Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

Question Data Happy Diabetics....
I know there are a whole bunch of data addicts on this board - that's why we came, right? Big Grin and I know that many of us are diabetics. I need to get a new meter --- so what meters do the folks here like and why?

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
10-17-2015 05:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Data Happy Diabetics....
Bayer Contour Next USB. Decent software. I can plug it into the computer and get the data from it whenever. If you register it, they send you a cool case. I have 2. One I keep here at my desk. The other I keep in my bag. The strips aren't too expensive. The stabber thingy takes any lancet. The Bayer ones they recommend are ghastly expensive.

Edited to add: the only thing I dislike about it is the device only has three options to enter for when you take a test: fasting, before a meal, after a meal, and other. You can't customize on the device itself. You can make notes within the software and it shows up in the reports but I wish I could select it on the device so I remember. Like, feeling weird or got the shakes.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-17-2015 08:42 PM
DariaVader Offline
Monitors

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Is the software cross-platform? or is it Winders only??? Cross platform or mobile (android, not iphone) would be a huge plus for me

10-17-2015 09:56 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

I use the Bayer Contour Next Link USB meter. I like it because it is accurate compared to the A1C test that is done at the doctor's office. It is small and also "talks" to my insulin pump. I don't use Bayer's software because when I download my pump, every blood stick has already been entered automatically. I use Accu-Chek Multiclix lancet device.
10-17-2015 10:27 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

No, Bayer doesn't have a mobile app. I keep looking for one but, nope.

Edited to add: their software is for Win and Mac.

If you go to look at them, you want the Contour Next, not just the regular Contour. Their ContourNext website has coupons for the meter and a card you can get to save on the strips each month.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-18-2015 12:34 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
DariaVader Offline
Monitors

I like their importance on accuracy!!! the reason I need a new one is bc the current one is horribly unreliable and I have had the same sample be different by > 50. Simply unacceptable. (It's an Ultra2 and several yrs old)

10-18-2015 02:40 AM
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

(10-18-2015 02:40 AM)DariaVader Wrote:  I like their importance on accuracy!!! the reason I need a new one is bc the current one is horribly unreliable and I have had the same sample be different by > 50. Simply unacceptable. (It's an Ultra2 and several yrs old)

Sorry I don't remember where I read this, but I read that if your meter is more than 2 years old that it might need to be replaced because of accuracy issues. I've also had meters that differ greatly from one reading to the next - even though the readings are taken one right after another. I can't speak for other people, but I've found that even though the Bayer Contour Next USB meter is great, the customer service from Bayer absolutely awful.
10-18-2015 08:49 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Mosquitobait Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

I'm a little late to this thread, but just so you know, that manufacturing standards change as of Jan 1. All meters MADE must be within a plus or minus 15% accuracy. Currently, it is 20%. Accucheck meters already met this law requirement. Bayer NEXT all meet the new standard.

Meters will continue to be sold on the old standard until they run out. The pharmacists at both Target and Walmart didn't even know about this change, so have no idea whether their meters met the new standard or not. My doctor said that if you aren't using insulin, having the higher level of accuracy isn't really going to change anything.

Now, the snag. If you want your insurance to continue to pay for your strips for your new meter, you are going to have to have your doc write you a new prescription for the new meter. In addition, if you want a Bayer next meter, you can get a free one up until the end of this year through their web site. You'll get a coupon and combined with your doctor's prescription, you'll get a free meter.

If you want an app that you enter your info in (vs. using the Bayer USB one), GB Pro works very nicely. I've been using it for two years. Easy to log your data. You can try it for free to see if it suits your needs. I think the upgrade is $5.

Ok, probably more than you want to know...
11-25-2015 12:01 AM
DariaVader Offline
Monitors

no.... that is exactly what i wanted to know Big Grin bought a new next usb -- only to find the stupid ins company will not cover the strips Angry unfortunately, the usb next agreed with my old ultra2.... my blood sugar is now officially out of control for the first time in 30 years of managing it Sad

11-25-2015 12:14 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

Sex: Male

I tried the AccuChek meters and hated them; they require too much blood. My favorite meter is the Freestyle Lite - requires a very small amount of blood and you don't have to keep track on the supply number or key it into the reader every time you change tubes.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
11-26-2015 12:50 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Happy Halloween 0rangebear 6 243 11-07-2016 03:14 PM
Last Post: 0rangebear
  Another step toward eliminating fingerpricks for diabetics... DeepBreathing 0 121 09-26-2016 07:37 AM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  Happy U.S. Independence Day pupcamper 12 495 07-04-2016 10:35 PM
Last Post: 0rangebear
  Happy Canada Day!! cate1898 1 269 07-01-2016 06:47 PM
Last Post: chill
Video Happy Extended Memorial day weekend SeriousJoker 1 232 05-28-2016 06:29 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear
  type 2 diabetics... cause for hope? DariaVader 7 492 03-15-2016 07:22 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear
  Happy 240th Birthday USMC justMongo 3 457 11-11-2015 12:38 AM
Last Post: justMongo