Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

December 2016 security monthly quality rollup for Windows 7
I've only been choosing MS windows 7 updates that are "security" updates. Starting October, they have been rolling them up into a large bundle with little information. I've not downloaded a security patch since before October. I don't want to get stuck with tracking junk or a change to the updater that will not let me pick and choose.

Anyone have insight to this MS madness?
That word "Quality" is code for something.

[Image: MSUDATE.jpg]
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smells like Salmon to me. I stopped updating my Win 7 box.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
Have I mentioned how much I HATE MicroSoft?
There is supposed to be a way to pick out the true security patches; and download them from MS.
I suppose I should join a Windoze Forum...

Hijacking my own thread. I need a Linux machine just to go online with. I see some small form-factor Linux based machines. All I need is an RJ45 LAN port, and HDMI port. I would run Firefox and TOR on it.

I also have a W7 machine with a second SSD that I could put Linux on. The question is: Which Linux?

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Oh come on Mongo, don't hold back. Tell us what you really think about Microsoft.

As far as a Linux machine; I put Mint 17 Linux, a Ubuntu flavor, on my laptop as a dual boot. I haven't used the Widows side since I did this 2 months ago. Oddly enough the newer versions of Sleep Master and SleepyHead work better on the Linux side than on the Windows side. SleepyHead is more clear to read.

Apnea Helpful Tips
Post Reply Post Reply
It's a family forum !!!! Admin would boot me if I said how I really feel about MS.

You gave me an idea. I'll get a cheap W10 laptop w removable HDD. Pull the HDD and pop in one of my spare SSDs; then load Linux.
Post Reply Post Reply
Attaboy!
Apnea Helpful Tips
Post Reply Post Reply

Why do you think I prefer and run Macs?

I have a running battle with our church's Windows 10 laptop that updates itself even when you tell it not to. There is a setting under updates where you can it not to reboot within a specified period. Reboots anyway. We also use it on a non-internet wifi network connection (to drive a remote camera), but it automatically dumps the connection and picks up a wifi with a internet and downloads the update and restarts. I swear the machine is possessed. I asked our pastor if she did exorcisms and she just laughed. Christmas Eve services will all be run from my Mac.

So, why don't I like MS? Let me tel you the ways.....

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
Windows 10 rebooting itself when it pleases totally ticks me off too. Despite GPO and Registry settings, it will do it anyway. Last time right in the middle of writing code. luckily the IDE autosaves so I didn't lose much.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2016, 01:54 PM)justMongo Wrote: Have I mentioned how much I HATE MicroSoft?
There is supposed to be a way to pick out the true security patches; and download them from MS.
I suppose I should join a Windoze Forum...

Hijacking my own thread. I need a Linux machine just to go online with. I see some small form-factor Linux based machines. All I need is an RJ45 LAN port, and HDMI port. I would run Firefox and TOR on it.

I also have a W7 machine with a second SSD that I could put Linux on. The question is: Which Linux?

You realize asking which Linux is a religion question, right?

For desktop use, I'm very much a Mac guy. It's not Linux, but it is Unix.

I do occasionally play with desktop Linux, every time I try a Debian or related (Ubuntu, Mint) distro, I get annoyed. Back when I had the desk space for three machines on my desk, I ran a Fedora desktop, but given that I have to support Mac and Windoze, I've only got those two platforms handy. I run CentOS on my servers, every time I've played with anything else as a server, I've gotten really annoyed really quickly.

So yeah, I'm more of a Red Hat based distro guy. CentOS for servers, Fedora for desktops, and when that gets too annoying, just get a Macintosh.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still want Windows 10 for free? AlanE 1 466 09-23-2016, 07:23 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  [Health] Flu vaccine for 2016-2017 available justMongo 7 665 09-05-2016, 02:49 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear
  Windows 7 and 8.1 Users Crimson Nape 20 1,231 08-25-2016, 08:10 PM
Last Post: FrankNichols
Question Tax estimating software for year 2016 ?? justMongo 9 647 08-11-2016, 03:32 PM
Last Post: icyura10
  Windows 10 - Install Heads-Up and a Vent Crimson Nape 11 679 07-24-2016, 02:51 PM
Last Post: justMongo
Question Win 7 March 2016 updates to avoid justMongo 15 1,333 04-14-2016, 05:25 PM
Last Post: becker44a
Question 2016 Census -- WTH ? justMongo 6 807 03-26-2016, 03:05 PM
Last Post: sptrout