Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Deep cycle marine battery backup questions. Please help.
RE: Dep cycle marine battery backup questions. Please help.
(04-11-2015, 09:43 AM)JVinNE Wrote: what do you think of this battery? https:URL REMOVED

Not Archie.

Bad solution for reserve power for CPAP usage: if you try to just plug the CPAP into the 110v plugs, the inverter is VERY VERY VERY inefficient. If it is a 20 AH battery (see below) the you may have the equivalent of a 10 AH battery if you go through the inverter.

WRT the 12V, the power supply inside is just an SLA battery. They fail to say what the AH capacity is. Checked specs on Sears and Amazon: weight of 20 lbs would indicate that the battery inside is maybe at most a 20 AH SLA which would weigh 16 lbs by itself.

WRT price, it is mucho expensive compared to just getting a SLA battery, wiring harness w/ cigarette lighter plug and battery tender. Also, w/ the battery setup, you could add batteries at a much lower incremental cost.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Deep cycle marine battery backup questions. Please help.
Diehard 1150 Owner's Manual - look at the run times.

Some of the weight and space is consumed by the air compressor you don't need for CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2015, 10:46 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote:
(04-11-2015, 09:43 AM)JVinNE Wrote: what do you think of this battery? https:URL REMOVED

Not Archie.

Bad solution for reserve power for CPAP usage: if you try to just plug the CPAP into the 110v plugs, the inverter is VERY VERY VERY inefficient. If it is a 20 AH battery (see below) the you may have the equivalent of a 10 AH battery if you go through the inverter.

WRT the 12V, the power supply inside is just an SLA battery. They fail to say what the AH capacity is. Checked specs on Sears and Amazon: weight of 20 lbs would indicate that the battery inside is maybe at most a 20 AH SLA which would weigh 16 lbs by itself.

WRT price, it is mucho expensive compared to just getting a SLA battery, wiring harness w/ cigarette lighter plug and battery tender. Also, w/ the battery setup, you could add batteries at a much lower incremental cost.

OMMOHY

Thank you. I'm starting to think the deep cycle marine battery might be the best option, with the converter cable from ResMed, and a battery tender.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2015, 09:43 AM)JVinNE Wrote: If there is a hurricane, 3 nights estimate, and snow storm, 2-3. There is the occasional day without power in summer; if something happens on the grid. I should keep my battery on the work table in the basement, because it's cooler down there, and the only room that has AirCon, is my bedroom. The house is a few blocks from a beach.

archangle, what do you think of this battery? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z11arnAhw7M

Are you wanting to use the AC outlets? If so, that's an inverter, and there's some question about running an A10 unit on an inverter. Read the ResMed battery guide linked in the useful links in my signature line.

ResMed says you can use an inverter on S9 models, warns it will damage S8 models, but is silent on using an inverter on A10 models. It's not clear whether inverters will harm the A10 models, whether they just haven't generated the data, or if they're just trying to make you buy their overpriced DC-DC converter.

I'm not sure the inverter is terribly inefficient on the Diehard 1500, but the battery is fairly small, especially compared to a car battery. The Diehard 1500 battery is fine for running inverter capable CPAPs, but you only get a few hours of usage because of the small size. Because of the higher power draw of the ASV, it's an even shorter run time.

You would get more run time with the ResMed converter powered off the diehard, but probably not even one night.

If the power is out for 3 nights, you may need more than one car battery sized battery to run your ASV machine. Unfortunately, ResMed gives no guidance on battery draw for any of the AirCurve 10 machines.

Even the information on the S9 ASV machine is squirrely. It says
S9 AutoSet - 16 cmH2O - inverter - 1.23A - 15 AH
S9 VPAP Adapt SV-A - 15 cmH20 - inverter - 3.01A - 37 AH
S9 AutoSet - 16 cmH20 - converter - 0.9A - 11 AH
S9 VPAP Adapt SV-A - converter - 0.95A - 12 AH

It says the two models draw about the same current on the converter, but the ASV draws twice the power on an inverter?

You need enough battery power to run through the longest power outage you need to be able to work through. Or you need to decide how many nights you're willing to pay for. You might find it costs you $150 to power your machine for two nights, or $300 to power it for 4 nights. How often are you going to have to have it for more than two nights?
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are some of your options in order of increasing cost:
Do without CPAP for one or two nights.
Buy sufficient backup for one night without humidity.
Buy sufficient backup for one night with humidity or maybe three nights without.
Buy sufficient backup for multiple nights with humidity.

How often do you lose power for more than 24 hours? In nearly thirty years of living here, that's been once… maybe twice... besides the time we were out for 9 days due to the remnants of Hurricane Ivan.

