Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Deep cycle marine battery backup questions. Please help.
RE: Dep cycle marine battery backup questions. Please help.
(04-10-2015, 09:59 AM)JVinNE Wrote:
(04-10-2015, 09:42 AM)justMongo Wrote: Something to consider for power outages that might last days.
You can get a 100 Watt solar charger for under $200. With good sunlight, it can bring the charge on a 50 A-Hr, 50% discharged battery, to full charge in 3 hours.

Or I could just buy two batteries and tenders. Not a heck of a lot of sun in New England at times. Smile

You don't need two battery tenders. The battery is not going to discharge all by itself (well, it will, but not quickly). One is fine. I charge three batteries off of one BatteryTender: I hook it up to each one on the first day f each month and that topping charge takes less than an hour each. So they in no way lose much of the charge through a month or two.

Power out, I run my CPAP without heated humidification (maybe still using the passive, non-heated humidification properties - hell, on the PR system one, I have completely turned off the heating element and jut go passive anyway-the lowest heating setting is too much in classic mode).

three 35 AH batteries will easily get me through at least two weeks straight without recharge. I expect three. And no, I don't think you would hurt the batteries by running them into discharge. The CPAP would likely cut off at low voltage before you get to that level.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2015, 11:28 PM)justMongo Wrote: I had in mind the accidental dropping of something like a metal rod across the terminals -- yes, I have some odd things in my room. Like suppose I'm cleaning my Glock; and I drop my cleaning rod onto the battery.

Grocks can be cleaned? I mean, other than just throwing it in the dishwasher with the rest of the Tupperware?

Laugh-a-lot

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2015, 10:46 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote:
(04-10-2015, 09:59 AM)JVinNE Wrote:
(04-10-2015, 09:42 AM)justMongo Wrote: Something to consider for power outages that might last days.
You can get a 100 Watt solar charger for under $200. With good sunlight, it can bring the charge on a 50 A-Hr, 50% discharged battery, to full charge in 3 hours.

Or I could just buy two batteries and tenders. Not a heck of a lot of sun in New England at times. Smile

You don't need two battery tenders. The battery is not going to discharge all by itself (well, it will, but not quickly). One is fine. I charge three batteries off of one BatteryTender: I hook it up to each one on the first day f each month and that topping charge takes less than an hour each. So they in no way lose much of the charge through a month or two.

Power out, I run my CPAP without heated humidification (maybe still using the passive, non-heated humidification properties - hell, on the PR system one, I have completely turned off the heating element and jut go passive anyway-the lowest heating setting is too much in classic mode).

three 35 AH batteries will easily get me through at least two weeks straight without recharge. I expect three. And no, I don't think you would hurt the batteries by running them into discharge. The CPAP would likely cut off at low voltage before you get to that level.

OMMOHY

That works, and thanks again for the help. I'm curious, do I have to add water to this battery or just charge it?

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2015, 01:17 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: Short version You could use an AGM battery and probably never have a problem. You would have to overcharge it pretty hard to make it vent. Be sure you get a charger programed for AGM and for your use will probably last at least 10 yrs. Overcharging and under charging are mostly what kill batteries.

Other than being unspillable, AGM/gel cell/sealed lead acid batteries don't have many advantages. To simplify, let's use the term "SLA" Sealed Lead Acid, which covers all the above batteries. SLA batteries cost a lot more and don't necessarily last longer.

For a flooded cell (standard non SLA) battery, you do have to add water occasionally. If you have the right charger, you won't have to add more often than every 6 months or so. I've had excellent luck over many years with the Schumacher SE-1-12s charger with deep cycle marine batteries.

Modern flooded cell batteries need water a lot less often than older batteries did.

A SLA is the same chemistry as a flooded cell battery, except that it has a pressurized case that helps combine a small amount of hydrogen and oxygen back into water such that you don't have to add water. A SLA will vent hydrogen and oxygen if you overcharge and generate hydrogen and oxygen too quickly.

I'm beginning to think that even a "deep cycle" battery is unnecessary for CPAP backup unless you have a lot of outages. I'm doing some online research, but it seems that even a car starting battery will survive a few dozen deep discharge cycles, and for CPAP usage, you probably don't get a deep discharge unless you have an outage of more than one night. How often do you have more than 24 hours power outage. Also, realize that even a good battery, well maintained, wears out every 7 years or so.

