Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Data corrupted, OSCAR 1.2.0 wouldn't boot
Ohmy 
Data corrupted, OSCAR 1.2.0 wouldn't boot
Good afternoon.

As preface, I will admit to basic computer knowledge.  I'm fairly certain that I blew my data to smithereens this morning.  In your opinions, would the old data (8 years'worth, if recoverable) do me much good, as my sleep doctor doesn't bother with it?  I have a current printed-out Overview covering the 8 years with AHI, Usage, Session times, and Pressure graphs. I don't delve into more detail usually.  A crime to waste so much good programming.  

In other words, should I start fresh with tonight's data?  That's fine by me.  

If you think having a reconstructed history is necessary, ought I try to recover data from old Sleepyhead files and the SD card (write-protected at the time of the incident) that I used on OSCAR's 1.1.1 installation.  Would I have to reinstall 1.1.1?  Or just attempt to install OSCAR 1.2.0 with the remains of the SD card?  

My current Dreamstation will turn into an entirely unwarranteed machine come mid-September.  I have extirpated the dastardly foam, and the APAP's not appreciably noisier.  I've registered for Philips' "recall".  I do not want to "upgrade" to the Darth Vader edition.

Will a fresh installation of OSCAR 1.2.0 even work? I think the newest version overlaid the old one.  1.2.0 refused to open once I messed the data up by ignoring a pop-up warning that the data wouldn't work once I went on to OSCAR 1.2.0.   I belatedly uninstalled *all* of the installed OSCAR, I think, after most of the data wouldn't come back and then after the new OSCAR would not work.  I'm assuming that the programs themselves were wiped.  I still see 3 oscar.exe files: OSCAR 1.0.1-r1-Win64, and 1.1.1, and 1.2.0.  There's a SleepyHead.exe in a Documents directory, and Open GL.exes.  I see 4 SleepyheadData subdirectories in a separate Documents directory, as well as 1 OSCAR_data directory, all from 2019.

I'd appreciate your input.

Thank you,
Insomnia
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Data corrupted, OSCAR 1.2.0 wouldn't boot
Let's first determine what happened before going on to what to do now.

I am trying to understand what caused the "data wouldn't work" message. The only thing that comes to mind is that you upgraded to 1.2.0 and then tried to run an earlier version of OSCAR. Is that what happened?

To address your general question of whether old data should be reconstructed, I rarely look at my old data. And keeping lots of data in one profile slows OSCAR down.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for answering.    I'll try to be accurate in the retelling:   I had finished importing the data into OSCAR 1.1.1, and needed a printout of data charts to show that my sleep was getting shorter and more fractured as time went on.  I printed out the graphs from Overview that would fit onto a legal sheet of paper.  There were weeks and months missing; that had happened a couple of years ago, and I don't remember whether I was using Sleepyhead or OSCAR at the time.  

Getting back to last week, I put the SD card back in my PC to bring OSCAR current.  To that point, I had imported data into Sleepyhead, then into OSCAR after I installed it.  I assumed all the files had been merged as I added data.  I remember there were warnings about handling the files "just so", and started write-protecting the SD card as reminded.  OSCAR 1.1.1 worked fine.

Before removing the SD card this time, a large pop-up said that (vague paraphrasing here) it might be a good idea to consolidate all the data from "?"(it looked like a volume label or a machine serial number).  There was also a warning that once the data were "converted"(?) they would no longer be usable in the then-current software, presumably OSCAR 1.1.1. This is what I meant by "data wouldn't work". 

I did not consciously upgrade to OSCAR 1.2.0

Not wanting to slow down, I approved whatever was proposed, and went ahead with it.  Yes.  Blindly.  

An Overview screen came up.  I do not remember restarting OSCAR, but the Overview that I was looking at had lost at least 60% more of the daily data than I had printed out earlier that morning.  

I removed the SD card and kept it write-protected.  I backed out of OSCAR, then tried running it again.  The message I got back is that the data could not be read, and OSCAR could not open.  And wouldn't.

