Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Deep tech help with Phillips ASV machine settings
Deep tech help with Phillips ASV machine settings
Is there anyone here that can tell me the details and uses of some obscured settings/controls of Phillips ASV machines??

The main one is the setting of BPM:  Phillips says, “This screen allows you to modify the Breaths Per Minute setting. The Breaths Per Minute setting is a back-up breath rate where there is a machine-triggered breath to the patient within the defined timeframe per breath. You can choose between Off, Auto, or 4 through 30. This setting only displays if PS max is greater than zero.

So seems fairly clear…well not really:

When and why should it be OFF??  What conditions are these settings for??

When and why should it be on auto??

What is the best BPM settings: 1 to 30??

Next is this setting: “Ti This screen allows you to modify the Inspiratory Time setting. You may adjust the setting from 0.5 to 3.0 seconds in 0.1 increments. This setting only displays if PS max is greater than zero and BPM is not set to Off or Auto.”

I would like a deeper exasperation as to these settings.

And Mask Type: “This setting allows you to select the appropriate Mask Type resistance setting (also known as System One Resistance Control) for your Philips Respironics mask. This feature allows the device to adjust the level of pressure compensation to match your mask. Refer to the packaging of your mask to identify the resistance setting for your mask. Note: It is important to use the appropriate “Mask Type” resistance setting to ensure proper pressure delivery to the patient.”

I would like a deeper exasperation as to these settings as well.

I have come to believe that perhaps my problems with my Sleep machine over the past seven years may have been the incorrect use of these settings.

Thanks.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Deep tech help with Phillips ASV machine settings
I have the Dreamstation Auto Bipap, so not the ASV, but I found a white paper from Phillips that helped me more than the suggestions I was given on here.  I can send that to you to see if it's relevant to the ASV settings?
Post Reply Post Reply
Please.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is how I see it on the backup rate, first if you qualified for ASV then I don't think you'd ever choose Off or there is no backup rate as in the ASV/SVAuto will never nudge you when you have a CA that the machine needs to kick you into breathing. As for the number to set it, what do you see as data on current or historical breath rate? Example is you see 12 so I think you'd set machine backup rate at 2 below that or 10. You need some reduction in your normal spontaneous breath rate when you set this or the SVAuto is going to kick in sooner and you're then operating where the machine is more like a ventilator and timing your breaths. IMO not what you need in normal circumstances. On a vent/NIV yes maybe but not ASV/SVAuto machines. If backup rate has Auto set that and let it create historical numbers and then if you want manual go with a bit lower than historical.

Respironics mask resistance number, if you have Respironics masks, it gives an X factor to set. If you don't have that brand mask the directions will say to set this to Off/0.

I'm just commenting about your pursuit to dig deeper into the settings. If you don't understand what they are, I'd caution you to leave them alone or set it to Auto. It may be that your seemingly failed therapy might be easier to solve than you think. Here I could mention about what's been said in the past about the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV being very capable. And your response is I didn't like ResMed PAP in the past, and someone needs to send me one for free to try it and prove it. I sure am not sending you my ASV to prove anything. Why shirk off your responsibility to others? It's on you to get the right machine, or in fact any machine.

OK despite all that's been hashed several times, the point is you are looking to discover some deep secret in the deeper settings, but even if you decode the deeper settings, if your therapy isn't on the right track by now I'd point to the machine itself as in the past. You demand A++ therapy treatment out of B+ machines. It just doesn't work that way.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sending it to you now.

Attached Files
.pdf   4105370_BiPAPAuto_Protocol_edoc.pdf (Size: 69.67 KB / Downloads: 10)
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2020, 02:06 PM)Phaleronic Wrote: Sending it to you now.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
No problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2020, 01:57 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I am glad you’re following my posts, thanks.

Your note: “If backup rate has Auto set that and let it create historical numbers and then if you want manual go with a bit lower than historical.” Sounds good, too bad no one ever said to do that.

As a ASV machine records a cycle of five breaths and when you skip one of two will use those as the rate to push you to breathe, it SEEMED a good idea to use Auto all the time.

BUT I think this can be a trap. Again it tracks five breaths and uses them to program a breath rate and I bet volume and pressure to then feed you the same…SO IF you drop in breathing rate and breath slower, and draw a smaller and smaller breath I think it follows you down…and this might be the cause of my machines acting odd from time to time.

