Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dangers of Using a CPAP Machine
Dangers of Using a CPAP Machine
The question that many apnea patients ask is, are CPAP machines dangerous? While the risks are few, as with any electronic equipment, there are some dangers of using a CPAP machine. Continuous positive airway pressure, or CPAP, machines are used in the treatment of sleep apnea. The CPAP forces air into the airway to clear breathing obstructions that are associated with apnea while the patient sleeps. This allows patients to sleep without disruption, but with air being forced through the body by artificial means while the patient is sleeping it is questioned, is this dangerous? The overall answer is no it is not dangerous. CPAP use is not dangerous as long as the machine is working properly and certain safety precautions are taken. The dangers of using a CPAP are usually related to misuse. Misuse of any electronic device can be dangerous.

One of the dangers that an apnea patient may experience is that the air pressure is too great. If the air pressure is too great it can create problems. Too much pressure of air through the airway can cause, in extreme cases, hemorrhaging and stroke. In minor cases, the patient may experience headaches that are not relieved by changing the apparatus used with the device. If the sleep apnea patient begins having headaches after using the device, he or she should see a doctor to check out the problem. However, the patient should also have the CPAP machine examined and the output should be checked to ensure that the air pressure is not too forceful.

RE: Dangers of Using a CPAP Machine
Seems that someone, somewhere, must have decided that the dangers of using a CPAP are greater than what you have expressed since we have been saddled with the requirement of possessing a prescription to purchase the equipment. Perhaps the requirement is meant to save us from ourselves. To prohibit us from doing self diagnosis, getting it wrong, and not finding the true cause of our medical conditions. Or perhaps, if you are inclined to believe in conspiracy theories, maybe the medical professionals have decided to stand in the money stream between the OSA patient and the CPAP suppliers. :-)

CPAP equipment is controlled in multiple countries, so it appears that separate medical governing bodies have decided that it's not a good idea to put CPAP equipment into someone's hands without supervision.

The question is, why?
(06-22-2012, 02:02 AM)robpur Wrote: Seems that someone, somewhere, must have decided that the dangers of using a CPAP are greater than what you have expressed since we have been saddled with the requirement of possessing a prescription to purchase the equipment. Perhaps the requirement is meant to save us from ourselves. To prohibit us from doing self diagnosis, getting it wrong, and not finding the true cause of our medical conditions. Or perhaps, if you are inclined to believe in conspiracy theories, maybe the medical professionals have decided to stand in the money stream between the OSA patient and the CPAP suppliers. :-)

CPAP equipment is controlled in multiple countries, so it appears that separate medical governing bodies have decided that it's not a good idea to put CPAP equipment into someone's hands without supervision.

The question is, why?

Probably because it could kill you (In extreme Cases)

[/quote]
Probably because it could kill you (In extreme Cases)
[/quote]

Many unregulated things can kill you. There must be a back story on why CPAP equipment is regulated while other dangerous things are not. I'm curious about the thought process that brought regulation to CPAP equipment, by multiple countries, while other drugs and devices that could be equally or more dangerous have escaped regulation.

I believe that CPAP equipment should be regulated, but I'm not convinced that using a CPAP without medical supervision poses much of a danger. If CPAP equipment was not regulated, then it would likely be sold in places such as health food stores, vitamin shops, and from numerous online retailers by sales people with limited knowledge, or by outright cons, trying to make a buck on CPAP equipment through buzz words. This could deprive people with serious sleep issues, including OSA, from seeking proper medical attention.

(06-22-2012, 12:30 AM)Dreamcatcher Wrote: The question that many apnea patients ask is, are CPAP machines dangerous?
Dangerous if it fall on someone head
The gas emission of CPAP fart might be dangerous to the ozone hole
Can a CPAP inflate a balloon ???
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-a-balloon

I'm still waiting for ONE verifiable, real case of ANYONE, ANYWHERE who died where the cause of death was "improper CPAP pressure" or "too high of CPAP pressure"....

Nothing? Okay, how about ONE verifiable, real case of ANYONE, ANYWHERE who died where a contributing factor of the death was "improper CPAP pressure" or "too high of CPAP pressure".....

