Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Data bites me again
RE: Data bites me again
It's funny you posted this today.. I'm having exactly the same problem. Now I'm worried about the loss of data. I need a report from my physician every year in order for me to keep my pilots license, and in turn my job. I have noticed that the s9 cannot cope with resets of the darecandctone without producing an error too. For some odd reason the latest version if Rescan is unable to export my data without giving me some computer error. I was hoping to export all the data then reimport it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Rayks, in Rescan, I copy my entire profile into a folder on the desktop. It's tricky to find. Here is the path:
c:\users\public\documents\Resmed\Rescan3\Patients
NOTE the path had an error in it, I removed the "yourname" part. It stores it in the public directory for some strange reason.

at this point you should see whatever name you used when installing Rescan. I suggest that you right click on that folder and create a shortcut on your desktop. I can send you a screenshot of how to do it but I have exceeded my upload quota. I will send you a PM.

SECOND NOTE: you can also copy the contents of your SD card into another backup directory if you wish.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an AutoSet S9 and I look at my data daily. The way I handle the data issue is I have a thumb drive and a spare SD Card and transfer the data from the ResMed SD Card to them and never use the ResMed SD Card for anything else. I power down the S9 and then remove the S9 data card. I write lock the data card and place it in the SD Card to USB adapter and then plug it into the desktop computer. I copy the data, starting with the 4 files in the root/top directory, of the ResMed data card to a directory in MyDocuments called ResMedSDCard. I then copy all of the data in SETTINGS into a directory under ResMedSDCard called SETTINGS, replacing the previous days info as this data changes daily. I then copy the last/latest eight files in the DATALOG directory into a sub-directory under ResMedSDCard called DATALOG adding to the growing list of files. This allows you to preserve the high resolution data on the desktop computer, the S9 will overwrite it after 7 days from what I've read. After I've ejected/dismounted the ResMed SD Card from the desktop I un-write protect it and place it back into the S9 and power it on.

From what I've read (and have see in real life) it's really important to power down the S9 completely before you remove the data card otherwise you can get data corruption. The S9 uses crc checksum to verify the data is good on the card and if the data file is changed in any way or the checksum files is changed in any way, the checksum will not match and the unit will give an error. When using ResScan I always use the thumb drive as the data source and when using SleepyHead I always use the MyDocuments ResMedSDCard directory as the source. I also use the MyDocuments ResMedSDCard directory for the source with EDFBrowser.

As for the data error problems I would make sure the S9 is completely powered down, it takes a few seconds with my unit, before removing the card. I usually hit the info button to get the LCD display to turn on and then press and hold the power button until the machine shuts down. I then wait for the light in the humidifier to go completely out. This usually takes 3 to 5 seconds after the LCD goes blank while holding down the power button. I would also make sure the write protect tab if fully in the write protect position before putting it into the reader and fully in the write enabled position before I put it back in the machine. I have had SD Cards in the past that the write protect slider does not work as smoothly as I would like. I have noticed on several occasions when ejecting the SD Card from the desktop there is a lot of activity on the light on the SD Card to USB adapter before it actually ejects even when it's write protected. I think Windows really wants to write stuff to the card when ever it is inserted or removed in a system, usually in the form of index files to allow faster access in the future. It seems that ResScan doesn't really care what is on the card it reads from, I have the ResScan Reports, the SleepyHead reports and the program (ResScan, SleepyHead and EDFBrowser) in separate directories on the thumb drive. The S9 on the other hand is pretty picky about the data card.

One last thing is you should never remove a data card from a machine (computer or PAP) that is powered up unless you have performed the unmount or eject function first. If you just remove the SD Card, you run the real risk of the card becoming corrupted as the system is writing data or updating storage info on the card.
Post Reply Post Reply
Elliot thanks for your through procedures for data handling. I was not powering down the S9 as you described. I think there are others that are probably doing the same thing. It does makes sense, I have been thinking that my issue was probably something to do with the S9 because the card is locked all the other time.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've noticed a cheap memory card reader can be the problem. I never previously had any problems with my reader / card, but recently upgraded my computer, so I got a cheap USB one from a local shop.

