Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DanEm [Therapy Thread]
RE: DanEm [Therapy Thread] Positional Apnea, Need Suggestions
Gideon

I don't know if this will prove useful for my understanding but since you mentioned flow rate, I referred to the Respiratory Rate in my charts. (See included screenshot.)

Except for the Mid one, they are pretty hectic.

Do you see a problem there?

DanEm

"If life hands you lemons, make lemonade! Words to live by, especially when you keep in mind that the only way to make them into lemonade is to squeeze the hell out of them."
Post Reply Post Reply
That is why I avoid extremes except in special circumstances. Those look fine from that view. The min readings say that you are dead, obviously that is not thye case, Ignore extremes.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DanEm Positional Apnea, Need Suggestions
Going over my data, I realized that my best performance was between 22-Dec-21 and 09-Jan-22.  (See Settings_Jan_30_22.png)

I am wondering if I should revert to those?

Do my last results (Daily_View_Jan_29_22.png) show positional apnea?

Last discussion on that was that the collar I was using did not seem to do the job.
Asked without success for suggestions to replace the collar by a better one.

Not certain what I should do now Dont-know

DanEm

"If life hands you lemons, make lemonade! Words to live by, especially when you keep in mind that the only way to make them into lemonade is to squeeze the hell out of them."
Post Reply Post Reply
Flow limits are high and clustered OA say, get a better collar. There are a number of reviews in the reviews forum.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI for a session, a night, a week or a month
If you have similar sleeps for one night or one week or one month with AHI always around the same value my guess is that you have regular consistent sleeps.

In such a case, if you get tested by a doctor (one night sleep at a sleep clinic) the results will show the AHI that the doctor will base is treatment on if you need one.

If, like me, your sleeps are not regular i.e. different AHI for different sessions, days or weeks, then a one-time test does not seem reliable to describe your overall condition. You might need treatment or not.

Is there a (medical) standard which define for how long you should measure your AHI and then use the average value or the calculated overall AHI (total events of all sessions divided by total time for all sessions) to describe your apnea severity?

Or is there a general practice among patients taking such consideration into account?

DanEm

Post Reply Post Reply
Look for a taller collar, your big problem is positional, that and your flow limits are out of control.
Step 1. Resolve the positional aspect of your apnea.

Step 2. After positional apnea is resolved (or mostly so), Re-evaluate, especially looking at your flow Limits 95% Stat, if still high consider a BiLevel such as the VAuto for the higher pressure support to help manage the remaining hypopneas, Flow Limits, and RERAs.
Post Reply Post Reply
On AHI, the medical community looks at the events per hour, on a titration study it is for the brief period you were at a set of settings, usually just pressure and no EPR/PS unless it is a BiLevel Titration. Otherwise, it is just your overnight AHI, again in Events per hour.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Gideon
Step 1. Resolve the positional aspect of your apnea.

I will try the collar again.
I was thinking maybe a rigid collar if I can be comfortable with it. Something to explore.
That for my positional apnea.

Quote:Gideon
Step 2. Re-evaluate, especially looking at your flow Limits 95% Stat

What would be the values for flow Limits 95% that would be something like min, average, max or is it poor, ordinary or optimal.
Is there a range to consider or a value above which you are most likely dead or will soon be?  Laugh-a-lot

DanEm

Post Reply Post Reply
We shoot for 95% flow limitations less than 0.1 and consider that satisfactory. Flow limits don't seem to be scored consistently among different individuals, and sometimes 0.05 is not tolerated well, but for others it is bliss. So the point by Gideon is correct that when it is good enough you'll know by how you rfeel. I would think at this point, it's not so good. I think with correction of the positional obstruction you may get closer to the goal of less than 0.1 FL, but I would not be surprised if long-term you are better served by a bilevel like the Aircurve 10 Vauto. This wiki article discusses flow limitation and why bilevel PAP therapy is better, but we really need to address the airway obstruction from chin-tucking first http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._and_BiPAP
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Sleeprider
We shoot for 95% flow limitations less than 0.1 and consider that satisfactory.

Oh boy, I am way over that. See screenshot of graph I made.

I will definitely retry the cervical collar.

Aside a bilevel machine any other suggestion I could try to improve.

DanEm

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,060 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 154 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 251 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,262 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,336 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 955 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,199 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.