Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dealing with Nasal Irritation
Dealing with Nasal Irritation
Do you experience any irritation with the nose pillows at first?

If so, what remedy (remedies) have you discovered to alleviate the discomfort?

Lamb
To all, to each, a fair good-night,
And pleasing dreams, and slumbers light.
       Scott—Marmion. L’Envoy. To the Reader.

Diagnosed with OSA in 2014
AHI=18
Lowest SpO2: 79%
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Outstanding DME!
I have from time to time been irritated by the nasal pillows on the P10.

The recommendation on the board overall is HPA Lanolin. I have successfully used it as well as Colloidal oatmeal, cocoa butter cream, and some other skin care products. Most will say it is important to stay away from placing any of the petroleum based products INSIDE your nostrils, and that is why they use all the other items rather than say Vaseline and the like. However if you use the others topically and refrain from putting it inside the nostrils many other products also work well.

I should add that overall after the initial irritation it goes away and is only sporadic.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
I could easily be mis-remembering this but it seems to me that I remember that petroleum based products were potentially damaging to the plastic the pillows are made from. That seemed plausible to me.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sorry to say that I can tell from experience that the P10 nasal pillow frame is made from a low temp plastic. You can't use heat (like boiling water) to sterilize them. You will have 2 silicone nasal pillows mounted on a blob!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm using Ayr gel to help with nasal irritation. I needed it once and couldn't find the lanosil stuff but the pharmacist suggested I try the Ayr instead. It is just a saline gel. I used it that night, did wonders.

Oh, and a month or so later, I needed it again in the middle of the night. I forgot what kind of container it came in and thought I had the right one 'cause it said 'Ayr' on it. I put some on a finger and rubbed it up my sore nostril. About three seconds later, I was screaming. It was a menthol something to use for colds. You were to put it UNDER the nose, not in it. I used the nasal rinse to wash it all out. Lessons learned? One, make sure your significant other keeps their crap on their shelf in the bathroom and not your shelf. And two, take your glasses with you wherever you go.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-03-2014, 04:49 PM)PaytonA Wrote: I could easily be mis-remembering this but it seems to me that I remember that petroleum based products were potentially damaging to the plastic the pillows are made from. That seemed plausible to me.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

I can't say what they actually say, but I have used Vaseline on them with no harm in the past. Though I agree it may not be the recommended thing to do.

(12-03-2014, 07:29 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I'm using Ayr gel to help with nasal irritation. I needed it once and couldn't find the lanosil stuff but the pharmacist suggested I try the Ayr instead. It is just a saline gel. I used it that night, did wonders.

Oh, and a month or so later, I needed it again in the middle of the night. I forgot what kind of container it came in and thought I had the right one 'cause it said 'Ayr' on it. I put some on a finger and rubbed it up my sore nostril. About three seconds later, I was screaming. It was a menthol something to use for colds. You were to put it UNDER the nose, not in it. I used the nasal rinse to wash it all out. Lessons learned? One, make sure your significant other keeps their crap on their shelf in the bathroom and not your shelf. And two, take your glasses with you wherever you go.

Oh P02 you made my night and made me laugh, thanks! I needed that.

Post Reply Post Reply
Paula, thank you for sharing your experience with(out) Ayr. I appreciate not having to learn first hand on this one.

I keep looking for the like button....
To all, to each, a fair good-night,
And pleasing dreams, and slumbers light.
       Scott—Marmion. L’Envoy. To the Reader.

Diagnosed with OSA in 2014
AHI=18
Lowest SpO2: 79%
Post Reply Post Reply
[split] [split] Colds and Nasal Pillows2
I actually find my nasal pillow mask helps me breathe better when I have a cold. I had originally thought it would be a major issue, but it actually isn't (for me).
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-03-2014, 11:53 PM)Lambsydoats Wrote: I keep looking for the like button....

I think you just hit it.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-03-2014, 11:53 PM)Lambsydoats Wrote: Paula, thank you for sharing your experience with(out) Ayr. I appreciate not having to learn first hand on this one.

I keep looking for the like button....

I personally have asked, requested, demanded, begged, and pleaded for a like button instead all we have is this crappy thing;

[Image: like.jpg]

It's not as bad as I made it sound but it's no like button Tongue
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 865 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 463 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg
  Nose/Nosering Irritation Braven05 8 624 12-18-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  My suggestion for help with nasal pillow irritation rebean 3 662 12-06-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Nose irritation with nasal pillows (p10) Jobaaayyy 10 987 10-24-2023, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Jobaaayyy
  CPAP since March 22, still dealing with aerophagia, wakings, and heart rate problems manacles 16 2,565 10-01-2023, 11:16 PM
Last Post: manacles

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.