Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Data Collection - Please educate me.
RE: Data Collection - Please educate me.
(01-22-2013, 05:49 PM)snuffles Wrote: Gee.. you'd think I was stealing from the store.
same here. some time ago, the lady at the cpap shop said Resmed going to have some issues with you or something to that effect
scare the pants off me, thought some stasi cpap police going to knock at the door in the middle of the night

Post Reply Post Reply
LOL Good one, Zonk!

He cracked the knuckles of his right hand inside the doeskin black gloves. "I hear you've been a bad boy, Zonk."

Zonk's swallow was audible. "I just--"

A glove covered finger rested on Zonk's lips. "Tsk, there's no 'just' unless it comes from me." He removed the finger and cracked the knuckles of his left hand. "ResMed is displeased. They sent me here to demonstrate their....displeasure."
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2013, 01:52 AM)snuffles Wrote: ... and I have now downloaded and installed the ResScan software although it only runs on Windoze... yuk.. but even so I'm all ready and I'm now anxious to see some results.

SleepyHead is better software and it runs on other platforms.

The two important things to look at are the leaks and the AHI. Once you're convinced that your leaks are within spec you want to see if your AHI is below 5.

Beyond that it's all about dissecting the AHI to see what type of events you're having that contribute to your AHI, and how long those events last. Sometimes people want to add an oximeter so they know how low their oxygen level drops during their events.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2013, 08:32 PM)Sleepster Wrote: SleepyHead is better software and it runs on other platforms.

It is, however, not fully documented whereas ResScan has extensive documentation and from what I've been able to gather, upgrading from 4.1 to 4.2 only meant printing off one more page and adding it to the user manual. I acknowledge that SleepyHead is open source and will be updated whenever the programmers get around to it, especially with the documentation but sometimes I'm not quite as intuitive as I feel I should be and a complete instruction manual helps.
That is the ONLY reason I prefer ResScan although I admit that I do prefer the report SleepyHead printed out. I can hardly wait for the bozos at VitalAire to get their act together and exchange my brick for an AutoSet. Then I'll get a report with reading.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2013, 05:49 PM)snuffles Wrote: So is this a deep dark secret??? All this data stuff...?? Dont-know

I happened to go into my CPAP providers store to get some wipes and ended up chatting with the CPAP person and... Wholly crap I happen to mention this data collection and they just about had kittens. I'm not allow software, or the card or anything. When they kicked up such a fuss I stopped talking about it.

It seems they want to run everything....

They wanted to know where the software came from so I told them about Sleepyhead. ResMed sells the card and reader so I don't know what's the big deal.

Gee.. you'd think I was stealing from the store.

I can home called my Doc to ask him about it and his take was: "good for you, tracking your own progress". He wants me to share with him.

You're dealing with the medical mafia, son. What you did is like going up to your local neighborhood street corner drug dealer and asking about bringing in drugs on your own instead of letting him get his cut.

My apologies for insulting members of the real mafia by comparing them to the medical community.

Unfortunately, I'm only partly joking. By and large, the medical community is more concerned with preserving their profits than doing what's best for the patient. They'll protest that they're trying to keep the patient from hurting himself, but strangely enough, their idea of what's "best for the patient" is usually best for their wallet.

"Best profit" is so deeply ingrained in the medical mafia, that many of them actually believe their own lies.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2013, 08:32 PM)Sleepster Wrote: SleepyHead is better software and it runs on other platforms.

SH doesn't work for Snuffles' S8 machine, unfortunately.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2013, 02:27 AM)archangle Wrote:
(01-22-2013, 05:49 PM)snuffles Wrote: So is this a deep dark secret??? All this data stuff...?? Dont-know

Wholly crap I happen to mention this data collection and they just about had kittens. I'm not allow software, or the card or anything. When they kicked up such a fuss I stopped talking about it.

It seems they want to run everything....

They wanted to know where the software came from so I told them about Sleepyhead. ResMed sells the card and reader so I don't know what's the big deal.

Gee.. you'd think I was stealing from the store.

I can home called my Doc to ask him about it and his take was: "good for you, tracking your own progress". He wants me to share with him.