It appears to have read the cards fine, but I think it must be adding something somewhere along the line, as when I put it back in my S9 autoset, it produces an error and I have to reformat my card (and lose data in the process)

Yesterday I put the card from my camera in the cheap reader, it somehow managed to rename all my files and merge them in to one big file.. I still have no idea how to retrieve my pictures.

So in summing up, go buy a good quality card reader, - a cheap made in china one may corrupt your data
Post Reply Post Reply
Rayks if you lock your SD card before you put it in the card reader, nothing can be written to the card.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like there is some kind of software that was downloaded and installed on your computer when you first used either that cheap card reader or the SD card itself. Usually with a bit of googling you can figure out how to bypass that software and let the operating system handle the reading and writing of data to and from your SD card.

I have to do the same thing every time I buy a new USB flash drive. I don't want the "help" from some proprietary software when I'm using storage devices. I know enough about the OS to have it do all reading and writing.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2013, 04:00 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Sounds like there is some kind of software that was downloaded and installed on your computer when you first used either that cheap card reader or the SD card itself. Usually with a bit of googling you can figure out how to bypass that software and let the operating system handle the reading and writing of data to and from your SD card.

I have to do the same thing every time I buy a new USB flash drive. I don't want the "help" from some proprietary software when I'm using storage devices. I know enough about the OS to have it do all reading and writing.

Sleepster, can I buy a new SD card and stick it in my ResMed Auto Set and wil the machine format and load all the data in it to the card so I can mail one of the to my DME which is what they want. Go figure
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2013, 04:33 PM)drmick3 Wrote: Sleepster, can I buy a new SD card and stick it in my ResMed Auto Set and wil the machine format and load all the data in it to the card so I can mail one of the to my DME which is what they want. Go figure
Yes but minus the detailed data, detailed data written directly on the card
Detailed data is of no interest to them, just compliance data for insurance purposes
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2013, 05:09 PM)zonk Wrote:
(12-21-2013, 04:33 PM)drmick3 Wrote: Sleepster, can I buy a new SD card and stick it in my ResMed Auto Set and wil the machine format and load all the data in it to the card so I can mail one of the to my DME which is what they want. Go figure
Yes but minus the detailed data, detailed data written directly on the card
Detailed data is of no interest to them, just compliance data for insurance purposes

Actually, the respiratory therapist will analyze the detailed data for treatment purposes and forward it to my doc who informed me that would be the process even before I saw the therapist and got my Auto Set.

I know from reading the "[split] Backing up ResScan data" thread on this Forum that the Auto Set will check to see if any other device has written to the original card, and tell you to reformat the card, thus losing all your data.

Is that what you're referring to since my first impression was that the error message was referring to the card that already had data on it, not a brand new card; otherwise, the machine would be worthless after a year is up and I own the machine!Annoyed-and-disappointed

Another thought, I only have 2 days of detailed data since I just got the Auto Set; so, I don't have 7 days of detail data that will automatically be lost as the machine is built to do. Would that make a difference in that I could get two days of detail on a new SD card, plus all other data, the same as would be on the original card?
Help

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Doctor says perfect data, but extremely tired - OSCAR Data Auzzyrocks 13 2,651 12-04-2022, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Lucid
Question [Pressure] Doctor can't see detailed data - Can my OSCAR data save me from another sleep study? KidCharlamagne 5 896 09-28-2022, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [CPAP] Data showing clear airway apneas: central apnea or soft palate collapse? Data inc. JamesD0079 0 800 03-21-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Dreamstation CPAP vs Aircurve BiPap data? Data over time for Insp/Exp? Desiree 12 2,283 05-20-2020, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  IF I insert an SD card to get data for Sleepyhead will my ResMed still send data theMezz 3 2,072 04-20-2018, 07:52 PM
Last Post: theMezz
  And another one bites the dust, leak solution that is... FrankNichols 5 1,834 05-09-2016, 11:55 AM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Data viewer for 960 BiPAP AutoSV / Missing data pswartz 5 4,059 10-06-2014, 02:31 PM
Last Post: pswartz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.