Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dangers of Using a CPAP Machine
RE: Dangers of Using a CPAP Machine
I have moderate that is managed with a dental appliance, I monitor with a pulse OX 7500. My uncle has had 2 recent "events" where a CPAP malfunction almost killed him, if it were not for my aunt he would have been DEAD. He was flailing and could not breath only after she removed the Nose piece the first time and a mask the second time could he breathe. First time he was unconscious for over an hour- para meds got there in 5. second time he was unresponsive for over a half hour following 100% O2.
Obviously something else is going on, anyone else ever hear of such events?
(02-20-2015, 12:37 AM)mcintoshjr Wrote: I have moderate that is managed with a dental appliance, I monitor with a pulse OX 7500. My uncle has had 2 recent "events" where a CPAP malfunction almost killed him, if it were not for my aunt he would have been DEAD. He was flailing and could not breath only after she removed the Nose piece the first time and a mask the second time could he breathe. First time he was unconscious for over an hour- para meds got there in 5. second time he was unresponsive for over a half hour following 100% O2.
Obviously something else is going on, anyone else ever hear of such events?

No personally I havent and not that im doubting what you say but I dont see how it could happen. Full Face Masks have entrainment valves. And Vents. They wont suffocate you if the machine quits entirely. Unless you are paralyzed and couldnt get the mask off for hours possibly.

As to a nasal mask all one would have to do is open their mouth and breathe.

Id take a wild guess there was something else going on with him health wise other than a cpap mask or machine.

I sincerely doubt it was CPAP related. Night terrors, maybe. Or he panicked to the point he thought he could not breathe so therefore he could not. But these things are designed to let air in and out with the machine off. Even Full Face Masks. If he was just wearing a nose piece (nasal pillows maybe?), then he could have just opened his mouth. If he was wearing a nasal mask the second time, again, just open his mouth.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC29011/

cpap caused an increase in renal vascular resistance - resulting in lower kidney output and therefore water retention.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9510662

but not bi-level. hummm

i think i will increase my epr from 2 to 3 and see if it helps my water retention problem!
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 13 215 8 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 4 163 03-14-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,446 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 345 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,252 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 253 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP machine fell on floor luigi28me 6 504 01-14-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.