Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Data to Sleep Doctor vs OSCAR Data
Data to Sleep Doctor vs OSCAR Data
In 3 weeks I will see my sleep doctor for my 1st follow up appointment after diagnosed with SA & receiving my AS10 Auto Set. 

Will the doctor be able to see the same depth of historical data from the over-the air data stream that my AS10 sends automatically that I am tracking in OSCAR?

Should provide printed copies of my day-by-day OSCAR history to my doctor before my appointment?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Data to Sleep Doctor vs OSCAR Data
I took my SleepyHead history to show my new sleep doc when he reviewed my sleep study. I don't know if it helped.

I was impressed with him. He talked about sleep quality! I have never heard those words from a doc in over 30 years I've been compliant.

If I had taken them to the sleep doc from h*ll he would not have reacted well. I was in his care for a long time. Then I fired him....
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Your doctor has access to a slightly less detailed data than you have, Most likely he will only look at the summary info, is your AHI under 5 or not.

My second doctor I took my laptop opened it to Daily page and showed him the zoom feature then let him browse and he was impressed. He Retired.

My third doctor I was pushing my APAP and not resolving enough OA events so I printed about 20 pages of typical bad nights so I could demonstrate it was not a one night thing, and admitted i did have some good nights. Result was a split study Diagnostic and a BiLevel Titration. That went bad, I officially didn't sleep enough to prove I had apnea , needed 2 hours and I was 1 minute short. The tech gave it to me because at 77AHI he had no doubt about my need. I had to sleep in my car for a couple of hours so I could drive the 40 minutes home and crash. A second study with just a BiPap was scheduled and it was roughas it was a square wave application and it hit me hard at the transition. I told her I could adapt if I needed to but with the VAuto I didn't need to. Return Vist was a formality. VAutos were showing up in a black case vs the Beige case and the question was raised Is this counterfeit? She, on my behalf, inquired to her ResMed Rep and the answer was yes, Manufactured by ResMed as a result of material shortages. It helps to develop a repoir with your doctor.

Bottomline go prepared to argue your needs but don't be surprised if the doctor ignores them.

While there are good doctors out there most don't care to look at detailed data.
Post Reply Post Reply
After submitting Sleepyhead data 3 yrs ago, my sleep Dr stated there was no longer a need to see him unless I needed his assistance..

He was surprised and impressed, asked where he could get the program for some of his other patients..
Post Reply Post Reply
Just looked at your therapy thread. You don't really have any data worth showing him as there is nothing obviously wrong and AHI is good (probably the only thing he would look at/understand). Doctor will just look at your AHI say everything looks great and send you home.

Most doctors don't trust OSCAR (rightfully so since it is not backed by manufacturer or clinical studies so is of unknown origin and accuracy) and don't understand how to interpret it. It is only worthwhile bringing it up if there is something obviously wrong and doctor isn't doing anything about it as a last try before looking for a different doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am committed to giving a one page 30-day summary screenshot (the OSCAR "Overview" page), showing AHI graphs, usage graphs, pressure graphs and Session Times. I figure that at-a-glance alerts the doctor to anything out of the ordinary (am I getting up more in the night, is AHI changing, etc.). I also have printouts of closeups of Daily screens, if there are issues or points I want to make about a particular day.

In any case, my doctor wants me to bring my machine(s) with me so a staff member can pull the cards and get a printout from the ResMed software they use.

- SleepyCPAP
Post Reply Post Reply
Gideon

Great advice.

I find visiting my sleep doc is more stressful than sleep apnea is.

I've only had 3 sleep docs...
The one I have now was the first one who talked about sleep quality. I'm still impressed. However, my sleep treatment is finally successful because I listened to recommendations here.

Dave
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night CPAP + OSCAR data Ostrich 0 23 3 hours ago
Last Post: Ostrich
  I need sleep badly! Any help with OSCAR is appreciated Quitethe1 77 1,769 11 hours ago
Last Post: Quitethe1
  oscar data sleeper2460 0 56 Yesterday, 09:13 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 226 03-27-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 108 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 71 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 406 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.