Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DanEm [Therapy Thread]
RE: DanEm [Therapy Thread]
I use only one thin pillow.

I sleep on the right side because that is the best position for me to avoid much of a dry mouth.
I use a second pillow on my back to help stay on the right side.
It does not always work though and then I get the dry mouth.

Looking at the graphs I posted earlier, on the Jan 11 screenshot, out of 3 sessions 2 had pressure maxed out (17) for more than an hour.
Is that significant ?
When I had the pressure max setting at 16, the same pattern was there which had my therapist increase the pressure max to 17.

DanEm

"If life hands you lemons, make lemonade! Words to live by, especially when you keep in mind that the only way to make them into lemonade is to squeeze the hell out of them."
Post Reply Post Reply
I was hoping that by using the max EPR setting of 3, that would help with the flow limitations. It's the FL that drives pressure.

Do you feel that you are waking up due to the high pressure?
I'm not sure, but possibly lowering the maximum pressure might help. I personally like narrower pressure ranges, but doesn't work for everyone.

You could try 8-15, EPR 3.

Your numbers are good, it's just getting you to sleep better without waking so much.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The waking 2 3 times per night is something I have been doing for more than 30 years.
I always thought they were caused by my snoring.
Then I got an operation and after some years the snoring came back.
In short, it was just recently after I got a good score for apnea that I discarded the Idea my snoring woke me up.

I do not feel the pressure is waking me.
But when I wake up, sometimes there are air leaks. I just push a bit on the mask and it does not leak anymore.
I do that for a minute or two just to see what happens.
Then I usually get up.

I read that the waking at night could very well be just a habit.
There are things to do to try and eliminate such habit and I am getting there, just waiting to clear other small issues.
I am not good at chasing more than one rabbit at a time. (Please I'm 71 and don't think a change is possible. Too-funny )

As I said earlier, I do not feel physically anything different with the setting changes you proposed and which I did.
But, maybe it needs time to show, I don't know.

Again, beside from being tired during the day and unable to sit and watch TV without falling to sleep, I am physically fine (I think).

This forum is a great help to understand better what is going on and I appreciate that a lot.

DanEm

"If life hands you lemons, make lemonade! Words to live by, especially when you keep in mind that the only way to make them into lemonade is to squeeze the hell out of them."
Post Reply Post Reply
Sudden AHI peak
Been here before and had excellent support. Thank you all for your time and concern.

If you look at my Overview screenshot, you will notice that my results are generally good except for January 14 where my AHI peaked.

Through those nights, everything was the same. No special event in my days. No change of CPAP settings. No change in my diet, etc. Same routine every day.

Question 1:
Is this situation a concern?

Question 2:
Should I expect such behavior every once in a while?

Question 3:
Have you suggestions of what I could do to avoid such peaks?

DanEm

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sudden AHI peak
This is definitely positional apnea.  It doesn't matter if you're on your back or side, you are allowing your chin to tuck into your chest, and cutting off your air.

Are you using a soft cervical collar?

Also, it is preferable if you would keep your therapy posts to one thread so that folk don't have to go back and forth looking for what has already been tried.

I have merged this post with your previous Therapy Thread.

Although, it looks like you could use more pressure relief, you are already using the max EPR 3 for your machine.  

I'd have to go back and look, but I thought you were going to use a lower max pressure to keep the Flow Limitations from driving your pressure to max setting?

With that said, no amount of pressure changes will make much difference until you find a way to stop the positional issue.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, yep. Definitely time for a collar.
Post Reply Post Reply
DanEm positional issue
I will get a soft cervical collar to try.

Can you recommend a good one?

DanEm

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Also, it is preferable if you would keep your therapy posts to one thread so that folk don't have to go back and forth looking for what has already been tried.

I have merged this post with your previous Therapy Thread.

I understand and agree.

The only discussion about therapy I have now, is the AHI peak.

Can the rest be erased ?

DanEm

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2022, 05:36 PM)DanEm Wrote: I understand and agree.

The only discussion about therapy I have now, is the AHI peak.

Can the rest be erased ?

Sorry, we don't erase or delete prior questions. Even though you feel you have been helped, there are others here reading these threads with the same issues and questions, and may also be helped by the advice given.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I got a cervical collar and tried it last night.

Surprised to see an AHI peak at 19 and the pressure up to max for almost 3 hours for the first session.

I do not have enough history to know if such peaks are OK or a problem.

Your comments will be most welcome.

DanEm

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,072 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 168 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,268 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,359 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 966 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,211 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.