Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Definition of "awakenings and arousals"
Definition of "awakenings and arousals"
"The patient's sleep EEG was abnormal. Sleep onset occurred in 22 minutes; normally it is 15 to 20 minutes. He slept 4.7 out of 6 hours in bed. While he was asleep though, he had at least 191 awakenings and arousals, averaging out to 40.1 per hour of sleep, well above the normal of 5 per hour of sleep.

REM sleep onset was delayed at twice as long as usual at 186 minutes and made up just 3% of the night's study. Did have 18% spent in slow-wave sleep."

Alright, so I asked professor Google for a definition of "awakenings and arousals", and I searched here as well, but I didn't come up with anything. So, how is A&A defined and how is it related to apnea?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Definition of "awakenings and arousals"
Welcome to the forum shewhorn,

Here is a helpful link which includes the definition of "awakenings & arousals."

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...efinitions
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Opalrose that link helped me a lot also!
Post Reply Post Reply
My thought is that A&As could be the result of apnea events (when one is partially or totally awakened by the stress of a blocked air passage) in the case of obstructive apnea. I recall the time I was awakened gasping for air which led me to take the idea of apnea seriously and got me to a sleep clinic. At the same time, A&As could also be due to other reasons.
Does the report also indicate any findings about apnea, AHI in addition to AAs?

David
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Symptoms] Mysterious Arousals freakyfrog 7 118 Yesterday, 04:47 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,221 04-17-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
  Early awakenings - CPAP Help Sonatine600 0 362 11-22-2023, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Sonatine600
  Many Awakenings with Heart Rate Spikes jr991 3 527 11-18-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: jr991
  Respiratory effort- related arousals (RERA's) MrIvanDrago 3 749 11-01-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Suffering from Arousals. Potential unflagged obstructions? Norman2195 4 700 07-16-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: jkossis
  [CPAP] Are these flow patterns arousals? or just normal breathing? holycarrots 6 1,365 06-27-2023, 12:47 PM
Last Post: holycarrots

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.