Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can somebody talk me into a nasal mask?
RE: Can somebody talk me into a nasal mask?
cathyf I use a nasal mask and have trouble wearing a full face mask. My choice is a ResMed N20. There's a fit gauge in the box; I believe you can go to ResMed and print off a fit gauge.

Disadvantages?
* I use a cushion under my chin that i made myself. Periodically I find that I still mouth breath
* Then I use a Knightsbridge Dual Band. It's like a hospital cap with two bands that are velcro attached, so you have to tighten them.

The recommendations on the site now say to either put the cap on first, then the mask headgear, OR put the mask on first, then the Knightsbridge. I gt mask straps doing this.

The N20 mask hose holes discharges straight out; there's a removable that you pinch to remove. The other end fits into the cpap hose.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I started with Resmed P10 pillow mask based on 1st fitting by therapist. She gave me a Medium cushion.
It did not work for me, the intense blast of air was too much. 
Only after reading other posts did I try the Large pillow - what a difference. Now I use it every night.
Lesson: try the largest pillow size that fits your nose. The larger the size the less concentrated the air stream. 

Also, here is a very helpful video I saw the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug-UrG_O...nkyLefty27
Post Reply Post Reply
Bert S my DME has one major failing. When I buy a mask with multiple inserts they send me out with one of them....I almost stopped going to them for this reason.
When I call and request a different size they *generously* give me that one.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
My experience with DMEs has not been positive either. They don't operated like modern efficient businesses do. The ones I have been dealing with are more like a government agencies. Really frustrating.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2021, 06:26 PM)Bert S Wrote: My experience with DMEs has not been positive either. They don't operated like modern efficient businesses do. The ones I have been dealing with are more like a government agencies. Really frustrating.

Bert S I found this DME supplier by asking friends at work who had strap marks who their provider was and whether they were happy with them.

I've stayed with the same store and they know me.

I believe that the mask is the most important piece of equipment we have. If it leaks badly our treatment does us no good.  It has to stay on while I sleep, no matter how much I move around.

Mask fit is critical. All of us have different needs and our faces have different shapes.

I bought my S10 *for her* from them.  They tried to talk me into a different model.  I wanted an apap. However, in Ontario Canada I can't have one. They save money....by insisting on cpap equipment with my type of sleep apnea.  the S10 *for her* is registered as a cpap in Ontario!

It was participants here who provided wonderful recommendations to me and my treatment has improved so much.

Worst DME for me.....Sleep Doc from H*ll was at Credit Valley Hospital.  Had 3000 patients with sleep apnea.  The Hospital owns half of the ProResp store he wrote the prescription for.  I show up----they offer choices.  3 packages. No substitutions.  I bought the most expensive which was a Respironics brick with a hose and nasal mask.  Substitutions? Nope. One mask fits all....and the machine clocked operating hours. That's all.   The whole thing was crooked.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 186 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,223 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 338 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 30 1,951 01-27-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.