Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chin straps (sigh)
RE: Chin straps (sigh)
(06-01-2014, 11:37 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(06-01-2014, 07:58 PM)HoseMan Wrote: I've also found that if I use a little vick's vapor rub on the bottom part of the nasal mask It seem's to seal off a little better.

It's recommended that you use something that won't degrade the silicone pillows. Lanolin cream is sold in drug stores, marketed as a salve for nursing mothers, you can find it in the baby aisle. I love the stuff.

I use the vick's so it will open me up more.Haven't had a problem with the cushion degrading.Never hurt's to try something.It may work for me.But,other's it want.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a pleasant surprise this morning. Yesterday I met with my genius sewing-lady friend because I had bought some additional 1 1/2 inch elastic to make a new chin strap (extra tight this time). When I looked at my data in SleepyHead this morning I had my first ever night with zero leaks! Yay!

I should also add that my friend introduced me to a new product that I didn't know existed - diaper pins. I had been hand sewing my custom home-made chin straps because regular safety pins sometimes come apart in the middle of the night. The diaper pins are much more secure. I like them so much that I found a Chinese place on Amazon that offered a pack of 50 for $3.57 with free shipping and bought them.

I should also mention that I found the 1 1/2 inch elastic in a fabric store where it cost me $1 a yard, although my friend told me that $1 a yard is an excellent price. I had previously bought several yards of 3/4 inch elastic for the back straps at $0.75 a yard. I'd like to point out to those who are buying commercial chin straps from a DME or online supplier for $15 to $40 or so that my chin straps cost me less than a buck apiece. They last only a couple months before the elastic loses too much of its stretchiness, but who cares?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-16-2014, 11:26 AM)JJJ Wrote: I had a pleasant surprise this morning. Yesterday I met with my genius sewing-lady friend because I had bought some additional 1 1/2 inch elastic to make a new chin strap (extra tight this time). When I looked at my data in SleepyHead this morning I had my first ever night with zero leaks! Yay!

I should also add that my friend introduced me to a new product that I didn't know existed - diaper pins. I had been hand sewing my custom home-made chin straps because regular safety pins sometimes come apart in the middle of the night. The diaper pins are much more secure. I like them so much that I found a Chinese place on Amazon that offered a pack of 50 for $3.57 with free shipping and bought them.

I should also mention that I found the 1 1/2 inch elastic in a fabric store where it cost me $1 a yard, although my friend told me that $1 a yard is an excellent price. I had previously bought several yards of 3/4 inch elastic for the back straps at $0.75 a yard. I'd like to point out to those who are buying commercial chin straps from a DME or online supplier for $15 to $40 or so that my chin straps cost me less than a buck apiece. They last only a couple months before the elastic loses too much of its stretchiness, but who cares?

Thanks for the tip JJJ,

We're already wandering the baby department isles of the "five & dime" for HPA lanolin, so we'll all be on the lookout for diaper pins too!

I use regular safety pins on my P10 straps and they have been fine. but I'll check out the diaper pins for the chinstrap if not the P10.

I suppose the wider (up to a point) the better on the elastic? I'll check with Mrs. Retired_Guy and see what she has in her sewing room. I'd go look, but that's a place I'm frightened to go......
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 598 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 370 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,113 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 503 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Chin Tucking as cause of apnea ejbpesca 111 6,201 02-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 412 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  P10 straps slipping acordeon 1 303 01-17-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.