Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dealing with Flu and CPAP
Gross 
Dealing with Flu and CPAP
First time I get the flu while using my cpap, I tried it out and the sensation of air in my troath makes me cough like crazy, im using a full face mask because nose is too blocked.

Am I to try to sleep without the machine just sitting up and on a side to minimize oa events?

thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dealing with Flu and CPAP
good question, I have not had a cold yet, so I will be watching what you discover.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2016, 12:39 PM)PoolQ Wrote: good question, I have not had a cold yet, so I will be watching what you discover.

Im out of options apparently there will be some days I wont be able to use my machine, just have to minimize the apneas by trying all the tricks in the book, but im not getting much sleep either, flu keeping me up
Post Reply Post Reply
Ive had a couple colds, but never gave a thought to going without CPAP.
I've also found that even with a stuffed up nose, I can use my nasal pillow mask. It actually helps
unclog the stuffiness.

Trying to sleep without CPAP will probably make you feel worse, but if your determined to do so, sleeping on your side is best, but won't elimate apneas from occurring.

Feel better soon! Cold
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gulps deeply! I hadn't thought about colds! Hum, watching this post for more advice ... I also have COPD so colds become exacerbations before you know it, add on the OSA and I think life will be a bundle of laughs (not).
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2016, 01:04 PM)y_not Wrote: Gulps deeply! I hadn't thought about colds! Hum, watching this post for more advice ... I also have COPD so colds become exacerbations before you know it, add on the OSA and I think life will be a bundle of laughs (not).

I'm sure there will be tons of advice coming. It seems most of us suffer with colds, congestion, allergies, etc. In your case, with COPD, you have to be a little more careful to avoid colds and such, if that's possible!

In my case, the more I try to avoid, the more they find me. Too-funny
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Turn the humidifier up as high as you can and/or put a humidifier in the room.

Are you taking a cough syrup right before bed? If so, stop. Try a lozenge for a few minutes instead, one that numbs the throat.

Even if your nose is clogged, try using your usual mask instead of the FFM. When I exclusively use nasal pillows mask, I had no problem with colds, allergies, or whatever. The pressure and the humidity helped me to sleep as well as recover. It was especially helpful for my bout with bronchitis and the horrible time I had bronchitis/pneumonia. But with the FFM, I found that my nose stayed clogged and I did not sleep as well. If I catch a cold this winter, I'll switch to the pillows again and my bet is I sleep much better.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I went through flu and bronchitis over the holidays. It was terrible. I could not use the Amara view and had to use the Simplus FFM instead. My obstructive and central apneas were much higher than usual. A lot of snoring was also registered but that may have been due to coughing spasms. The heated hose and high humidification helped. I always sleep on one side or the other anyway so no change there.

It is just something we all have to tolerate at one time or another. I feel that the APAP machine did help. The filtered, moist air is better than trying to sleep without using the machine.

Jeff
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am sneezing so hard my mask will not work, ive slept the last two days without it, i "think" today i can try again to start wearing it.

I think if youre like me that nothing you take stops the coughing and sneezing youre out of luck, mask comes off.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just experienced this the last couple of nights. My nose got to the stage where it required so much force to breathe in and out of my nasal mask that I woke up feeling like I was choking. Simple solution is a nasal spray which I have taken just now before I typed this. Can't see why it won't work
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP since March 22, still dealing with aerophagia, wakings, and heart rate problems manacles 16 2,565 10-01-2023, 11:16 PM
Last Post: manacles
  Any advice for dealing with my flow limits? rafaelgoesmann 9 1,361 04-30-2023, 06:58 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  dealing with an error message YosefT 3 1,102 02-03-2021, 09:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Please help with dealing with central apnoeas due to CPAP chen30 38 3,342 11-30-2020, 02:48 PM
Last Post: chen30
  Question about dealing with DMEs 17WRX 10 1,522 10-25-2019, 05:37 PM
Last Post: Bubba45
  Dealing with Lincare E.W. 7 2,820 01-22-2017, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dealing with a dishonest Healthcare provider kfujioka 39 12,575 06-11-2015, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Adoniscmj

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.