Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Daily using S9 oximeter
RE: Daily using S9 oximeter
(11-08-2013, 05:22 PM)Peter_C Wrote: The light on the probe - most likely will wear out much sooner by switching on and off, than by leaving constantly on forever. Various lights burn out due to cycling, rather than number of hours in the 'on' position.

That is the case with incandescent bulbs, but not with led's. Incandescent bulbs have a very low resistance when cold, but warm up rapidly when power is applied, that heating increases the resistance of the filament and reduces the current. So on 'switch on' you get a large in-rush of current and a big thermal shock, that is why they often fail when you switch them on. Led life is much greater and not affected by power cycles.

Any probe that is connected to a patient is always well isolated from internal circuitry to protect the patient in the case of component failure. I would just unplug it from the Resmed when not in use, your biggest worry is wesring out the plug/socket.
Post Reply Post Reply
See? This is what is great about the give-and-take on a well-run forum. The expression of thoughts and opinions, without fear of being flamed - then others can make choices based on all the input, plus the possibility of learning stuff.

One point about the procedure that "Vsheline" follows? The other reason for the blower to run on low for a while after shut-down, is to help dry any moisture left in your hose. By removing the water chamber and removing power, you lose the air blowing through your hose for 20 minutes or so, thereby lowering the chance of your hose drying completely in the morning.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2013, 12:33 PM)Peter_C Wrote: One point about the procedure that "Vsheline" follows? The other reason for the blower to run on low for a while after shut-down, is to help dry any moisture left in your hose. By removing the water chamber and removing power, you lose the air blowing through your hose for 20 minutes or so, thereby lowering the chance of your hose drying completely in the morning.

Very good point.

I use heated hose and don't have rainout issues, but those using non-heated hose or manual humidity settings benefit from the cool down period a little.

However, keep in mind that if there is any rainout (condensation in hose) the hose should be removed from machine and hung up to allow it to completely dry out during the day before next use.

Actually, I think all manufacturers recommend removing hose and hanging it up after each use.

Hoses should be periodically (weekly or monthly) inspected and washed well with a tube brush made for CPAP hoses, and/or soaked in a tub with a little disinfectant.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have my hose hanging whenever it is not in use (but still attached for the blower) - And while I do not do it often, I personally favor a vinegar and water mix to clean my hose.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,223 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 92 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 151 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 204 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 675 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Is there a pulse oximeter that bluetooths to the Air11? cathyf 2 809 12-19-2023, 01:19 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Anyone Ever Had Insurance Cover Nightly Oximeter cmpman1974 35 2,872 12-12-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.