Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dealing with Supplier # 1 and their insane return policy
RE: Dealing with Supplier # 1 and their insane return policy
Great point. I would have considered a few weeks ago but now I know I'm just going to get frustrated all over again. I'm at peace with the situation.
(By the way, I did call the manufacturer and he advised I send it back to the retailer, who insists I pay shipping while they decide if my claim is true. Good luck to all of you, I say!)

I bought a "multi night" battery. I have a one and a quarter night battery with plans to not shop online with Supplier #1 or buy anything from Transcend.

I will say, as a retailer, you have much more clout with the manufacturer than a single customer.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dealing with [url=http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-CPAP-Supplier-List?pid=31#pid31]Supplier #1[/url] and their insane return policy
I had a similar experience with the same supplier. Got the really good deal with buying the multi-night battery packaged with the transcend 2, and was actually getting two 8 hour nights for a while. It just seems to me that all battery claims are inflated. I'm considering buying one of the Goal Zero batteries with a wall type outlet and use it to top up the battery to finish the second night. If I'm spending $300+ on a battery, it would be nice to have more functionality than just my cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dealing with [url=http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-CPAP-Supplier-List?pid=31#pid31]Supplier #1[/url] and their insane return policy
What we really need is for someone to come up with alternative way to heat the humidifier water. That would greatly extend the the lifetime of the battery. Maybe a fuel cell, which would of course require hydrogen gas as a fuel. Or maybe a propane-powered water heater. Solar cells are currently the best alternative to the grid when it comes to heating humidifier water.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2014, 01:40 PM)Sleepster Wrote: What we really need is for someone to come up with alternative way to heat the humidifier water. That would greatly extend the the lifetime of the battery. Maybe a fuel cell, which would of course require hydrogen gas as a fuel. Or maybe a propane-powered water heater.

An open flame when you're using the PAP in a tent?

I think not.

Quote: Solar cells are currently the best alternative to the grid when it comes to heating humidifier water.
Probably this is true. But better batteries and more accurate battery advertising is needed.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2014, 01:40 PM)Sleepster Wrote: What we really need is for someone to come up with alternative way to heat the humidifier water. That would greatly extend the the lifetime of the battery. Maybe a fuel cell, which would of course require hydrogen gas as a fuel. Or maybe a propane-powered water heater. Solar cells are currently the best alternative to the grid when it comes to heating humidifier water.

I'm not sure I'm all that interested in sleeping next to a hydrogen fuel cell or even a propane tank.

I've seen the solar powered cell phone chargers. Eventually the technology will catch up where we can recharge a battery with enough life to run PAP + humidifier in this way.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2014, 01:26 PM)sjssf Wrote: I bought a "multi night" battery. I have a one and a quarter night battery with plans to not shop online with Supplier #1 or buy anything from Transcend.

Regardless of the claims, it's not possible to violate the laws of physics.

The maximum power required by a CPAP machine is stamped on the power supply.

Mine, for example, uses 60 watts, maximum. I measured it and it's closer to 50, depending on pressure and humidity settings, but that's a nice round number. My old machine used quite a bit more.

50 watts @ 12 volts = 4.2 Amps (approx).

4.2 Amps for 8 hours is 33.6 Amp-Hours, which requires a battery the same size as is generally used in golf-carts and which is much bigger than anything you'll find in a portable battery pack (or at least anything you would want to carry around).

The newer lithium-ion batteries have a higher power-to-weight ratio, but there's still no free lunch, and a little battery back is not going to run a CPAP machine and humidifier for a whole night.

When camping, I actually use a deep-cycle 100 amp-hour marine battery which I leave in the car, and run an extension cord to the tent.

Given the current state of battery technology, there is nothing I'm aware of that you would be happy to carry around, that would give you an entire night of usage with a humidifier and a medium or high pressure setting.

Now it is possible to run a CPAP with no humidifier on a relatively small battery, but at least for me, this isn't helpful, since I need the humidifier.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2014, 09:46 AM)tcarmen Wrote: Mine, for example, uses 60 watts, maximum. I measured it and it's closer to 50, depending on pressure and humidity settings, but that's a nice round number. My old machine used quite a bit more.

Those watt meters are not expensive and can easily be used to measure this. They can also calculate the total energy used over an extended period of time, which is important because the humidifier heater will cycle on and off. You'll get a different wattage reading when this happens.

If you turn the humidifier off it'll greatly extend the life of the battery, in which case those low-weight lithium batteries will get you through the night, or maybe two nights.

The phrase "maybe two nights" is enough for advertisers to legally claim that it's a multi-night battery.

I saw another example of this type of lying on TV yesterday. One of the local energy providers advertises that they provide free electricity all night, every night. Does anyone actually believe that you can pay someone else to provide electricity during the day, and then use this company at night to provide free electricity?

Believing the multi-night claim is the same sort of thing. Regulated lying.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dealing with Supplier # 1 and their insane return policy
(06-04-2014, 01:15 PM)StarkismyDog Wrote: and was actually getting two 8 hour nights for a while. It just seems to me that all battery claims are inflated.

Pretty much all battery claims are inflated.

Also, long-term battery capacity is determined by charge and discharge rates. It's entirely possible to have a battery that can meet advertising claims a few times, then never again, since the discharge rate exceeds the manufacturer's recommendations, and actually damages the battery.

This as common in consumer-level goods although I have no way to know if it's true in this particular case.

There's some good info in the wiki: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...tery_power

Disclaimer: The part at the bottom about a DIY solution is mine. It happily ran my old power-hungry CPAP and a box fan all night, for a long weekend. 8-)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry Former CPAP supplier over charging Bwanajohn51 2 169 03-16-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  [Admin Note] Policy clarification [off-site advice & advice given via Private Message system] SuperSleeper 2 2,788 02-06-2024, 09:00 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  GRRR. DME supplier shipped ClimateLineAir Heated Tubing in a BAG DaveInDenver 4 546 11-12-2023, 10:32 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  CPAP since March 22, still dealing with aerophagia, wakings, and heart rate problems manacles 16 2,566 10-01-2023, 11:16 PM
Last Post: manacles
  Medicare cpap 5 year replacement policy Sonno 4 575 09-11-2023, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Sonno
  Any advice for dealing with my flow limits? rafaelgoesmann 9 1,363 04-30-2023, 06:58 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Can central sleep apnea go away for a period of time and then return? joseph421 9 965 03-29-2023, 09:33 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.