I went to Programs in Control Panel and uninstalled both Sleepyhead and OSCAR from there.   As if cleaning would make anything work again.

The data was from 3 different Philips machines: two System Ones and one Dreamstation.

It seems the only choices I have left are to install OSCAR 1.2.0 and let it find usable data on C:\ , or just give it the latest SD card to munch on.  What would you advise?

Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2021, 02:57 PM)Insomnia Wrote: Before removing the SD card this time, a large pop-up said that (vague paraphrasing here) it might be a good idea to consolidate all the data from "?"(it looked like a volume label or a machine serial number).  There was also a warning that once the data were "converted"(?) they would no longer be usable in the then-current software, presumably OSCAR 1.1.1. This is what I meant by "data wouldn't work".

I know of nothing in OSCAR that would do this, nor does the word "consolidate" occur anywhere in the OSCAR code. So maybe something unrelated to OSCAR is happening??

I recommend you uninstall all versions of OSCAR that you have on your computer so we don't get confused by different versions of OSCAR. Uninstalling just removes the software; it does not touch the data.

Next, see if there is a folder named OSCAR_Data in your Documents folder. If there is, rename the folder to OSCAR_Data_Old. We want to start fresh.

Now, install OSCAR 1.2.0 and run it.

OSCAR will ask you if it is ok to create OSCAR_Data for the database. Tell OSCAR that is ok.

It will then ask you if you want to migrate SleepyHead data. Let's not do that so we can be sure nothing in the migration process is the problem.

Now create a new profile and import your current SD card.

If something weird happens, take a screenshot if you can and post it here so we can see exactly what is happening.
Useful links

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your help.  I tend to have too many tabs open, and may well have had another process running when I lost data last week.

I've installed OSCAR 1.2.0 and copied the data from the SD card.  The only hiccup was that AVG decided OSCAR was the enemy until I overrode AVG's protection.  There is a large amount of data missing, but that's OK.  The two last years are there, as is data from 2013 to 2015.

I was surprised that some of the data categories now show more marked  breathing problems than they did with Sleepyhead or OSCAR 1.1.1.  I think results must have been recalculated after I installed OSCAR 1.2.0 today.   

I pulled out the DreamStation's goopy black foam a week ago and sealed the holes I'd made with PP disks cut to size.  After reassembly, the clinician's menu showed that the DME had not changed the tubing diameter to 15 H when they delivered the machine to me in 2017. I set it to 15 mm diameter.  Surely that setting changes the volume of air in the calculations?  (I've also slept longer by having changed that setting and taping my lips together.)
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2021, 09:02 AM)Insomnia Wrote: I was surprised that some of the data categories now show more marked  breathing problems than they did with Sleepyhead or OSCAR 1.1.1.  I think results must have been recalculated after I installed OSCAR 1.2.0 today.  

If you are referring to flagged events, there should be no change as all versions of OSCAR report what the CPAP machine said.
Useful links

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question OK TO IMPORT SLEEP DATA FROM OLD SD CARD INTO OSCAR W/O MESSING UP CURRENT DATA? Plmnb 1 78 Today, 01:07 AM
Last Post: Ibrumley
  Trouble importing data to Oscar bubbafoxus 2 88 03-22-2024, 05:40 PM
Last Post: bubbafoxus
  OSCAR Profiles and Combining Different Brand CPAP Data StratCat48 2 49 03-22-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Where Oscar put the data file? Rosacer24 0 60 03-22-2024, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Rosacer24
  There's 1.5 years of data in my OSCAR, but now there's a problem Snackers 8 223 03-19-2024, 03:36 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  OSCAR v1.5.2- error code 5, unable to write to data directory sleepynotion 2 107 03-18-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: sleepynotion
  OSCAR data backup strategy matt2 2 98 03-18-2024, 10:32 AM
Last Post: LoudSnorer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.