Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Data Collection - Please educate me.
RE: Data Collection - Please educate me.
I do have a good Doc for this. I receive a questionnaire at regular intervals (3 months) asking specific questions relative to how my CPAP program is going. If there's anything odd that I reply I'm brought in for another sleep over. Then 6 months visits to ensure I'm Ok and following the prescription.

I'm reading between the lines here but I get the feeling that a lot of people just hate the system. The mask, having to do this. My Doc's big concern is always "are you actually using this". For me I find this odd. I started this right from the beginning couldn't imagine not doing it and I guess I'm easy to get along with as I had no major issues at all. I put in on: I fall to sleep. Done....

My only tiny issue was leaking around my chubby cheeks also do to 17 lbs pressure. I solved this by making myself a laniard that holds the mask on my face more tightly. It works wonderfully well. I also found a better, more comfortable head strap on eBay that I now prefer to the ResMed OEM version so now.... no leaks, no more problems and at night now I rarely move.

I'm looking forward now to doing some tracking of my experience and providing that data to my Doc with the questionnaire. I'll see how this goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Question 
So now I have a question: Okay

When I receive my card and reader how exactly do I use the card in the machine. (I don't have a manual)

1) Do I leave the card in the machine all the time to collect data?
2) Do I just stick it in and the machine transfers the data all by itself?

I assume the machine must be plugged in. So what do I do? Huhsign (you need an "aye" smilie) Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
You leave the card in the machine all of the time. You take it out only to load the data into Rescan or Sleepyhead software. We always "lock" the card before putting it into the computer and then always "unlock" the card before putting back into the machine. We do this daily but after a while maybe we will only do it weekly. The machine saves the summary data for a long time but the more detailed data and graphs are saved only for a short period of time which varies by which machine you have.

(01-20-2013, 11:21 AM)snuffles Wrote: So now I have a question: Okay

When I receive my card and reader how exactly do I use the card in the machine. (I don't have a manual)

I assume the machine must be plugged in. So what do I do? Huhsign (you need an "aye" smilie) Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2013, 11:21 AM)snuffles Wrote: So now I have a question: Okay

you can ask for the manual to be sent to you via email, scroll down to section three
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

1) not sure ... need to be verified by an S8 user
2) yes. to copy data, the machine has to be plugged and in standby mode
you inset data card into the machine, copying of data will start and "card inserted please wait" message is displayed
when done "copy complete remove card" message is displayed
(the message is displayed even if the card is left in the machine)

[Image: product_353.jpg] ..... [Image: SD_memory-lock.jpg]
S8 data card .......................................................... S9 SD card

S8 setup video and other machines/masks videos
http://vimeo.com/19565675

S8 data management guide
http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/document...er_eng.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2013, 11:21 AM)snuffles Wrote: 1) Do I leave the card in the machine all the time to collect data?

Hi Snuffles,

For a ResMed S9 series device you leave the SD Card in the machine all the time.

For your ResMed S8 series device, use option #2 (above), you'll insert the card into the slot (while it's plugged-in) and watch the screen, it will say writing data and when it's finished you remove the SmartCard and then insert it into the SmartCard reader on your computer, then select Download in ResScan, be sure to select All Data when the Download dialog window opens.

You don't leave the SmartCard in an S8 device, you only put it in when you're ready to dump the data onto it, also, the S8 only stores 4 days of detailed data, so you need to do this every 4 days or less, if you wait for 5 days you'll lose the oldest day of detailed data but you'd still get therapy hours and AHI.

The instruction manual for ResScan is available after you install ResScan, from the Windows Start Menu-> All Programs->ResMed->ResScan Clinicians Manual.

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi snuffles, welcome to the forum!

You insert the S8 datacard into the machine right side up, but you insert it into the USB card reader bottom side up (copper traces up).

Also, when importing data into ResScan, on the second and later times you do this, you will be prompted to either overwrite or discard. This refers to overwriting the data ResScan has from earlier downloads, or discarding the new data (for days where ResScan already has some data, no matter how little). I think it is safest to always choose Discard, or you may overwrite earlier days with only summary data, if that is all the card still holds for the previous days. (Not sure if this bug applies to latest version of ResScan.)

A "day" begins and ends at noon. If you WANT to overwrite a previously-downloaded day, simply right click on the session in the navigation window on the left, and delete all data for that session. That way, when you next download the data on the datacard and select Discard as always, it will bring in whatever is on the card for that day, since there is no previous data for the deleted day.

If you ever Exit without first Saving the new download, the new download will be lost and need to be re-downloaded if you actually wanted to save the data.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
WOW thanks folks... lots of great info...

I have 2 S8 machines. I'm not that smitten with the S9 so I'll probably stick with the S8.

Will get the manuals and read up.

Thanks a bunch..
Post Reply Post Reply
So is this a deep dark secret??? All this data stuff...?? Dont-know

I happened to go into my CPAP providers store to get some wipes and ended up chatting with the CPAP person and... Wholly crap I happen to mention this data collection and they just about had kittens. I'm not allow software, or the card or anything. When they kicked up such a fuss I stopped talking about it.

It seems they want to run everything....

They wanted to know where the software came from so I told them about Sleepyhead. ResMed sells the card and reader so I don't know what's the big deal.

Gee.. you'd think I was stealing from the store.

I can home called my Doc to ask him about it and his take was: "good for you, tracking your own progress". He wants me to share with him.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yep. Kittens is mild to some of the responses some of us have had. Mine said "it is information you would not understand. only your doctor can."
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2013, 05:57 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Yep. Kittens is mild to some of the responses some of us have had. Mine said "it is information you would not understand. only your doctor can."

Ya, I guess we're all stupid....
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need Help with Data Collection from Airsense 11 TragicKnight 5 615 11-25-2023, 07:47 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Doctor says perfect data, but extremely tired - OSCAR Data Auzzyrocks 13 2,653 12-04-2022, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Lucid
Question [Pressure] Doctor can't see detailed data - Can my OSCAR data save me from another sleep study? KidCharlamagne 5 898 09-28-2022, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Health] Someone please educate me... Jklsr55 1 390 09-07-2022, 02:46 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  [CPAP] Data showing clear airway apneas: central apnea or soft palate collapse? Data inc. JamesD0079 0 801 03-21-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  MyAir methodology for collection of use data Ard Diem 4 581 07-01-2021, 09:43 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Dreamstation CPAP vs Aircurve BiPap data? Data over time for Insp/Exp? Desiree 12 2,285 05-20-2020, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.