Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Deep Sleep
Deep Sleep
Hi Everyone,

I have both the fitbit and Samsung and have been tracking my sleep since starting with the CPAP. I am seeing on the Fitbit/Samsung reports that I am only averaging about 14-20 minutes of deep sleep which is much lower than when I was not on the CPAP. Fitbit/Samsung would report an hour to hour and twenty minutes of deep sleep earlier. I do not feel refreshed after a full night's sleep and typically by weekend I am usually taking a nap. The good thing is that earlier i would doze of for 2 to 2.5 hours on the weekends. After the CPAP is am napping for 20-40 minutes max.

I am wondering if the deep sleep is not happening due to some mental resistance or not being able to completely relax before sleeping. I am hoping that this will settle down as I get used to using the CPAP daily and my body/mind adapt to the new routine.

Best Regards,

Kashyap
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Deep Sleep
It could be that your sleep may be disrupted because your machine settings aren't optimal. Please post an OSCAR daily chart following the instructions for posting and organizing data in the links below. We may something that is causing your problem.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
The biggest reason is probably inaccuracy of fitbit as they don't know what stage of sleep you are actually in and just guess based on movements, heart rate etc.

Focus more on how you feel. You say you don't have to nap as much as before which would indicate your sleep quality has already improved not become worse.

It does take weeks/months to fully adapt to CPAP (both mentally and physically) so I wouldn't worry about any of this.
Post Reply Post Reply
@Melman - I am posting the screenshot for last night. Hopefully there is some indication on what the issue could be. While I am napping less I still feel quite lethargic and a lack of energy.

Best Regards,

Kashyap

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
rkashyap,
Have you ever used the EPR (exhale pressure relief)?  

You are experiencing high Flow Limitations and Hypopneas which could be causing arousals and disrupting sleep.
Using EPR could help. I would set it to 3 and see how it goes.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2021, 11:03 AM)OpalRose Wrote: rkashyap,
Have you ever used the EPR (exhale pressure relief)?  

You are experiencing high Flow Limitations and Hypopneas which could be causing arousals and disrupting sleep.
Using EPR could help.  I would set it to 3 and see how it goes.

@OpalRose,

I was on a CPAP trial for 7 weeks before I got my prescription and purchased my Resmed. During the trial I was using EPR which was initially set at 3 and then reduced. The Doctor recommended that I should stop using EPR once I was comfortable using the CPAP so I did not set it up once I had my own machine. I will set the EPR tonight and see how that works. Since I have a fixed setting min-max pressure = 13 will having EPR lower the average pressure during the night?

On another note, I came across a Fitbit sleep study on Google Scholar and it states that Fitbit has a good prediction for Light sleep and waking up during sleep, fairly good correlation with REM but only average for N3 or deep sleep. As the technology improves this should get more accurate.

Best Regards,

Kashyap
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR stands for, Expiratory Pressure Relief.  The EPR value (0-3) represents a reduction in cmH2O of your inhale pressure during an exhale. If you have your pressure set to 13 cmH2O, an EPR set to 3 will reduce your exhale pressure to 10 cmH2O.   While this feature is listed by Resmed as for comfort,  it has been shown to be an aid in treating flow limitations.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have a reason you are on a fixed rate?  Your flow limits are height and can cause sleep disturbances. You can help eliminate them with autoset and epr. 

If you have a reason for your settings fine but if not I think we can do better on the pressures.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
The pressures I would suggest -

Autoset 
Max 15
Min 9
EPR 3

By doing this your pressure will be anywhere between 9 and 15 with the machine determining the pressure it needs to stop the apnea 

With EPR your exhale would be 6. Much easier to breathe and it will help with flow limits and H.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2021, 12:39 PM)staceyburke Wrote: The pressures I would suggest -

Autoset 
Max 15
Min 9
EPR 3

By doing this your pressure will be anywhere between 9 and 15 with the machine determining the pressure it needs to stop the apnea 

With EPR your exhale would be 6. Much easier to breathe and it will help with flow limits and H.

I will try the setting and post the results.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Best Regards,

Kashyap
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 113 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 209 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Average AHI vs deep sleep stage AHI question BezDuh 4 586 01-24-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,363 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  reading oscar data- deep sleep nachumj 6 821 10-10-2023, 09:34 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 808 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.