Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Deciding which first mask for snoring, back, sleeper
RE: Deciding which first mask for snoring, back, sleeper
(12-18-2013, 09:26 PM)RockABye Wrote: Welcome to the forum, Gabby! It's exciting when the sleep study gets close because you feel like you're finally on track to get some answers and get a good night's sleep. It can be hard to fall asleep when you have dozens of wires hooked to you, you're in a strange bed and you have a camera on you, so don't stress out if you have trouble falling asleep. One of my biggest problems was that I apparently was in the habit of looking at the clock every time I woke up during the night (at home) and since there's no clock in the sleep center room, my brain was constantly trying to figure out what time it was! I was worried they wouldn't get enough data because I couldn't fall asleep, and I really hoped they would be able to do a split night study (where they use the CPAP machine for the second part of the night). The good news was that they got enough data, but the bad news was that it so late by the time they got it, they couldn't do the titration study that night so I had to have a second study a few weeks later.

Hopefully your tech will be a good one and will show you different masks, talk about the pros and cons of each and let you make the decision about which one you want to try. Most of the techs are good and happy to help you.

My best advice is just to take several deep breaths, relax, and don't worry if you don't fall asleep immediately even though you might do that at home. This is definitely not like a typical night sleeping at home. Wink

Good luck!
Thank you RockaBye for you kind welcome and your advice for my study on Saturday night. I must say, my first study I slept like a baby for 341 minutes solid!
I couldn't believe it. I was so tired but I thought no way will I sleep with all these wires connected to me.
The lady that booked me in suggested I take my pillows and extra blankets etc., which was a Godsend. It was like home away from home. I think that is why I slept so well. Whenever I go away for the night I have to take ALL of my pillows.
So will be doing the same this Saturday night and hopefully they will be able to retrieve whatever information they need.
Many thanks again and I hope you are sleeping well.

Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Many of us have multiple masks, I've got 5 or 6 total, FFM, nasal, and pillows - it seems when I think I'm going to stick with one type, something changes and I need to switch - last night, after wearing the 'Wisp' for the last couple of weeks, suddenly I felt like I couldn't breathe so I switched to the 'Swift LT' and magically was all better.

Lots of stuff and ideas to try, only you can decide what will work best for you. What we're good for is support, ideas, and (our) histories.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2013, 11:39 AM)eviltim Wrote: You *should* have the opportunity to talk to the tech about masks and possibly try on different masks (although that may be later when you get yours). Chances are they'll start you off with the pillows unless something more is indicated by your first study. I snore like crazy and sleep on my side and get along well with nasal pillows.

Cheers Eviltim, hopefully I will get a patient sleep technician, that won't try and rush me through things.
The place I am going through to buy mask said I can have a week of trialling masks before I have to buy, so lets hope I find the right one in that time.
Don't like my chances after reading some things on here, how it has taken years to get the right mask.
Anyway I am going in to it with a positive attitude, sort of.Oh-jeezOh-jeez
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
I had to cancel my titration test that was booked in for tonight Sad
My husband has been booked to go in to hospital to have a melanoma removed from his nose on Monday. They only let us know at 7pm last night, so I had to cancel my sleep study as too much to be done.
Anyway, husbands health comes first and once we have him fixed I shall go back on to the waiting list and continue to get excited about my future on CPAP.
I am so looking forward to it. Meanwhile I just love reading this forum.

WISHING YOU ALL A WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY, HEALTHY, SAFE 2014!
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2013, 08:13 AM)Gabby Wrote: I had to cancel my titration test that was booked in for tonight Sad
My husband has been booked to go in to hospital to have a melanoma removed from his nose on Monday. They only let us know at 7pm last night, so I had to cancel my sleep study as too much to be done.
Anyway, husbands health comes first and once we have him fixed I shall go back on to the waiting list and continue to get excited about my future on CPAP.
I am so looking forward to it. Meanwhile I just love reading this forum.

WISHING YOU ALL A WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY, HEALTHY, SAFE 2014!

sorry about your husband and not having your sleep titration. I hope you don't wait too long because having OSA that is untreated can cause you a lot of medical problems, some can be very serious.

Merry Christmas
Post Reply Post Reply
Well Gabby when you get your CPAP machine, you will wonder how you ever did without.
At the evening service tonight, the sermon topic will be 'What Is Hell?' Come early and listen to our choir practice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2013, 07:44 AM)Gabby Wrote: Am I allowed to ask these people for my preference in masks or do they just give me what they think is best?

The answer varies with different sleep labs. I would call them and ask them. If they can't give you a straight answer tell you want to cancel and make an appointment with a different lab. Despite the fact that it's the practice of medicine, you are the customer and they are the profit-making provider. You only have to do it their way if you decide to hire them.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree - best to treat the melanoma first. (I have a spectacular scar on my elbow where I had one taken off).

Following on from Sleepster's comment, do you have an alternative sleep clinic where you don't have to wait so long? I guess there must be quite a few in Brisbane, which is not too far from you.

Here's hoping both you and your husband enjoy a happy and safe Christmas and New Year.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gabby, so sorry to hear of your husband's melanoma. That is very important to move on quickly. Sending well wishes to both you and your husband.

It is apparent you have the right attitude needed for CPAP. That is a good thing and will carry you far when you get your titration and begin your therapy. The same is needed when battling any kind of cancer. I have been through two rounds of cancer of different kinds and now CPAP. I believe attitude and determination has helped me progress through all of them successfully.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and road to good health for you and your husband.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 172 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Glad to Have a Back-up, RM 11 Sent Back for Repair somewherein413 4 151 04-04-2024, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Back to CPAP for UARS, help interpreting graphs dcg494 2 198 04-02-2024, 08:58 AM
Last Post: dcg494
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 5,406 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,733 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,693 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 591 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.