You're dealing with the medical mafia, son. What you did is like going up to your local neighborhood street corner drug dealer and asking about bringing in drugs on your own instead of letting him get his cut.

Unfortunately, I'm only partly joking. By and large, the medical community is more concerned with preserving their profits than doing what's best for the patient.

Meanwhile my respiratory therapist at first seemed surprised when I said I use ResScan - "you're using the same program that I am!" and when, out of self-preservation I adjusted my pressure to that of my new prescription she seemed disappointed. Maybe because I cheated her out of $40. I believe she checked my machine anyhow out of disbelief. If and when she hands me an S9 AutoSet I wonder how she'll take it when I say "Cut the preliminaries, give me the machine and I'll set it up when I get home."

But seriously she apparently did take me for the "usual" dunce. She said that most of her patients, in her opinion, don't need a fancy (read: data capable) machine and are perfectly fine with an Escape model. Uh, not me. I've been at this a long long time and I need to take charge of things. She didn't seem to believe me at first that ResMed would be willing to trade up. But of course, I was right. She checked. Earthlings. What am I going to do with them? Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
Well funny thing....

I ordered the card reader for the S8 and what do you know... it comes with a card AND THE SOFTWARE.... so I can now assume these local sellers are just liars and just trying to pad their own pocket.

I purchased this from a CPAP supply online and it was $30 plus $12 shipping. Came in a nice little ResMed box.

I tried Sleepyhead and the first thing it did after the install was to check for an update. I received an error: "an error occurred parsing the html to check for updates". So as an old IT guy (over 30 years) if whomever wrote this can't even get that much of the code correct why should I trust the rest of it? Sad Bye bye Sleepyhead..

So, I loaded ResScan even though it's Windows and it works just fine. Here's another typical head up the butt routine though. I inserted the card in my cute little S8 and it did as you guys described previously. Told me to wait, loaded the data and told me to remove the card when done... good little machine. Smile Then I stick the card in the reader and NOTHING... I then read the instructions to ensure I haven't missed anything and I see my problem.

The card must be installed in the S8 as per the arrow with the chip down, but it then must be installed upside-down with the chip up in the reader. WHAT COMPLETE INCOMPETENT MORRON DREAMT THIS UP???? This is why the world hates Engineers.

So anyway after that all went wonderfully well I loaded my data and even though I said in another post here I made a laniard to reduce the leak of my mask the leaks are awful so I need to do a lot more to improve that area.

I had my machine tested not more than a week ago for pressure to find it was low. It was adjusted back up to where it should be: 17 lbs. This also showed up on the graph. If I had had this previously I'd have known this sooner.

So, in conclusion: what a great learning experience.... and to think only a short time ago I ask you folks why I would want this data.. NOW I KNOW.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2013, 02:36 PM)Ugly Wrote:
(01-23-2013, 02:27 AM)archangle Wrote:

Earthlings. What am I going to do with them? Dont-know

Scott me up beamie... there's no intelligent life here.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2013, 07:19 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: LOL Good one, Zonk!

He cracked the knuckles of his right hand inside the doeskin black gloves. "I hear you've been a bad boy, Zonk."

Zonk's swallow was audible. "I just--"

A glove covered finger rested on Zonk's lips. "Tsk, there's no 'just' unless it comes from me." He removed the finger and cracked the knuckles of his left hand. "ResMed is displeased. They sent me here to demonstrate their....displeasure."

Now there's an over active imagination....Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need Help with Data Collection from Airsense 11 TragicKnight 5 612 11-25-2023, 07:47 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Doctor says perfect data, but extremely tired - OSCAR Data Auzzyrocks 13 2,651 12-04-2022, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Lucid
Question [Pressure] Doctor can't see detailed data - Can my OSCAR data save me from another sleep study? KidCharlamagne 5 896 09-28-2022, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Health] Someone please educate me... Jklsr55 1 388 09-07-2022, 02:46 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  [CPAP] Data showing clear airway apneas: central apnea or soft palate collapse? Data inc. JamesD0079 0 798 03-21-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  MyAir methodology for collection of use data Ard Diem 4 577 07-01-2021, 09:43 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Dreamstation CPAP vs Aircurve BiPap data? Data over time for Insp/Exp? Desiree 12 2,281 05-20-2020, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.