and hose, so less reason for mold to grow in the hose.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,207 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 88 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 149 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 200 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 669 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Is there a pulse oximeter that bluetooths to the Air11? cathyf 2 807 12-19-2023, 01:19 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Anyone Ever Had Insurance Cover Nightly Oximeter cmpman1974 35 2,854 12-12-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.