Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dates for Replacing parts? A List Perhaps?
Dates for Replacing parts? A List Perhaps?
Hi, on my forays around the forum, I am yet to see a list anywhere showing the average times used for various items.

I am filling in everything on ReScan and realized its probably a good idea of to fill in the reminder tabs and turn them on so one does remember when to do these things.

Life is so busy I certainly don't have time to remember such small details and need to be reminded

For example, how often are air filters, generally speaking of course, replaced?
That leads me to wonder as I did recall seeing a post here I believe whereby someone said they did not change their filters when they were supposed to but washed them. Led me to wonder if that was the norm?

Masks? How often on an average must they be replaced? Forgetting what ones medicare suggests, I am curious on an average.
And does one need to replace the FULL mask or are their just parts of one you can get away with.
For example, I notice my nasal mask is small and flexible and it pops into a triangle piece of hard plastic which essentially holds it in place.
But I imagine that the seal must go on the mask much sooner than the hard plastic.
But I am guessing that the DME of course make more money by just replacing the full mask every few months? How often that might be?

Tubes?
spoke by email to someone that told me he's been using the same heated tube for 2 years and I had offered to send him a new one i had as I figured it must be falling apart at that age?

SD Cards?
I know they can last a long time but does one replace them every 2 years or so...or not?

Water tub? If using Distilled water, does anyone know if there is a generalized period of time before they start to break down?

I would like to just set the reminders so when they come up I know its time to get on the DME's case and get new ones if needed.
I don't want to find myself stuck and having to wait 2 weeks for something to arrive.......

Thx
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dates for Replacing parts? A List Perhaps?
I,m in Australia, land of of plenty but cpap supplies are expensive. I get my supplies from Supplier #10 at least once a year to save on shipping costs. I go through 6 mask cushions, 1 ClimateLine, 1 headgear, 1 chinstrap, 12 filters in a year

I have spare mask frame and water tank and SD card (still using the same SD card came with the machine 4 years ago)

I don,t set any reminders, I write down dates when replaced cushion and filters on a piece of cardboard
Not a fancy system but works nevertheless Coffee

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2014, 04:10 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote: Hi, on my forays around the forum, I am yet to see a list anywhere showing the average times used for various items.

ans: I buy filters online 12 at a time and change once per month whether it needs it or not. Simply inexpensive protection.
Iorder mask cushions about every two months, as that's when they start to cause issues, and have many mask frames and head gear, cleaned and sealed in zip lock bags, for easy replacement from wear.
Hoses for me never seem to break or tear, but rather start to lose their seal at the connectors, so again I have many spares cleaned and sealed in baggies.
I've only replaced one humidifier on my S8, and that was at about the 3 year mark. It was not easy to keep the tub clean. My S9 has the easy clean tub, so I don't expect to have to replace it for many years, unless something breaks.

I would like to just set the reminders so when they come up I know its time to get on the DME's case and get new ones if needed.
I don't want to find myself stuck and having to wait 2 weeks for something to arrive.......

ans: Our house has an electrolytic filtration system which really takes care of dust and air-born particles, so you could call it a very clean atmosphere, but, I still keep the machine itself wiped down and dust free as possible. We have one big dog, but have not noticed that being a problem with the filters. If you have a cat or two, then unless they are hairless, you may have to change filters more frequently.
Most DME's can put you on their automated call list to remind you it's time to order supplies, and some will even send you supplies at specific intervals. It's always a good idea to have a few spare filters at hand, maybe a hose and mask. If you keep a spare mask, then keep them sealed and in a cool place so the cushion does not warp, or it's useless.

Thx

You are very welcome.
I-love-CPAP Rycharde
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ShelaghDB

I replace the air-filter at the start of every month. The DME (Lungen Liga here in Switzerland) gives me 12 filters per year as stock.
The mask I replace every 2 to 3 months completely, as the DME only supplies the full mask assemblies, and not just the cushions that wear out during that time frame. I could ask for a new mask every month, but that seems a bit like overkill.

The heated tube gets replaced once a year, as the DME supplies me with a new during my yearly check up. In the past I once had the tube destroyed by my cat, so that was replaced immediately. (Free of charge)

SD card would only need replacement if defective.

I have the water-tub which can be taken apart for cleaning, so as long as nothing breaks, I will not need to get it replaced. The DME, did offer me a new one after my first yearly checkup, but I declined, as the current one did not exhibit any signs of wear
and tear.

