Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Debugging 3-4 AM Awakening
Debugging 3-4 AM Awakening
Hello All,

I am back here to examine my CPAP data to see if there is indication therapy might be waking me up during 3-4 AM.

In full disclosure, I have had issues waking up at this time for 6-7 years now, been on therapy for just over two. Sometimes I can go back to sleep but in most circumstances the awakening is so strong I am up for good. I have made adjustments to my therapy before, previously switching to a static CPAP pressure with my resmed 10, that helped briefly, so revisiting my therapy again while I explore other avenues seems like a good idea. 

Usually at this time, I've been asleep 5-5.5 hours, as I go to bed at 9 PM typically, it has been purported during this early morning time slot is a very light phase of sleep. While according to my AHI numbers my therapy is going great, my curiosity is leaning towards if just my pressure is slightly too high for this time period or a leak is occurring that may be occurring earlier in the night but since I am in deeper sleep and its not waking me.

I have some oscar data as I put the SD card back in last night but its refusing to graph the detailed data, so I am looking for help on how to debug the data myself for the aforementioned possible issues.

Other hypothesis from searching the web include things like low blood sugar, anxiety and stress, sleep hygiene, nutrition and exercise. I am and have explored these avenues in depth.

I have/am trying include adjusting meal timing and composition before bed, carbohydrate content makes no difference from my whole food meals, I do seem to have better earlier on sleep eating 2-3 hours before bed. I exercise very frequently, lifting, grappling, etc typically in the morning. I limit any caffeine intake to before 9 AM. I've been monitoring my glucose before bed and any time I wake up at the numbers seem to be stable thru the night at 95-103 (whatever unit glucose meters are). I have tried many supplements related to sleep all to which have not provided consistent results; melatonin, magnesium glycinate, glycine, zinc, D3 during the day, Vitamin C, 5 HTP, Ashwaganda, Tart Cherry Extract, etc. Right now I am taking ashwaganda during the day and vitamin C, tart cherry extract, pregenonlone and dhea (as I am on TRT for a year now for low T, TRT treatment has not helped either for sleep). I am anxiety prone but even during times of low stress, no difference was observed. My sleep hyigene routine is about 90% solid I'd say. I wear blue blockers when night falls comes, when I am ready for bed I turn off all lights and read on kindle or play a relaxing game on nintendo switch (stardew valley!) on the dimmest setting possible to wind down or go straight to bed, use mouth tape for CPAP therapy, white noise machine, and ear plugs. As far as I know there are no consistent environmental factors waking me up around this time (neighbors/passing cars, etc). I guess you can say I am at my wits end ha.

Thank you all for reading and your time

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Debugging 3-4 AM Awakening
(12-01-2022, 07:15 AM)sm315 Wrote: I have some oscar data as I put the SD card back in last night but its refusing to graph the detailed data, so I am looking for help on how to debug the data myself for the aforementioned possible issues.

If you had the SD card in your Cpap while sleeping, there should be detailed graphs.

Look at the bottom right side.  There is a drop down box.  Click on that and enable the graphs.  If there are no graphs listed, then go to File > Preferences > Events and Waveforms, then check the graphs you want to show.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I plugged it after waking after I realized I've had it not in the machine for some time, unfortunately. I had previous data from September where I still exhibit the issue but not sure if it not being so recent really helps
Post Reply Post Reply
Post a couple other graphs where you wake at the same time. I'm not sure with a low AHI, that there would be anything to see.

Show a 2 to 3 minute segment of the flow rate graph around the time you wake.

Also, show the FL graph and respiration graph.

It's somewhat strange that you would wake up at the same time, but something is obviously causing it. Could be waking from REM sleep or a dream.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've attached my last detailed data which is from September. On the 24th, I woke up very early at 2:30 AM. On the 23rd, I was luckily enough to sleep til 5 AM almost and get an actual decent nights sleep. Unfortunately, a quick cursory glance I don't see any stark differences other than respiratory rate seems a bit more erratic but I do not know much about that metric, hoping that my eye is still untrained in analyzing some of this data.

Thank you for the help, Opal.

Post Reply Post Reply
Attached last screenshot. As I have my SD card inserted now Ill update the thread with my latest OSCAR data to see it is helpful.

Post Reply Post Reply
You might try buying a cheap security camera with night vision and sound and record yourself sleeping. Then you’ll know for sure that there’s no external cause (or find one, if there is).

You can get a camera that’ll suffice for under $25 on Amazon. Just search “cheap security camera”
Post Reply Post Reply
Awaking at that time of night is quite common. There's a few things to try to do. First, discuss it with your doc if you have not already. There are several good sleep meds that are designed to kick in about then. Second, research "sleep hygiene" and practice what you can. 3rd, google "why do I wake at 3am" and you'll see some articles about it, including one by the Sleep Foundation.

If you were waking up at that time prior to CPAP and it has not changed, then it is (most likely) not sleep apnea related.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Agreed, but I want to explore all avenues for reassurance everything checks out or may need adjustments. Here is last night's data where I woke up early again (I woke up at 3:15 but tried keeping the mask on and laying there to fall back asleep til 4, could not). I am not sure what the respiratory rate metric correlates to, but I notice some huge spikes between 2:10-3:10
Post Reply Post Reply

Here are some screenshots zoomed in around the time right where I woke up, seems like an event occurred that may have caused me to wake up. Also, looks like an unflagged event at 2:55. Looking, at the totality of the graph thru out the night there seems to be quite a few unflagged events
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Symptoms] Aircurve 10 ASV - spO2 Desat during REM, leading to awakening? d95p 5 761 08-10-2022, 06:55 PM
Last Post: d95p
  more on my early morning awakening eekamouse 0 563 09-10-2021, 03:18 PM
Last Post: eekamouse
  How to "mark" Oscar for events like awakening? plakky 7 1,072 05-10-2021, 04:39 PM
Last Post: 2SleepBetta
  Help with awakening problem and data interpretation Dannyj1981 27 2,346 03-04-2021, 04:00 PM
Last Post: sawinglogz
  awakening and mouth breathing rgrxdp 3 2,960 10-16-2013, 04:57 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.