Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Deciphering pulse rate data from oximeter
Deciphering pulse rate data from oximeter
I'm a new board member, although I've been on a CPAP machine for a little less than two years. I have moderate sleep apnea with a twist -- every two years or so, I suffer a tonic-clonic seizure in my sleep. This started happening out of nowhere in my mid 50s. Extensive epilepsy testing and CT/MRI brain scans have turned up nothing. Meanwhile, using a recordable oximeter has turned up an odd pattern in my pulse that my cardiologist is puzzling over.

Basically, I have a sawtooth pulse pattern -- fluctuating between 45 and 75-90 -- for three or four hours. then my pulse flatlines around 45-50 for an hour or so. The flatline period is when bad things happen -- desats down into the 80s that can last 10 minutes or more without apneas, as well as the occasional seizure. Usually, it's when my heart is making the transition from sawtooth to flat or back.

I recorded one seizure on the CPAP -- a 38-second obstructive apnea preceded it.

I tried to attached an oximetry report showing the pattern, but it wouldn't attach.

This make sense to anyone?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Deciphering pulse rate data from oximeter
Not really...

There is a small expendable monitor used by cardio docs called the ZIO patch. It can be worn for as long as 2 weeks and has no wires to snag.
They superglue it to the left pectoral region.

Any other medical conditions? Perhaps diabetes? Long term diabetes can result in something called systemic neuropathy. It interferes with nerve conduction.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Does this pattern occur consistently, over say an entire week's worth of oximetry data? Recording oximeters are not without their limitations, as they require wearing a large, awkward probe on your finger all night. Unless you are perfectly still all night, the probe can get banged around out of place and generate artifactual profiles like what you're describing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Happens every night in similar but varied patterns.

I'm wearing an event monitor as I write for three weeks. This is supposed to pick up any arrhythmias that might be causing this. I do have bradycardia, but it has been considered nonsymptomatic until now.

I'm trying to do research ahead of the cardiologist's findings because they sometimes miss more subtle conditions that another doctor might have picked up on with another apnea board member.

I think I've just inserted a jpg file of the oximeter report. Let's see whether it works.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2016, 10:31 AM)sean333 Wrote: I'm a new board member, although I've been on a CPAP machine for a little less than two years. I have moderate sleep apnea with a twist -- every two years or so, I suffer a tonic-clonic seizure in my sleep. This started happening out of nowhere in my mid 50s. Extensive epilepsy testing and CT/MRI brain scans have turned up nothing. Meanwhile, using a recordable oximeter has turned up an odd pattern in my pulse that my cardiologist is puzzling over.

Basically, I have a sawtooth pulse pattern -- fluctuating between 45 and 75-90 -- for three or four hours. then my pulse flatlines around 45-50 for an hour or so. The flatline period is when bad things happen -- desats down into the 80s that can last 10 minutes or more without apneas, as well as the occasional seizure. Usually, it's when my heart is making the transition from sawtooth to flat or back.

I recorded one seizure on the CPAP -- a 38-second obstructive apnea preceded it.

I tried to attached an oximetry report showing the pattern, but it wouldn't attach.

This make sense to anyone?

As JustMongo said, the Zio patch is a great device for detecting irregular heartbeats and arrhythmias over relatively longer period of times and is comfortable to wear up to two weeks. BTW -- ask them to use surgical tape on the ends as the patch tends to loosen over time with motion, sweat, etc. It is effective and cheap. They put it on, you take it off and mail it back to the manufacturer, and they send the report to the doc.

Have you checked for an indication of periodic breathing (Cheyne-Stokes Respiration) which will show up in both ResScan and ResMed?
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sean333,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and also with getting your problem straightened out.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 1 37 4 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 0 51 Yesterday, 01:27 PM
Last Post: xaid
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 2 54 Yesterday, 12:27 PM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 85 Yesterday, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 24,929 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  Help with spotting flow rate RERA's apnea505 3 141 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: apnea505
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 132 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.