Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: unsure
Humidifier: resmed
CPAP Pressure: 10-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Deciphering pulse rate data from oximeter
I'm a new board member, although I've been on a CPAP machine for a little less than two years. I have moderate sleep apnea with a twist -- every two years or so, I suffer a tonic-clonic seizure in my sleep. This started happening out of nowhere in my mid 50s. Extensive epilepsy testing and CT/MRI brain scans have turned up nothing. Meanwhile, using a recordable oximeter has turned up an odd pattern in my pulse that my cardiologist is puzzling over.

Basically, I have a sawtooth pulse pattern -- fluctuating between 45 and 75-90 -- for three or four hours. then my pulse flatlines around 45-50 for an hour or so. The flatline period is when bad things happen -- desats down into the 80s that can last 10 minutes or more without apneas, as well as the occasional seizure. Usually, it's when my heart is making the transition from sawtooth to flat or back.

I recorded one seizure on the CPAP -- a 38-second obstructive apnea preceded it.

I tried to attached an oximetry report showing the pattern, but it wouldn't attach.

This make sense to anyone?
09-01-2016 10:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

RE: Deciphering pulse rate data from oximeter
Not really...

There is a small expendable monitor used by cardio docs called the ZIO patch. It can be worn for as long as 2 weeks and has no wires to snag.
They superglue it to the left pectoral region.

Any other medical conditions? Perhaps diabetes? Long term diabetes can result in something called systemic neuropathy. It interferes with nerve conduction.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
09-01-2016 10:57 AM
Possum Online

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense Autoset A10
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: (included in CPAP model)
CPAP Pressure: 8-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Innovo CMS-50F+ pulse oximeter

Does this pattern occur consistently, over say an entire week's worth of oximetry data? Recording oximeters are not without their limitations, as they require wearing a large, awkward probe on your finger all night. Unless you are perfectly still all night, the probe can get banged around out of place and generate artifactual profiles like what you're describing.
09-01-2016 11:24 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
sean333 Offline

New Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense 10
Mask Make & Model: unsure
Humidifier: resmed
CPAP Pressure: 10-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Happens every night in similar but varied patterns.

I'm wearing an event monitor as I write for three weeks. This is supposed to pick up any arrhythmias that might be causing this. I do have bradycardia, but it has been considered nonsymptomatic until now.

I'm trying to do research ahead of the cardiologist's findings because they sometimes miss more subtle conditions that another doctor might have picked up on with another apnea board member.

I think I've just inserted a jpg file of the oximeter report. Let's see whether it works.

09-01-2016 11:47 AM
srlevine1 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense Autoset (S10)
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Activa LT
Humidifier: Internal to S10
CPAP Pressure: 12-15.6
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

(09-01-2016 10:31 AM)sean333 Wrote:  I'm a new board member, although I've been on a CPAP machine for a little less than two years. I have moderate sleep apnea with a twist -- every two years or so, I suffer a tonic-clonic seizure in my sleep. This started happening out of nowhere in my mid 50s. Extensive epilepsy testing and CT/MRI brain scans have turned up nothing. Meanwhile, using a recordable oximeter has turned up an odd pattern in my pulse that my cardiologist is puzzling over.

Basically, I have a sawtooth pulse pattern -- fluctuating between 45 and 75-90 -- for three or four hours. then my pulse flatlines around 45-50 for an hour or so. The flatline period is when bad things happen -- desats down into the 80s that can last 10 minutes or more without apneas, as well as the occasional seizure. Usually, it's when my heart is making the transition from sawtooth to flat or back.

I recorded one seizure on the CPAP -- a 38-second obstructive apnea preceded it.

I tried to attached an oximetry report showing the pattern, but it wouldn't attach.

This make sense to anyone?

As JustMongo said, the Zio patch is a great device for detecting irregular heartbeats and arrhythmias over relatively longer period of times and is comfortable to wear up to two weeks. BTW -- ask them to use surgical tape on the ends as the patch tends to loosen over time with motion, sweat, etc. It is effective and cheap. They put it on, you take it off and mail it back to the manufacturer, and they send the report to the doc.

Have you checked for an indication of periodic breathing (Cheyne-Stokes Respiration) which will show up in both ResScan and ResMed?

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2016 11:49 AM by srlevine1.)
09-01-2016 11:48 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi sean333,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and also with getting your problem straightened out.

trish6hundred
09-01-2016 02:41 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Waiting for sleep study results...got Pulse Ox in the meanwhile jds2001 10 278 12-01-2016 03:13 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Pulse Oxygen Sensor muddywaters 6 315 11-27-2016 07:23 PM
  [Equipment] low heart rate BrownFox292 4 239 11-24-2016 03:34 AM
Last Post: holden4th
  Leak rate abrun7 8 434 11-22-2016 09:02 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Equipment] CMS 50F PLUS OLED Wrist Color Pulse Oximeter with Innovo® SnugFit probe Ham Radio 5 381 11-15-2016 05:03 PM
Last Post: JuicyJuices
  Flow Rate Interpretation nadprok 2 216 11-13-2016 06:08 PM
Last Post: nadprok
  Oximeter Normal Graph shermantank45 14 589 11-03-2016 06:00 PM