Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dental Appliance and Mouth Open
Dental Appliance and Mouth Open
Hi,

I was diagnosed with moderare OSA a few years ago. I have tried CPAP for a few years with mediocre
results; I have a Resmed S9, some masks have been better than others (I use a nasal mask), but the results
have not been great (Though not a disaster)

My physician suggested a dental appliance.  (My dentist told me that an appliance would likely work for me)

My question is as follows:  My understanding is that it is much better to breathe through the nose than
through the mouth. 

Thus, is the very fact that the dental appliance opens the mouth's airway, and forces breathing through 
the mouth, not a major drawback?

Then again, the CPAP nasal masks put the pressure though the nose, so I suppose that they also force
breathing through the mouth.

Thanks,
DFR1
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dental Appliance and Mouth Open
I would recommend getting setup with SleepyHead software.

This wiki page has links to the download page and also links to instructions on how to organize the charts:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

There are members here who are knowledgeable in reading the data from your machine and may be able to help, based on what your data shows.
Post Reply Post Reply
The trouble with Nasal masks is they tend to cause leaks through the mouth, slow at first unless you open your mouth, but it can start off slow, then as air dries out the mouth more escapes.  Mouth appliances MAD devices have their problems with causing pain in a lot of people (though this sometimes subsides) and sometimes it is hard to close your mouth fully so you might end up breathing through your mouth.
Everyone is different though, and there is a few they work for.  However, I think it is easier to get a good APAP and use that instead.
However, if you get a MAD device to work, it can be a lot easier if you do travel around a lot.
I just do not fancy using a MAD device at all, I know of very few that still use one, a few started using one, but they use an APAP machine now, mostly with success.
The MADs are just so expensive for what they are.   Thinking-about
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi DFR1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 9 57 minutes ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 359 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 123 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 309 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.