Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Data Question
Data Question
I am old and not a computer person. Could I mail my sd card to someone and they would get the data and send it back to me along with info about how I'm doing. Also can dme tell if I have removed the sd card for a few days. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Data Question
Call your DME and tell them you would really like to know what your results are, and would they mind doing what you ask. They probably will say "no, we could read the card for you, but we would have to send the results to your doctor." That would also be fine, as your doctor has to give you your records if requested.

As to "can the DME tell if you have removed the card?" Well, when you put it back in the machine it will record much of the missing data. At least the stuff that allows them to get paid by Medicare. So not really a problem. Then too, there really isn't any such thing as the "CPAP Police," so what you do with your machine is really no one's business other than you, unless you wish for it to be.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have never had a problem with my DME downloading and giving me a printed copy of my card.
For free Medicare assistance for your state check out this page. http://www.seniorsresourceguide.com/dire...onal/SHIP/
or here http://www.medicareinteractive.org/
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not have a sleep doctor and my DME is the VA which is 100 miles away. I had a sleep test in 1989 and was issued a cpap set at 13.5. I recently got my third machine also set at 13.5. The only time I was asked to send smart card was last year. I have never slept a night without cpap since 1989. My post was to see if someone could tell me about where I stand with the therapy. Thanks anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2015, 12:05 PM)papaw Wrote: I am old and not a computer person. Could I mail my sd card to someone and they would get the data and send it back to me along with info about how I'm doing. Also can dme tell if I have removed the sd card for a few days. Thanks

Is there a computer savvy person near you that could help? If so, show them this site and your post and have them PM me with their email address. I'll try to help as much as possible.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2015, 12:05 PM)papaw Wrote: I am old and not a computer person. Could I mail my sd card to someone and they would get the data and send it back to me along with info about how I'm doing. Also can dme tell if I have removed the sd card for a few days. Thanks

with your health issues, I cannot believe nobody is watching your data. Are you using oxygen?

That being said, as long as you have been treated for SA, they haven't done another sleep study or something to check and make sure that your pressure is right?

You could send your SD card to the VA and have them read it (make sure you have a spare card to put in your machine if you want to keep the data on the card). Since you aren't really into computers, you may not be concerned with losing info before the VA sends the card back to you (hopefully they will).

You want to be careful sending something like that to people you don't know unless they are at the VA or a medical facility. You could ask the VA if they have a modem they could send you and that would help them check your data without you having to make a 200 mile round trip.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2015, 03:08 PM)papaw Wrote: I do not have a sleep doctor and my DME is the VA which is 100 miles away. I had a sleep test in 1989 and was issued a cpap set at 13.5. I recently got my third machine also set at 13.5. The only time I was asked to send smart card was last year. I have never slept a night without cpap since 1989. My post was to see if someone could tell me about where I stand with the therapy. Thanks anyway.

The VA DME should be able to send you a mailer for your SD card, and you put your card in and mail it to them for them to analyze. They could then mail the card back to you with new pressure settings if needed.

Getting them to do it is another question. They did it for my Dad without being asked.

Actually, they could send you a cell modem that you screw onto the back of your CPAP machine, and then they could read your data and adjust your machine remotely.

Are you computer literate enough to copy the SD card to your computer, zip it up, and e-mail it to someone?

By the way, you can press some buttons on your current machine and get average AHI numbers. Not as good as looking at the data in detail, but if the numbers are good, it is a good sign.

Are you having any problems that make you worried about your therapy?
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you want to do this, I'll help. I strongly recommend you get a second SD card from any store, Amazon or other source so you can continue to collect data. I can email your results in Acrobat format that you should be able to read for free. I am not responsible if your card is lost in the mail, and I am not a medical professional.

If you want assistance, send me a private message through the forum with your email address and name, I'll give you a mailing address.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Surely there is another CPAPer from Myrtle Beach SC that could help you out...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about reliability of the CPAP data zynsa 4 659 08-02-2023, 05:50 PM
Last Post: zynsa
  Question on data interpretation/meaning - flow rate dstone5 2 500 02-08-2023, 08:09 PM
Last Post: dstone5
  Doctor says perfect data, but extremely tired - OSCAR Data Auzzyrocks 13 2,651 12-04-2022, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Lucid
Question [Pressure] Doctor can't see detailed data - Can my OSCAR data save me from another sleep study? KidCharlamagne 5 896 09-28-2022, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [CPAP] Data showing clear airway apneas: central apnea or soft palate collapse? Data inc. JamesD0079 0 798 03-21-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  OSCAR SD data question MagnoliaSolana 3 702 11-13-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  S9 VPAP ST-A OSCAR Data Question gadgetmaniah 34 2,392 09-19-2021, 11:50 AM
Last Post: gadgetmaniah

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.