Anyone have a verifiable case of this EVER happening in real life? If so, do you have a link to any story... anywhere... that claims such a thing happened to anyone (other than some Internet jockey who's story can't be verified or cross-checked?) Dont-know

Waiting.... Eat-popcorn

Waiting.... Eat-popcorn

Waiting.... Eat-popcorn

Been waiting since 2004 for a verifiable event like this... so far... nothing... nope.... nada... zilch..... zero... Dont-know

Everyone claims improper CPAP pressure can KILL.... but there's no verifiable evidence AT ALL to even lend a small degree of credibility to that claim so far. Thinking-about

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

When I went in for surgery last year they put me on a CPAP that was higher than any pressure I have ever been on. When I came to, my ear was plugged up. It is still not right to this day. Now was that a bacterial infection from improperly cleaned equipment? Was it too high a pressure and I swallowed causing a weird pressure that blocked the eustation tube? Not sure. That's as close as I can come! Sorry! Smile
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
"...Or perhaps, if you are inclined to believe in conspiracy theories, maybe the medical professionals have decided to stand in the money stream between the OSA patient and the CPAP suppliers..."

Oh my, would they stoop to doing such a thing?!?!?

I have to say, I'm with SuperSleeper on this one. If there was any significant risk of death, CPAP's would be fully regulated and not commonly available in the aftermarket. After prescription, follow-up appointments would NOT be OPTIONAL, they would be mandatory.
--==<< old, experienced, but still curious >>==--
Since a ventilator is like a CPAP on steroids and they use those with folks who are ill and cannot breathe on their own (which means there's a ton of other health issues to consider), then I don't see how CPAP use can be dangerous or deadly.

Sure, the ventilator is used via a hose that goes down the throat and directs the air flow directly to the lungs (and not the stomach). There's more of a risk in inserting the hose than the machine itself (friend of mine had her trachea (?) punctured during the prep for a surgery)

There's many more 'dangerous' medical devices that require a prescription. I have a water pump that circulates heated water from the unit, through tubes and into a rubber and cloth pad. The water is returns to the device where it is heated and sent back. My instructions on how to use it? "Fill it with water, use for half an hour, turn off for half an hour." That was it.

I have a TENS unit. It delivers an electrical current via wires attached to cloth/plastic pads. These pads are placed, typically, near the muscle or area that is experiencing pain The theory is that the current stimulates blood flow and the slight shock sensation overrides the pain signal to the brain. My instructions? "Put it near where it hurts then play with the settings until you find a pattern that works for you. It should be high enough that you feel the shock but not so high it is painful. Use 20 minutes out of every hour." But I can go into an exercise store and get a similar thing in the form of a wrap that shocks the muscle so much it twitches.

Neither one of these things are dangerous. Yes, there's risk of burns if the water pump is turned to high. Same as with an electric heating pad you can get off the shelf. I caused MORE skin damage with one of those than I could ever do with the water version. Yes, the TENS unit can cause skin issues as well. And do NOT ever use it with pads that don't stick properly. The slightest gap between the pad and the skin will cause an arch which hurts like the beejeebers. Dangerous? Only if driving or allergic to dancing.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

I'm not saying that improper CPAP pressure will have no effects upon one's health... that would be silly. Of course having the correct CPAP pressure will help improve one's health.

I'm simply saying that the hysteria over this issue on some Sleep Apnea forums (that "too high a CPAP pressure can kill you") is just that... hysteria - with no basis in fact.

It's sort of like saying "Water can KILL you!".... yeah, well, duh, we know that... you can drown in it, ice cold water can kill you if you fall into a frozen lake, if you drink massive amounts of it, it can actually be toxic to your system.... yeah... we know all these things... BUT, the fact that water can kill you is no reason to get all hysterical and claim that it should be a controlled, prescription-only substance or that the amount of water you drink should dispensed via doctors or pharmacists. Rolleyes

It's being used as a reason to scare patients away from changing their own CPAP pressure so that they will pay a health care professional for that service instead of doing it themselves.

There's more real evidence that water can kill you than there is that too high of a CPAP pressure can kill you.

I'm just trying to bring some realistic down-to-earth common sense to this issue.

And, as always, these are my own thoughts and my humble opinion, of course and not medical advice. Too-funny

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 13 215 8 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 4 163 03-14-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,446 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 345 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,252 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 254 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP machine fell on floor luigi28me 6 504 01-14-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.