Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Darn this Stubborn Cold!
Darn this Stubborn Cold!
Hi guys

This is the first time I'm having a major bout of flu / cold after starting apap treatment.

It's entering into the 3rd week now after having completed a dose of Augmentin antibiotics. As I'm now blowing out all the green gooey stuff first thing in the morning when I flush the nasal passages with saline (ph balanced), doc has prescribed another round of Augmentin.

Dug the humidifier out of deep storage and set it at adaptive and at level 4. No longer sleeping in air-conditioning room. 

At the early stage, I couldn't sleep for 3 nights straight as the cough came once it hit close to midnight. Apap hit a AHI of 23 when my normal is 1.x. Saw lots of rainbow colors in my SleepyHead charts, which I've never seen before Bug-eyed. Was quite frightening actually to see all the events. 

Finally managed to keep it under control with hot toddy Mornincoffee just before bedtime and it was a life saver. Now I'm back to AHi of 1.x.

I'm wondering if the cpap is causing the delay in recovery (e.g. pushing the bacteria deeper into the lungs?) and I should stop it for a bit?

Would appreciate any advice / sharing / insights from your past experiences. Any issues with keeping up with the Hot toddy treatment - it's my first time trying out of desperation and seems to help with the sleep and keeping the nasty coughs at bay?
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Darn this Stubborn Cold!
Google Using CPAP when sick with cold or flu. It's a short clip and I thought pretty funny although it does explain things.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I feel your pain. I've had a bad cold, sinus infection and non stop coughing for 3 weeks now.
Have been on a couple different antibiotics, cough syrup, you name it.

It was hard to keep therapy going all night with all the coughing. I also noticed a much higher AHI.
I'm usually 1 or under and was seeing an AHI of 7 which most were Clear Airways, which I seldom have.

I'm done with all those medicines, but still fighting congestion.

All I can suggest is to keep plugging away using your Cpap as much as you can. When you can't, try to sit up in a recliner if you have one.

I doubt Cpap use will make it worse, but you may want to try to keep the humidity level lower. Sometimes too much humidity doesn't help with the congestion.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Newbee2016,
I hope you get over that stubborn cold, soon.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-17-2017, 10:12 PM)OpalRose Wrote: I feel your pain.  I've had a bad cold, sinus infection and non stop coughing for 3 weeks now.  
Have been on a couple different antibiotics, cough syrup, you name it.  

It was hard to keep therapy going all night with all the coughing.   I also noticed a much higher AHI.
I'm usually 1 or under and was seeing an AHI of 7 which most were Clear Airways, which I seldom have.

I'm done with all those medicines, but still fighting congestion.  

All I can suggest is to keep plugging away using your Cpap as much as you can.  When you can't, try to sit up in a recliner if you have one.

I doubt Cpap use will make it worse, but you may want to try to keep the humidity level lower.  Sometimes too much humidity doesn't help with the congestion.

Thanks OpalRose - and I shouldn't say welcome to the club. It is indeed a pain and having to get up for work bright and early is really no fun. I'm totally beat by the end of day and just moving along, a day at a time, waiting for the weekend to arrive so I can get some good rest. Take care too!
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-17-2017, 10:09 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Google Using CPAP when sick with cold or flu. It's a short clip and I thought pretty funny although it does explain things.

Yah, he looked totally sick and not himself.
lots-o-coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I have not had to quit cpap because of sinus infection, but in SOME cases of bronchitis, the doc may ask you to quit until your lungs have healed some. I do not know the criteria. Most of the time, they want you to continue therapy.

When I get sinus problems, I switch to a Circadian mask usually. I just cannot wear nasal pillows because the mask presses on a swollen area. Both nasal Circadian masks work fine (but do leak more than nasal pillows). I bought these out of pocket during an online sale. Last winter, I finally had a cold that closed down my ability to breathe through my nose and I was very happy that the person from whom I bought my backup apap included 3 full faced masks. I found one that worked great! I get colds very rarely, once every other year or so, primarily because I'm not around young kids and avoid grocery shopping on Saturday mornings.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  stubborn positional apnea Sleepless in Dewberry 4 594 09-01-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Tips for continuing PAP through a cold Bostonsnow 4 535 07-28-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Head cold Barbara.Levitan 2 597 03-10-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Equipment] Cold-weather camping? tundranapper 4 877 05-26-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  High pressures causing/worsening cold symptoms Chalkie 4 820 11-26-2021, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Chalkie
  BiPAP advisable with a cold? BobbieM 10 1,237 06-16-2021, 01:47 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Using CPAP while fighting off a cold or flue AlwaysTired2018 5 884 09-02-2020, 08:16 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.