Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Darth Vader Sound From RESMED AIRSENSE 11 MACHINE
Darth Vader Sound From RESMED AIRSENSE 11 MACHINE
Hi All,

I am new to CPAP, just got my Resmed Airsense 11 yesterday.
   Last night I notice Darth Vader like sound when I inhale(through my nose, using airfit N30i mask), but no noise at all when exhale.
   I located the noise is from the machine, but not use is from the humidifier or the hose joint or from inside of the machine.
   The noise is not very loud, but it is quite disturbing. or just because I am not used to it.

Can anyone with Airsense 11/ airsense 10 share with me, is it normal to have the Darth Vader like noise when inhale? or there is something wrong with my machine need to be addressed.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Darth Vader Sound From RESMED AIRSENSE 11 MACHINE
I see you asked the same question in two separate threads, that is kind of frowned upon, but I may as well answer here as well seeing as your post might get removed from the other thread due to it being viewed as hijacking the original conversation. (I personally don't mind, but you know it is part of the rules)

Anyways my modified reply here will be similar as over there but slightly different than over there but with a question at the end...

I would say that if it sounds like you are describing then something is clearly not quite right because while it isn't without some noise, it is not that noisy. I would say loud enough to know it is on but quiet enough to not be a disturbance, so there is more than likely some sort of obstruction somewhere between the pump or filters or hose or mask or a combination of all four.

Apart from the time where I had the Styrofoam pad between the mask and hose get clogged (a simple 20-30 minute soak in water and then let it air dry fixed that problem though I couldn't do that till the next day for obvious reasons), the only time I notice any noise like you are describing is when I wake up, sense something is off, then realize oh I am forgetting to breath, and then when I make a conscious effort to start breathing again accidently taking a deep gasp at first, probably because I am forcing more air through then the pump is pumping and so makes that noise because that forcing of the air puts a strain on the pump. But that is really forcing the air and not just normal levels of breathing. So while I can't say I don't know what sound you probably mean, for me it is quite clear what the cause of the machine being louder than normal is, forcing air through quicker then the pump is currently running at.

So with that said you say it is only when you inhale, do you feel like you are gasping for the air when you are inhaling forcing the air to move quicker than it is being pumped or do you feel like you are breathing at a normal rate? If it is only during inhaling that would probably be the most likely culprit  is trying to intake air quicker than the machine is pumping the air.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a newbie A11 user and yes, it will make that noise if you inhale heavily or quickly as I often do when I first put on the mask (I use a Dreamwear) but it should soon settle down as you get used to the pressure. Have you tried Autoramp? If the noise continues (try testing this during the day?) then there might be something wrong. If you're using a heated line and humidity, this can also create some 'noise'.

Earplugs are a great option for blocking unwanted APAP sounds.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had something similar with my new airsense 10,i found that when i lifted the machine off my bedside table it stopped,so i put tea towel under the machine,and it stopped,the machine doesnt have rubber feet,so the noise is amplified through the bedside table.
Post Reply Post Reply
Be sure the humidifier is fully seated and not leaking. Pressure is higher on inhale with EPR and will make a bit more noise. I keep my machine in a drawer in a bedside chest/table and run the tube and power out of the back through a 2-inch hole. No noise and no machine in site.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 52 1,365 Yesterday, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,272 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 126 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 8 167 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Do you stop your Airsense machine when you go to the bathroom during nighttime? dharma2255 10 317 04-12-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 74 26,930 04-11-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 155 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.