Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Decreasing noise level from CPAP
Decreasing noise level from CPAP
Hi,

My Resmed 10 Autoset is placed on a shelf adjacent to my bed. It is not particularly noisy, however I can hear it when it is very silent at night. I think it transmits some vibrations to the furniture, which amplifies it. Is there a way to decrese this transmission?  Just to make an experiment, I put the Resmed's powercord under the unit, which raised one side of the machine up and this decreased the sound. Can I put some kind of foam or sponge under the unit?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Decreasing noise level from CPAP
Some people here put a folded towel under their CPAP to help minimize noise.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is it possible to put it under the edge of your bed?

I have my Dreamstation on a nylon kitchen chopping board just large enough for the size of the machine [to keep it off the carpet and minimise the risk of any heat from the unit burning the carpet].

The hose runs up and hangs off the bedhead so it has an arc in it, which also helps reduce possible rainout.
Also the Dreamstation is in auto start and auto stop mode which makes it far easier at home, and also in the campervan where the machine is placed in a cupboard under the bed/seat and only half the hose and the mask are accessible - unless I pack up all the bedding and open the access hatch in the storage area.

Some people have also set up a dedicated drawer in a bedside chest of drawers specifically to house their CPAP machine so the noise level is reduced.

We also use a sleep sounds app at times with a running stream sounds that masks other noises such as cars and other neighbourhood noises.
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe a foam mouse mat or similar on your bedside cabinet
Post Reply Post Reply
High-friction shelf liner material is available in various thicknesses.  I think this might do well for reducing the noise, and help keep the unit from sliding off the shelf.

Good luck on your journey.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
I use some Rubbermaid shelf liner under my CPAP machine. It not only reduces any vibration, the shelf liner is very grippy, and makes it almost impossible for the machine to be pulled off my bedside file cabinet. 

The longer the machine rests on the liner, the better it holds / grips.
Post Reply Post Reply
I put mine in the top drawer of my bedside table and drilled a hole in the back for the hose and power cable to come out. I can still hear it, but it is much much better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Theres also the old standbys... ear plugs, white noise (something soothing) also some run a fan or room humidifier.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have found the amount of water I put in the tank can reduce the breathing noise. More water, the less noise.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't use the humidifier. I have found that using the side plate replacement considerably reduces the noise.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bi-Level Help, Prisma 25ST Macka 0 85 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,273 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,009 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 465 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 586 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 156 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.