Also: “Respironics mask resistance number, if you have Respironics masks, it gives an X factor to set. If you don't have that brand mask the directions will say to set this to Off/0.”

I found YOU REALLY need to set this for other masks, in my case running “0” made my new Dreamstation ASV hunt for correct flow or air volume, which cause it to jump around…drove me nuts…

Once I set it for  X1 it works correctly. These setting allow me to control the air VOLUME OR FLOW RATE, higher setting push more air, note NOT pressure, pressure stays the same no matter what.

Lastly I have not “It may be that your seemingly failed therapy” had failed therapy, I have had seemly failure of machines, (guess you have not been reading my post after all)

My sleep therapy has been very good and I often run well under 5AHIs per night and often under 2 AHIs.

My MAIN Complaint is how I seemly have had every Phillips machine break down with in a short time as in: 1st 950 1.5 year, #1 960 2.5/3 years, replacement rebuilt 950 just over 4000 hours, rebuild 960 still good but with just over 3000 hours (which with prior history I fear for its life) and the new Dreamstation ASV ONCE I set the mask at X1, turn off the BPM off auto and set it for 12 BPMs system seems to work great.

And as I am retired on SS and Access, do not have money to experiment with $3000+ sleep machines just to see if I will be happier, and as far as I can find out they may not have all that better service life, I can tell you their treatment of a customer is a sh**ty as is Phillips…WC Fields would love both companies as it “Go away boy, you bother me…”

So as I have had to do it all by myself I seek to learn as much as I can.

Rich

This is how I see it on the backup rate, first if you qualified for ASV then I don't think you'd ever choose Off or there is no backup rate as in the ASV/SVAuto will never nudge you when you have a CA that the machine needs to kick you into breathing. As for the number to set it, what do you see as data on current or historical breath rate? Example is you see 12 so I think you'd set machine backup rate at 2 below that or 10. You need some reduction in your normal spontaneous breath rate when you set this or the SVAuto is going to kick in sooner and you're then operating where the machine is more like a ventilator and timing your breaths. IMO not what you need in normal circumstances. On a vent/NIV yes maybe but not ASV/SVAuto machines. If backup rate has Auto set that and let it create historical numbers and then if you want manual go with a bit lower than historical.

Respironics mask resistance number, if you have Respironics masks, it gives an X factor to set. If you don't have that brand mask the directions will say to set this to Off/0.

I'm just commenting about your pursuit to dig deeper into the settings. If you don't understand what they are, I'd caution you to leave them alone or set it to Auto. It may be that your seemingly failed therapy might be easier to solve than you think. Here I could mention about what's been said in the past about the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV being very capable. And your response is I didn't like ResMed PAP in the past, and someone needs to send me one for free to try it and prove it. I sure am not sending you my ASV to prove anything. Why shirk off your responsibility to others? It's on you to get the right machine, or in fact any machine.

OK despite all that's been hashed several times, the point is you are looking to discover some deep secret in the deeper settings, but even if you decode the deeper settings, if your therapy isn't on the right track by now I'd point to the machine itself as in the past. You demand A++ therapy treatment out of B+ machines. It just doesn't work that way.
Post Reply Post Reply
Phalaronic, the titration protocol you attached was for Philips BiPAP Auto.  It's better than the ones I've been using, so thanks.  Do you have the BiPAP Auto SV from that publication?

[Image: attachment.php?aid=28197]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it helps any, I am on SSDI AKA Social Security Disability and PA EBT food stamps with original Medicare A, B, and D and Medicaid insurances with PA welfare/Medicaid paying my fees for Medicare D. I was able to get the ASV through Medicaid only when that was all I had in 2017 while awaiting appeals for the SSDI claim. If you'd have a doc do the medical necessity requirements, you should be able to qualify for the ASV assuming you proved medical need of course. Then insurance pays for it. Hopefully this bit of info helps.

BTW don't expect the manufacturers to offer much help on machine settings. They just make them. Most have the mindset that their customer the DME has that info so you should ask them.

PS added: I am in the process of getting a new ASV/SVAuto tomorrow via my new DME Lincare and Medicare/Medicaid paying. I need to have therapy that has adjustable backup rate and breath timing adjustments.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 116 Yesterday, 10:29 AM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 113 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 96 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 131 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  Resmed Tech Support Jeremy H 11 1,343 03-20-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 207 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Central apnea, graphs' meaning and ASV machine settings GT26 4 248 02-09-2024, 12:11 PM
Last Post: GT26

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.