Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Data bites me again
Data bites me again
I wish I could figure out what's going on. After losing some data and being confused with the messages coming from cpap machine and from PC. I started with a new fresh SD card and have been religious about locking/unlocking AND ejecting it in Windows before removing.

Life was good I was able to look at my data in either SH or rescan. No goofy messages when I put the card back into my Autoset. Until today. Now it gives me that stupid message about erasing and rewriting the card. If you tell it no, you can't go in and start the machine. I was under the impression that as long as the card was locked, nothing could be written to the card by the PC.

I am convinced that it has something to do with me looking back and forth between SH and Rescan. I was careful to close each program properly before opening in the other. I am still trying to figure out which program I want to use full time, but it seems that once you get that error message, it persists from then on.

It's not critical, I have everything backed up but I wish I had a better understanding as to what's going on. OK, that's my rant for the day. Now it's time to go pick up dog poop.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Data bites me again
(12-14-2013, 03:24 PM)drgrimes Wrote: I am convinced that it has something to do with me looking back and forth between SH and Rescan. I was careful to close each program properly before opening in the other. I am still trying to figure out which program I want to use full time, but it seems that once you get that error message, it persists from then on.
Maybe Murphy got something to do with it, anything that can go wrong will go wrong. Not sure if not connected to the internet at the same time while downloading may help or not

Recently, I started using SleepyHead and like it much better and have more graphs like tidal volume which Resscan suppress for the Autoset

Post Reply Post Reply
Grimes, I go back and forth between the two all the time and never have problems.

Do you have an external reader that you got or one that came with your computer? Get another (or first) external reader and use that for a few days. See if it happens again. It could be, and this is a stretch, the reader itself is possessed by demons and leaving sacrificial marks on the card somehow damaging the data.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Drmick3, I split your post (and the responses) into a thread of its own so you can get the attention you deserve.

You can find it here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...sScan-data
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Paula, I have built in SD on my laptop, but I also have several USB readers, so I might try one of them. I thought everything was going great. Had a few days of no erasing SD card, but then it happened. I'm not worried about data, just trying to solve the mystery. I've been super careful with handling the card properly. I assumed that with the card locked, nothing extra could be written on it. Oh well, as they say, sh*t happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
drgrimes,

Another possible work around you could try is this:

Sleepy Head can import the data from any folder on your machine. In other words, you can copy the contents of the SD card to a folder on your machine's harddrive and SH can import the data from that folder instead of the SD card itself. That would allow the SD card to only be "touched" by ResScan and the Windows operating system, which would allow you to test your theory that the problem is being caused by switching back and forth between SH and ResScan.

Finally another odd-ball, hopefully unlikely possible cause of your problem. Way back when I was using a Resmed S9 and ResScan (in the pre-Sleepy Head days), my SD card developed the problem that every time I used the old desktop that hubby had set up for ResScan, the S9 balked and insisted that the card be erased because of some kind of "invalid card" error. But if I merely copied the data to a folder on my Macintosh and popped the card back into the S9, the S9 didn't squawk at all about the card. At some point either I or hubby decided it was time for a virus scan on the desktop that had ResScan install on it. And low and behold, the desktop had indeed picked up some kind of a virus from the internet. Eliminating the virus from the computer fixed the problem with the S9 insisting on erasing the card after every time I downloaded the data into ResScan on that computer. So if it's been a while since you've run a full scan of everything on the computer you have ResScan installed on, it's worth doing that just to make sure you're not running into the problem I had back in Fall 2010.
Post Reply Post Reply
Consider the possibility that the machine is writing a file to the SD card, which is in turn being misunderstood by that very same machine when the card is removed and inserted. You might want to investigate a firmware update, although I don't know if that's even possible.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am doing a full virus scan as I type.
Robysue, I like your idea of copying the SD card to a folder and opening SH from there. I will definitely do that. I only play with SH occasionally to see how it's different.

Sleepster, I looked and do not see a way of updating the firmware on my SD card reader, but I did go into device manager and asked it to update the drivers and it did find a newer driver.

I am assuming that when the card is locked, it cannot be written upon. I hope that's true. So, I am wondering if might be something that is caused by the Autoset. Is everyone unplugging the machine while doing this? I think I will experiment with a new non-cpap card
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an auto set and I use both software daily. It is easier to look at the leaks in ResScan than in SH but for the most part, I use SH. As I posted, I use both daily for different reasons. I don't unplug my machine first. I do lock the card when downloading the data and unlock it before putting it back in the machine. I don't have enough knowledge to figure out what it causing your issues. Hopefully other members will be able to help you out.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks ME50. This time I did not lose any data, it's just an annoying message. Since I've used Rescan so much I will probably stick with it and use Robysue's suggestion to copy SD card and import into Sleepyhead when the need arises.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Doctor says perfect data, but extremely tired - OSCAR Data Auzzyrocks 13 2,651 12-04-2022, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Lucid
Question [Pressure] Doctor can't see detailed data - Can my OSCAR data save me from another sleep study? KidCharlamagne 5 896 09-28-2022, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [CPAP] Data showing clear airway apneas: central apnea or soft palate collapse? Data inc. JamesD0079 0 800 03-21-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Dreamstation CPAP vs Aircurve BiPap data? Data over time for Insp/Exp? Desiree 12 2,281 05-20-2020, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  IF I insert an SD card to get data for Sleepyhead will my ResMed still send data theMezz 3 2,072 04-20-2018, 07:52 PM
Last Post: theMezz
  And another one bites the dust, leak solution that is... FrankNichols 5 1,834 05-09-2016, 11:55 AM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Data viewer for 960 BiPAP AutoSV / Missing data pswartz 5 4,059 10-06-2014, 02:31 PM
Last Post: pswartz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.