Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome
Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome
Delayed sleep phase syndrome (DSPS)is a sleep disorder where people fall asleep at very late times and have a difficult time waking in the morning. Although a common sleep disorder, phase syndrome DSPS, has no cure. DSPS can cause significant interruption in a person's daily life because they have difficulty or are unable to wake up for school, work or other activities. In short, their circadian rhythm is disrupted. Circadian rhythm is the cycle that all living beings operate on and roughly is set on a 24-hour cycle. Circadian is a Latin derivative of terms that mean "about a day". DSPS is basically a sleep rhythm disorder.

The syndrome can be treated, but physicians often mistake it for insomnia. DSPS differs from insomnia in that patients who suffer from the disorder have a fairly consistent sleep pattern while insomnia sufferers do not. People with DSPS may report that they cannot fall asleep, sometimes until early morning, but they differ from insomniacs in that insomniacs are unable to fall asleep at the same time each night. People who suffer from DSPS literally live on a different clock that other people. With this syndrome, their circadian rhythm is interrupted thus causing them to operate on a different internal clock or sleep phase.

People with this delayed sleep syndrome, unlike people with insomnia, find that they sleep well when they are allowed to sleep according to their own sleep patterns. Insomniacs have trouble sleeping any time. If a person with DSPS is allowed to sleep according to his or her own internal clock, sleep comes easy and the person wakes refreshed and well rested. Insomniacs do not experience this. People with delayed sleep phase syndrome are "night owls". They often claim to function best at night. People with DSPS usually first experience the disorder in adolescence, childhood or even infancy. Doctors and parents may refer to this as the child "getting his days and nights mixed up". DSPS sufferers may report that they experience periods of time where they are able to fall asleep at normal times.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome
I'm betting I have this DSPS rather than insomnia. Interesting.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Paula... this does sound like you for sure from what I've heard you say.

But I guess the nice thing is that you work late at night when there's less chance of interruptions - and a tendency towards more efficiency due to that lack of interruption perhaps?

Have you tried light therapy with full-spectrum lighting to re-set your "internal clock"?

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
No, never tried the light. I've basically used good sleep hygeine and some other stuff that works with insomniacs. I can reset it for about a week but then it goes back. It is exhausting to try to keep it up. I function the best if I go to bed between 2 and 4 am. If I make myself go to bed sooner, then I tend to sleep ten to 12 hrs vs 8 if I delay going to bed.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have to work on two clocks which is even worse, when Im working Im on nights when Im off I have to revert back to normal and some weeks I only get one day off which is hellish but like paula Im usually up all night other wise if I sleep I could sleep the clock round which is a big no no due to being a carer.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Angry [CPAP] Beyond ASV with Overlap Syndrome! SarcasticDave94 278 21,415 10-16-2023, 10:38 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,362 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Symptoms] Only changed mask, fully aware during REM sleep phase? THEVGE 2 393 09-25-2023, 08:00 AM
Last Post: THEVGE
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 808 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  [Treatment] I have TMJ Syndrome and mask straps can aggravate it. KStanLD 7 1,032 07-14-2023, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Uphold9887

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.