Post Reply Post Reply
Another thought re: humidity ;

There are some inline devices that go with the ultra-portable CPAPs that are supposed to supply humidity "rebreathing".

I have never tired them and don't know how weell they work firsthand, Some folk say they do, some not so well. But may be worth a try in those situations.

hdmusa.com and find it under products and then accessories.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2015, 03:41 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Another thought re: humidity ;

There are some inline devices that go with the ultra-portable CPAPs that are supposed to supply humidity "rebreathing".

I have never tired them and don't know how weell they work firsthand, Some folk say they do, some not so well. But may be worth a try in those situations.

OMMOHY

Those are interesting. You have to replace them after a few nights use and keep them in sealed bags to keep water out, but they might be good in a pinch.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2015, 03:41 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Another thought re: humidity ;

OMMOHY

I'm on ASV.

(04-11-2015, 12:57 PM)iSnore Wrote: Here are some of your options in order of increasing cost:
Do without CPAP for one or two nights.
Buy sufficient backup for one night without humidity.
Buy sufficient backup for one night with humidity or maybe three nights without.
Buy sufficient backup for multiple nights with humidity.

How often do you lose power for more than 24 hours? In nearly thirty years of living here, that's been once… maybe twice... besides the time we were out for 9 days due to the remnants of Hurricane Ivan.

We lost power for 36-40 hours during Superstorm Sandy, and we had 24 hours without power during the last hurricane. I do not want to go without my ASV. I have sleep-onset centrals and I desat to the 70s and low 80s on the pulse ox. It freaks me the f**k out.

Post Reply Post Reply
I want sufficient backup for one night with, and or and three nights without humidity.
(04-11-2015, 12:41 PM)archangle Wrote:
(04-11-2015, 09:43 AM)JVinNE Wrote: If there is a hurricane, 3 nights estimate, and snow storm, 2-3. There is the occasional day without power in summer; if something happens on the grid. I should keep my battery on the work table in the basement, because it's cooler down there, and the only room that has AirCon, is my bedroom. The house is a few blocks from a beach.

archangle, what do you think of this battery? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z11arnAhw7M

Are you wanting to use the AC outlets? If so, that's an inverter, and there's some question about running an A10 unit on an inverter. Read the ResMed battery guide linked in the useful links in my signature line.

ResMed says you can use an inverter on S9 models, warns it will damage S8 models, but is silent on using an inverter on A10 models. It's not clear whether inverters will harm the A10 models, whether they just haven't generated the data, or if they're just trying to make you buy their overpriced DC-DC converter.

I'm not sure the inverter is terribly inefficient on the Diehard 1500, but the battery is fairly small, especially compared to a car battery. The Diehard 1500 battery is fine for running inverter capable CPAPs, but you only get a few hours of usage because of the small size. Because of the higher power draw of the ASV, it's an even shorter run time.

You would get more run time with the ResMed converter powered off the diehard, but probably not even one night.

If the power is out for 3 nights, you may need more than one car battery sized battery to run your ASV machine. Unfortunately, ResMed gives no guidance on battery draw for any of the AirCurve 10 machines.

Even the information on the S9 ASV machine is squirrely. It says
S9 AutoSet - 16 cmH2O - inverter - 1.23A - 15 AH
S9 VPAP Adapt SV-A - 15 cmH20 - inverter - 3.01A - 37 AH
S9 AutoSet - 16 cmH20 - converter - 0.9A - 11 AH
S9 VPAP Adapt SV-A - converter - 0.95A - 12 AH

It says the two models draw about the same current on the converter, but the ASV draws twice the power on an inverter?

You need enough battery power to run through the longest power outage you need to be able to work through. Or you need to decide how many nights you're willing to pay for. You might find it costs you $150 to power your machine for two nights, or $300 to power it for 4 nights. How often are you going to have to have it for more than two nights?

I think I'm going to need to buy the DC-DC converter, because everyone I have spoken with at the various DME depts say that it is the only cable that works with my machine.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2015, 04:57 PM)JVinNE Wrote: [quote='OMyMyOHellYes' pid='108345' dateline='1428784901']
Another thought re: humidity ;

OMMOHY

I'm on ASV.

I get that. But you use the same masks and the same tubes. I would think the humidification dongles would work the same for ASV as for the CPAP. Is there any reason why it wouldn't?

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EPR questions juniper 5 187 Yesterday, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 167 Yesterday, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 8 166 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 10 296 04-02-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
Question [Equipment] Airsense 11 Questions tblaster 2 150 04-02-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: tblaster
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 54 4,729 04-01-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Charliejoe
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 246 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.