Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Damaged ResMed S8 Autoset II
Damaged ResMed S8 Autoset II
I have been using a ResMed S8 Autoset II since early 2010.

I do not sleep well with it because I toss and turn a lot in my sleep and have trouble with leaking and the leaking mask waking me up.

I have gotten tangled in hose many times and pulled the CPAP machine off the night stand many times. A few days ago it happened again. Woke up when it happened, put the CPAP back on the night stand but noticed a smell like a motor getting hot so I took the mask off and turned the machine off and went back to sleep without it. The next morning I tried again and same thing so after a few days of sleeping without it and seeing my blood pressure increase by about 20% I ordered a new ResMed S9 from my online supplier.

I haven't used it yet. Does anyone know if I need to take the new CPAP machine to my DR to set up before using? (I quit going to my Dr and haven't been to see him in years) My prescription was still good and my understanding is my supplier sent the new CPAP set up per my original perscription which they still had on file.

Can anyone advise me on this?

Also, does anyone know if my old S8 AutoSet II can be repaired and if so where I can send it for repair. (It still runs - just makes a rattling noise inside and has the odor making me afraid to use it)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Damaged ResMed S8 Autoset II
Welcome to the board.

Someone should be around soon to help you, I'd want to see my doctor if it had been that long but that's me.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
After 4 years it would not be surprising if your pressure needs have changed. A new titration is desirable but not essential before starting to use the new machine. The DME should set it to the pressure on the prescription. It is possible to use the data from the Autoset to titrate your own pressure. The info is on the board.

You won't be able to get the burnt smell out of the old machine. Throw it out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum, guessagain
[Image: s9-autoset-models.jpg]
The model name printed next to power button

You can followup with the doc to review the data after been using the machine for a while

Here is the link to the S9 setup instructions http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

The clinical manual available via email, scroll down to section three (section one for setup instructions)
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Post Reply Post Reply

Thanks everyone for replying. I did get a clinical manual emailed to me so I could find out how to get in to check the settings - minimum is 5 and max is 15 which was my original settings on the prescription. Guess I will try that out tonight to start out with.
I have horrible time going to sleep and staying asleep since started with this thing 4 years ago. between leaking and getting tangled in the hose and waking up all through the night I am getting less rest than before. And I now have to use sleep aid every night to get to sleep. I would throw the cpap away except I worry about my oxygen level during the night which is the reason my dr put me on to start with - my oxygen level feel during my sleep study so he recommended cpap.

But now that I have found this resource I intend to educate myself and hopefully have the same success I have been reading from other comments this evening as I browse around on the site.
I have already reset the program to where I can review how I have slept the next morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi guessagain,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I have a hoselift that keeps me from knocking my machine off my nightstand. You can get them at CPAP suppliers or you can improvise and make one.
I think you will find that you are better served with the newer machine as technology has changed quite a bit since your older one.
Hang in there for more responses to your post; CONGRATULATIONS ! on your new machine and best of luck to you as you continue CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2014, 12:20 AM)guessagain Wrote: I did get a clinical manual emailed to me so I could find out how to get in to check the settings - minimum is 5 and max is 15 which was my original settings on the prescription. Guess I will try that out tonight to start out with.
I have horrible time going to sleep and staying asleep since started with this thing 4 years ago. between leaking and getting tangled in the hose and waking up all through the night I am getting less rest than before. And I now have to use sleep aid every night to get to sleep. I would throw the cpap away except I worry about my oxygen level during the night which is the reason my dr put me on to start with - my oxygen level fell during my sleep study so he recommended cpap.

Hi guessagain,

If the reason you are having a hard time falling asleep is because it feels like you need to work too hard to inhale enough air, the problem may be that the Min Pressure setting is set too low. (You can ask for it to be changed to 7 or 8 or higher).

Are you using EPR? EPR helps make it easier to breathe, too. (You can ask to have EPR turned on "Full Time" and controlled by "Patient", if it isn't already.)

It is important to start looking at the data in the SD card, if you are not already doing that.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the board.

Step #1 - fix it where you can't pull the CPAP off the table again.

The fall or the water tank could kill the new one, too.

Options:

Make some means of securely tying the hose to the headboard, table, whatever, such that if you pull on it, it doesn't pull the machine off the table.

Put the machine in a drawer.

Build some sort of cage or strap arrangement to keep it from falling off.

-----

Download the free SleepyHead program or ResScan and learn to read your own data.

Does your new machine say "AutoSet" next to the power button? If so, please put "S9 AutoSet" in your profile where it says ResMed S9 now.

Stick around and tinker a bit. You should probably reduce the auto range. Wide pressure changes make leaks more of a problem. Figure out what pressure you usually need and start your machine at a pressure closer to that.

As to repairing the old one, if you watch Craigslist for a few months, you may very well find a used S9 AutoSet somewhere locally for less than repairing the S8 would cost.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
guessagain,

I will echo what others have said. First, secure your machine so you don't knock it on the floor. However, at the same time, you need to be able to move for travel and to access your filters and water tank for the humidifier. Some folks have managed to fit them into the drawer of the night stand at night. Mine sits on top of the night stand, and I have wet the rubber feet so it has some resistance to sliding when the moisture dries. I also don't really care about what the top of the nightstand looks like (it is an older one that has served its purpose quite well).

I use a hose buddy that goes fits between the mattress and box spring and is velcroed to my head board. This brings the hose up and over and helps with the pulling of the hose during the night. It has two velcro loops to hold the hose and these also offer resistance to tugging. I also changed my hose from a 6 foot to a 10 feet. Coupled with the hose buddy, it gives you a lot of slack and really makes it hard to pull the unit off the night stand.

You can purchase the hose buddy and longer hoses from most of the folks on the supplier list. I know several folks have made their own hose buddy by mounting a heavy duty hook on the wall and then putting a heavy duty rubber band around the hose and connecting it to the hook. This will work, however, you may not like the esthetics.

Homer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for the good advice. After paying almost $900.00 for the new S9 autoset with humidifier the first thing I did was tie it down! Smile
I did turn the EPR function on last night and I seemed to sleep much better. Don't remember waking at all and since I started using cap 4 years ago I have almost never slept good withour waking several times throughout the night either from mask leaking or twisting and turning and wrapping the hose around my neck or jerking machine off table. Almost never a good night's sleep in 4 years. I always dread bedtime and have a terrible time going to sleep (well I did until my dr put me on ambien)
I am actually looking forward to sleeping tonight to see if the EPR is actually the reason for the difference or if it was my imagination.
Could using EPR make the mask leaking problem better or does that make sense?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 463 1 hour ago
Last Post: Old Steve
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 116 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 474 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 216 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
Grin [Equipment] JOY! I've been swapped to a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (from a SEFAM S.Box) dbcpap 9 1,242 02-12-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Resmed Autoset 10 buzzing noise - what now? mogulman 8 595 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Resmed 11 autoset For Her mode help! HMG7450 10 683 11-15-2023, 10:06 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.