Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Data Collection - Please educate me.
RE: Data Collection - Please educate me.
Oh, and one more thing..... I expected my S8 to only have a weeks worth of data based on comments here but it gave me data right back to July of last year. Neat...
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2013, 03:34 PM)snuffles Wrote: Oh, and one more thing..... I expected my S8 to only have a weeks worth of data based on comments here but it gave me data right back to July of last year. Neat...
the S8 data card store 365 days of compliance data and 3-4 of detailed data
S9 SD card store same number days of compliance data but 30 days of detailed data
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/s9_ser...nc=dealers

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:I tried Sleepyhead and the first thing it did after the install was to check for an update. I received an error: "an error occurred parsing the html to check for updates". So as an old IT guy (over 30 years) if whomever wrote this can't even get that much of the code correct why should I trust the rest of it? Sad Bye bye Sleepyhead..

Actually, it is not an uncommon thing to have to run something in administrator mode either during install or for updates. Except most programs gives you a popup window that says something to that effect. Or Windows says you have to do it.

To update SleepyHead, start the program "as administrator", it will update. It's the only time you have to do this.

(01-23-2013, 03:22 PM)snuffles Wrote: Now there's an over active imagination....Dielaughing

I'm a writer. I couldn't help myself.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2013, 05:54 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:
Quote:I tried Sleepyhead and the first thing it did after the install was to check for an update. I received an error: "an error occurred parsing the html to check for updates". So as an old IT guy (over 30 years) if whomever wrote this can't even get that much of the code correct why should I trust the rest of it? Sad Bye bye Sleepyhead..

Actually, it is not an uncommon thing to have to run something in administrator mode either during install or for updates. Except most programs gives you a popup window that says something to that effect. Or Windows says you have to do it.

To update SleepyHead, start the program "as administrator", it will update. It's the only time you have to do this.

(01-23-2013, 03:22 PM)snuffles Wrote: Now there's an over active imagination....Dielaughing

I'm a writer. I couldn't help myself.

I was running SH in OSX.. I am the administrator.. it has a bug.. trust me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dont-know

It's too good a software to be shrugged off because of an alleged glitch. The software is also opensource. Feel free to help Mark.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Paula: it turns out SleepyHead doesn't handle the S8 data card, so someone here told me so I didn't go further with it. The new ResScan works wonderfully well so I'll stick with it.

I did notice one anomaly with it though. I guess it's really the machine. ResScan reports 17.6 lbs pressure but when an external tester is applied to the machine the tester reports 17 lbs. The machine thinks it's doing better than it really is and reports so.

Ok... a new question

I have corrected my leak issue and studying the data for the past week or more I see my AHI has improved but it's still up at 6 to 8.

What do you suggest to get it down to 5??? I'm at a loss..

Or... am I just worrying for nothing???

Based on my understanding here:
Apnea-hypopnea index, or AHI, is an index used to assess the severity of sleep apnea based on the total number of complete cessations (apnea) and partial obstructions (hypopnea) of breathing occurring per hour of sleep. These pauses in breathing must last for 10 seconds and are associated with a decrease in oxygenation of the blood. In general, the AHI can be used to classify the severity of disease (mild 5-15, moderate 15-30, and severe greater than 30).
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2013, 10:38 AM)snuffles Wrote: Paula: it turns out SleepyHead doesn't handle the S8 data card, so someone here told me so I didn't go further with it. The new ResScan works wonderfully well so I'll stick with it.

I did notice one anomaly with it though. I guess it's really the machine. ResScan reports 17.6 lbs pressure but when an external tester is applied to the machine the tester reports 17 lbs. The machine thinks it's doing better than it really is and reports so.

Ok... a new question

I have corrected my leak issue and studying the data for the past week or more I see my AHI has improved but it's still up at 6 to 8.

What do you suggest to get it down to 5??? I'm at a loss..

Or... am I just worrying for nothing???

Based on my understanding here:
Apnea-hypopnea index, or AHI, is an index used to assess the severity of sleep apnea based on the total number of complete cessations (apnea) and partial obstructions (hypopnea) of breathing occurring per hour of sleep. These pauses in breathing must last for 10 seconds and are associated with a decrease in oxygenation of the blood. In general, the AHI can be used to classify the severity of disease (mild 5-15, moderate 15-30, and severe greater than 30).

The goal would be to get AHI at 5.0 or lower. Things to try would include:

1. Try to go to bed and getting up at the same time every day.
2. Adding a RemZZZ or Quietus liner. My husband has been using both of them. His AHI is definitely lower from each of them. He is mostly below 1.4 since using these (often below 1.0). He started using them because his nose was red and irritated. No longer has a red nose and his AHI is down.
3. Time. You just started so it will get better over time.
4. Keep up with looking at the data and take notes each day as to what was going on (e.g. bed time, whether you had a beer, how recently you washed your mask, humidity level, etc). Over time you get to see a pattern where you might not expect it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your S8 may need to be recalibrated. It happens. My old S7 had to be done twice in it's tenure on my side table.

You could try to bump the pressure up slightly. Or even lowering it. Make the change in small increments, like .2 at a time, and leave it for a week.

Does the data say what the events are? As in does it detect "clear airway" events? Or just obstructive and hypopneas?

And yes, that's the definition of the AHI. The total number of events divided by the number of hours slept.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2013, 12:54 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Does the data say what the events are? As in does it detect "clear airway" events? Or just obstructive and hypopneas?

The S8 series doesn't detect Clear Airway or Central Apnea's, it's limited to OSA & hypopnea's only.
Post Reply Post Reply
Remind me again, how long have you been using CPAP? If it is not that long, this is something to discuss with your doc. But if you are an old hand at this, try to raise your pressure very slowly to see what happens. Each change should take a week at minimum so you can watch the data and see a trend.

The reason for the doc is that new users need to be monitored and assisted until their body and brain get used to the pressure. But for those of us who have been at it longer and have acclimatized, we understand better how our bodies and brain are doing with treatment. Whereas before I didn't really notice I was so tired, once I started getting good sleep, I saw I was miserable before and just didn't know it because I had nothing to compare it to. I do now!

Also consider doing a sleep journal, even if all you do is writing down the change you made and the date. But a sleep journal during changes can really help. Write down how you feel when you woke up, how your day went (stress wise), how you feel when you went to bed, anything new and different for that day, etc.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need Help with Data Collection from Airsense 11 TragicKnight 5 615 11-25-2023, 07:47 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Doctor says perfect data, but extremely tired - OSCAR Data Auzzyrocks 13 2,653 12-04-2022, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Lucid
Question [Pressure] Doctor can't see detailed data - Can my OSCAR data save me from another sleep study? KidCharlamagne 5 896 09-28-2022, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Health] Someone please educate me... Jklsr55 1 390 09-07-2022, 02:46 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  [CPAP] Data showing clear airway apneas: central apnea or soft palate collapse? Data inc. JamesD0079 0 801 03-21-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  MyAir methodology for collection of use data Ard Diem 4 580 07-01-2021, 09:43 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Dreamstation CPAP vs Aircurve BiPap data? Data over time for Insp/Exp? Desiree 12 2,285 05-20-2020, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.