However, a deep cycle flooded cell isn't that much more expensive and they are probably a bit more resistant to charging abuse.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Deep cycle marine battery backup questions. Please help.
Having lived on a sailboat and forced to deal with a house bank I tried to give an idea where to look w/o over doing it but certainly a maintainable battery has its advantages. T-100s are everywhere and probably the most bang for the buck.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
I and my dad have probably taken at least 10 deep cycle flooded cell marine batteries from cradle to grave.

I usually get about 5-7 years on each battery as long as I use the Schumacher SE-1-12S charger. Some other "trickle/maintenance" batteries have either boiled the water away quickly or even ruined a battery.

For extra safety, sometimes, I get a one week mechanical outlet timer and set it to charge the battery for 8 hours or so one day a week. That way, if the charger "loses its mind," it gets reset once a week, and only gets to overcharge the battery for 8 hours a week instead of 168 hours a week.

Even without the timer, I still tend to get 5-7 years out of the battery.

I haven't used the battery tender or battery minder in this fashion, so I can't say they're bad. I also don't have confidence in other Schumacher chargers for 24/7 connection. I'm particularly skeptical of the "fast charge" battery chargers that put out 6-10 amps to charge and then drop back to a "maintenance, trickle, or float" charge. If it's connected 24/7, it only has to "get confused" once every few years to ruin a battery that would normally have had many more years of life in it.
Useful links.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2015, 03:27 PM)archangle Wrote:
(04-09-2015, 01:17 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: Short version You could use an AGM battery and probably never have a problem. You would have to overcharge it pretty hard to make it vent. Be sure you get a charger programed for AGM and for your use will probably last at least 10 yrs. Overcharging and under charging are mostly what kill batteries.

Other than being unspillable, AGM/gel cell/sealed lead acid batteries don't have many advantages. To simplify, let's use the term "SLA" Sealed Lead Acid, which covers all the above batteries. SLA batteries cost a lot more and don't necessarily last longer.

For a flooded cell (standard non SLA) battery, you do have to add water occasionally. If you have the right charger, you won't have to add more often than every 6 months or so. I've had excellent luck over many years with the Schumacher SE-1-12s charger with deep cycle marine batteries.

Modern flooded cell batteries need water a lot less often than older batteries did.

A SLA is the same chemistry as a flooded cell battery, except that it has a pressurized case that helps combine a small amount of hydrogen and oxygen back into water such that you don't have to add water. A SLA will vent hydrogen and oxygen if you overcharge and generate hydrogen and oxygen too quickly.

I'm beginning to think that even a "deep cycle" battery is unnecessary for CPAP backup unless you have a lot of outages. I'm doing some online research, but it seems that even a car starting battery will survive a few dozen deep discharge cycles, and for CPAP usage, you probably don't get a deep discharge unless you have an outage of more than one night. How often do you have more than 24 hours power outage. Also, realize that even a good battery, well maintained, wears out every 7 years or so.

However, a deep cycle flooded cell isn't that much more expensive and they are probably a bit more resistant to charging abuse.

Even for an ASV?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2015, 05:16 PM)JVinNE Wrote: Even for an ASV?

Which particular question are you asking "even for an ASV" about?

ASV's draw more power and may need a larger battery, but how many nights a year do you expect to have to use it all night long?
Useful links.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2015, 05:39 PM)archangle Wrote:
(04-10-2015, 05:16 PM)JVinNE Wrote: Even for an ASV?

Which particular question are you asking "even for an ASV" about?

ASV's draw more power and may need a larger battery, but how many nights a year do you expect to have to use it all night long?

If there is a hurricane, 3 nights estimate, and snow storm, 2-3. There is the occasional day without power in summer; if something happens on the grid. I should keep my battery on the work table in the basement, because it's cooler down there, and the only room that has AirCon, is my bedroom. The house is a few blocks from a beach.

archangle, what do you think of this battery? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z11arnAhw7M

Post Reply Post Reply
Added new comment to previous comment. Tried to delete this.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 106 5 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 156 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 102 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,824 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 200 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.