The DME supplies me with all the replacements free of charge, as they are included in the rental & service fee, which the Lungen Liga charges, and my health-insurance pays for.

;-> gjw
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you try "cpap and bipap equipment replacement schedule" google it , My dme gave me a medicare replacement guideline which looks to be the same. hope that helps
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2014, 05:00 PM)zonk Wrote: I,m in Australia, land of of plenty but cpap supplies are expensive. I get my supplies from Supplier #10 at least once a year to save on shipping costs. I go through 6 mask cushions, 1 ClimateLine, 1 headgear, 1 chinstrap, 12 filters in a year

I have spare mask frame and water tank and SD card (still using the same SD card came with the machine 4 years ago)

I don,t set any reminders, I write down dates when replaced cushion and filters on a piece of cardboard
Not a fancy system but works nevertheless Coffee

Zonk, just wondering if you received my pm re: supplier information?

Gabby.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Replacement of stuff is rather individual depending on the use and abuse. Some folks can squeeze quite a long time out of their gear and others can't seem to make anything last.

Some masks and mask types last longer than others. Depends on what they are made of and how well they hold up to cleaning. The replacement schedule is not up to the DME to decide but your insurance. Most follow Medicare guidelines. I get an entire new mask every 3 months. I should be getting pillows every month but never have. I just keep 'em clean. The Nuance may not last that long, though so that will have to change.

Tubes. I'm more twitchy about the tube than anything else. I get a new one every 3 months. I put the new one on (after washing it to get the new smell off) and put the old one aside for backup. The previous old one gets tossed or I keep it, depending on my hoarding mood that day.

SD cards should last a while. I've had mine for over a year and it has really surprised me. I tend to fry computer memory cards (disks, CDs, etc). The problem though is 2gb cards are getting hard to find. I am going to buy a few to keep around, just in case.

Tubs. I don't use distilled water. I get a new tub every 6 months. That's about the life of one for me. Some I can go longer, depending on which one it was. The non-diswasher-able one seems to hold onto the minerals more and is harder to clean.

Filters. I have a dusty house with 3 dogs and a cat. I could probably change my filter every two weeks. Filters are really cheap. I got a bunch of them online and keep on hand. When I travel, I change them more often, especially if going from one hotel or home to another. Hotels stink! I can't stand perfumy smells and changing the filter helps get rid of that.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I will type out what is stated the page my machine supplier gave me. I figure this is, at best, a guideline. I am sure it is configured to maximize their profits while working w/in insurance company rules. It is a place to start though.

Masks - Every 3-6 months
Nasal Pillows - Every 3-6 months
Headgear - Every 6 months
Hoses - Every 6 months
White Filter (disposable) - Every 1-3 months
Post Reply Post Reply
I am new so only just starting to replace things but my feeling is you replace things when they don't work effectively anymore, not at some preset date.

That said, I order new pillows, hose, and mask at the 4 month mark because that was when the insurance would allow it.

I wanted to have a backup for each of these -- now that I have (at least) two of each, the next order will go out when the main one begins to lose effectiveness.

And the SDCard? When it stops working -- if ever. I always have a couple around which can temporarily take it's place and it's unlikely to fail for a LONG time.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2014, 06:10 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: SD cards should last a while. I've had mine for over a year and it has really surprised me. I tend to fry computer memory cards (disks, CDs, etc). The problem though is 2gb cards are getting hard to find. I am going to buy a few to keep around, just in case.

I tried to put a 8GB card in my S9 Elite but it didn't recognize the card.
Is there a way to format a new and bigger card to work on my S9?

Thanks
Thinking-aboutCoffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 328 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  OSCAR Compat List Brewskie 2 245 01-10-2024, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Brewskie
Wink Replacing filter fiber in N30i and P30i QuietAir vents - possible! PurpleOx 2 3,179 08-16-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Konomoose
  Internal cpap repair parts mzipp 8 5,581 08-10-2023, 05:29 PM
Last Post: sms832
  ResMed P10 parts: What else do I need to make the P10 useable? UncollapseMeThroat 4 572 01-22-2023, 03:00 PM
Last Post: UncollapseMeThroat
  Replacing AirSense reservoir seal/ gaskets- anyone? S.L. Ping Beauty 5 1,278 01-21-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: S.L. Ping Beauty
  [Equipment] ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset Parts monksy 3 938 01-11-2023, 01:31 AM
Last Post: monksy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.