Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Definition of Insulin Dependent
I noticed in the profile portion of a members post that they stated, "Diabetes Type II, Insulin Dependent."

I know some DM-II patients use insulin for control. But, does that mean they are Insulin Dependent? I was under the impression that Type I DM was by definition Insulin Dependent.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some type II diabetics need insulin to help their pancreas along. The pancreas is producing insulin, just not enough to maintain sugar balance. Typically these folks and some type I diabetics are on whats known as a "sliding scale", they have to take their blood sugar prior to eating so they know how much insulin they will need. Then add to the mix of how well other organ systems are running and it gets a bit complicated. Type I for sure is insulin dependent because the patients pancreas is not producing any insulin at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some places, like the Veterans Administration, use the term "Insulin Dependent" to categorize a persons status. When using medications like Metformin & Glipizide to control Type II Diabetes, the person is not insulin dependent and will have a lower disability rating than a person that has to take insulin in addition to medications.
Post Reply Post Reply

The "sliding scale" method of dosing insulin is outdated by about 20 years or more. Yes, there are still some doctors who use it, but if they would explore another option like insulin to carb ratio, they would find patients have much better control.

People with diabetes, both type 1 and type 2 can use Metformin plus insulin. Metformin helps with insulin resistance which can be a problem for diabetics no matter what your type.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2014, 09:33 AM)GrammaBear Wrote: The "sliding scale" method of dosing insulin is outdated by about 20 years or more. Yes, there are still some doctors who use it, but if they would explore another option like insulin to carb ratio, they would find patients have much better control.

Sounds like doctors who don't prescribe fully data capable CPAP machines and check the data. Plenty of them around.
Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Insulin, Inject cold or at room temp? justMongo 20 877 07-25-2016, 03:18 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear
Question Reuse of needles w insulin pens justMongo 25 2,612 07-03-2015, 08:13 AM
Last Post: DocWils